Nice while it lasted...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WE have had 5, 100 yr floods in the last 10 yrs.

That means absolutely nothing... don't get the idea that the so-called 100-year-flood only happens every 100 years. That misleading name is based on statistical averages of available data only (notice the"averages" and "available"). That data does not conclude that the so-called 100-year-flood only occurs every 100 years, rather it concludes that there is a 1-in-100 chance that such a flood can occur in any given year.

The data is derived from many sources, from actual human record keeping to geological evidence, and everything in-between. Five so-called 100-year-floods in the last 10 years isn't even close to skewing the conclusion of data ... it isn't even a blip on the screen. Although many dooms-day profits love pointing to such things... it is nothing and means nothing!

That may be. But they are the only floods around here in my lifetime. Of substance or destruction that is.

That may be. But they are the only floods around here in my lifetime. Of substance or destruction that is.
You are wasting your time.

When I was a kid my Dad and I would have such discussions with my Grandfather, and you could prove your point beyond a shadow of a doubt. Then he would say "well.....", and you knew that you'd proved nothing. To him anyway - it didn't matter. People believe what they want to believe, and then use their powers of reasoning to rationalize/justify that.

What makes you think we can't grow food in a drought? We managed this year though it was horribly dry...

Edit for clarification...
The American farmer has always been able to change his practices to adapt to changing business climates and weather trends as well... He's been, for the most part, free to do so as he sees fit to survive...
And all this while being a good steward to the land.

The way Govt. has a rubber glove in everything the farmer has been put on a shorter leash every year.:angry:

I'm waiting for the sorry buggers to tell us we can't drill a well any more...
For the environment of course...

I have read in some places they want you to install a meter on the well so they can tax you/ fee you/ whatever they want to call it on gallons pumped.

I you are worried about wells in the future, drill/bore an extra one now then sort of forget about it and cover it up with some assorted farm junk...

I have read in some places they want you to install a meter on the well so they can tax you/ fee you/ whatever they want to call it on gallons pumped.

I you are worried about wells in the future, drill/bore an extra one now then sort of forget about it and cover it up with some assorted farm junk...

Sorry but I can't afford to buy a rotary well drilling rig and the commercial outfits report every well drilled. Not sure to which agency.

Harry K

Back