• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Nice Homelite XL 12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My uncle passed away and this was his saw. He bought it new from my grandfather who sold Homelites since the 50's. My uncle took real good care of his stuff and the pictures will show that. Serial number is 44517928 so if I remember correctly that should make it a 1974 model. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Original 16 inch Homelite bar on it and you can still make out some of the lettering. Did a compression check and it has at least 140 PSI. Cousin tried to get it to run and couldn't get it to idle. he must have played with the adjustment screws as one was clear shut. Put them to normal position and ran great. Pulled the idle screw down and it is basically perfect now. Restarts with barely one pull. Very nice example with the stickers and paint in place. Don't know if the bar cover is original but it was on it so it's included. Tachs out at 10,500 RPM and smooth.

MVC-016S_6.JPG

MVC-013S_9.JPG

MVC-014S_7.JPG

MVC-015S_6.JPG

MVC-012S_11.JPG

MVC-011S_10.JPG

MVC-010S_10.JPG

MVC-009S_9.JPG

MVC-008S_10.JPG

MVC-007S_11.JPG

MVC-006S_15.JPG

MVC-005S_20.JPG

MVC-004S_15.JPG

MVC-003S_19.JPG

MVC-002S_27.JPG

MVC-001S_52.JPG

If you want close ups of anything I can easily do that. I'd like to get $85.00 or best offer. Either PM me or post here and I'll keep this open till September 1 High offer gets it. Shipping will be actual and not included in the price. If you give me your zip code I can get the shipping cost. If your close to Dayton , Ohio let me know and you can pick it up or run it if you wish. Also have a couple of original saw boxes too. We have all of Grandpa's parts stash but I'm pretty sure dad want's to keep those as he is a old school Homelite guy.

Nice saw, nice story to go with it. I'd like to have an XL12 one day, kinda the Homelite version of the 10-10 Mac.

The XL-12 was introduced before the 10-10. :D

Very nice example of a grand old saw.

I did not know that! Did the XL 12 come out in blue/white first, then roll on into red for textron years, or was it only ever red?

Very nice example indeed.

Textron owned Homelite since the early 1950's until John Deere bought the brand...

The first XL-12's were blue/white. Other variants (XL-15, XL-Automatic) were red (either red/white, red/white/black, or red/white/green) almost from the beginning. There wasn't a 'set' date where the saws in this series 'switched' to red. It's a common misconception. Years ago, a fellow here kept INSISTING that these saws were all blue/white until 1971, when Homelite 'switched' to red. Laughable.....

Actual XL-12's started being red/black (like the saw in this thread) in the mid 1970s. Several other models in this family had been red/black long before.

Textron owned Homelite since the early 1950's until John Deere bought the brand...

The first XL-12's were blue/white. Other variants (XL-15, XL-Automatic) were red (either red/white, red/white/black, or red/white/green) almost from the beginning. There wasn't a 'set' date where the saws in this series 'switched' to red. It's a common misconception. Years ago, a fellow here kept INSISTING that these saws were all blue/white until 1971, when Homelite 'switched' to red. Laughable.....

Actual XL-12's started being red/black (like the saw in this thread) in the mid 1970s. Several other models in this family had been red/black long before.

Textron acquired Homelite in 1955 and sold them to Deere in 1994. Deere in turn sold them in 2001 to TechTronics, the XL-12 came out in 1963.

Cool. Thanks for that, didn't know any of it so I was under that same impression that they were all blue/white until Textron took over and changed to red+. Funny how we get ideas in our heads.

That said, in the condition this XL12 is in, if it were a blue/white variant it'd already be on it's way here. Don't know why, but I dig the blue over the red.

Latest posts

Back