Nice while it lasted...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't count on a sissy heating year like last winter. Better get your wood up it could be a cold one. If there is one thing I know for sure, is that I know nothing, about the coming winter!

don't know about it being to hot, here in Scotland we have had two of the wettest summers on record. bring on the heat I say.

:blob2:

Yer comments about "real"/"junk" "science" sound like the stuff we heard during "W"'s administration, from his senior advisors. Like they'd recognize the difference. At least "W" finally saw some light there.

Climate is a concept that confuses most meteorologists. Way too many data points. Not to worry, though, folks like McConnell and Boehner will do their best to let it ride. The ostrich solution.

It should be noted that carbon dioxide has been accumulating in the atmosphere and the oceans (sayonara shellfish) for a few centuries, with a correlated effect in the global climate. Fairly straightforward result to massive computations.

Normally neglected is the effect of increasing water vapor in the atmosphere from the above, and the increasing release of methane from boreal bogs. Water vapor and methane are enormously more effective greenhouse gases than carbon dioxide per molecule. And there's lots of water vapor, especially from tropical seas. These transports occur on such a massive scale, that much research is ongoing and more will be required. Serious stability problem.

Meaning, we need any and all peer-reviewed research we can muster, and we should get serious about the future of the planet. Like, the faster we drill for oil and extract gas, the sooner the gauge reads empty. Hell, we may have to drop labor-saving for planet-saving.

Are you a meteorologist???
If not...
Pipe down, and stop drinking Al Gore's Kool-aide...

Good grief!

Seasonal and regional variations mask long term changes. But when I was a kid we skated on local ponds, and I remember we got a pickup truck out on the 2' thick ice of a large local lake when I was a teenager. My kids never experienced that. The climate and the weather is quite different around here now, and I've seen it with my own eyes.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter much what people believe the cause is, because we're not going to change what we're doing and the changes are pretty much locked in for the next couple of hundred years.

I'll be interested to see how much wood I need this year, as last year was a major reduction. I kind of suspect this one will be the same, but you never know.

Yes! I accept that a lot of the current warmup is due to mankind but I recognize that it is already past the point we can correct without a majore scientific discovery. No matter what, we will NOT revert to 1930s technology or even 1970s. To do either we would have to decimate the world population.

That latter is probably what Mother Nature would like, Homo Sap meets every definition of a parasite - all take, no give.

Harry K

No frogs, toads, snakes, lizards, or even mice in the wood stacks... no bugs, grubs or worms under dead logs and such.
I haven't heard a single tree frog this year... and only the rare locust.
It almost feels like I'm on an alien planet... like I don't belong here... weird, and scary at the same time.

If you keep dousing everything on your property with used motor oil and Round Up, hows anything supposed to survive in that future Super Fund site.:givebeer: Not Budwiser...but a Spaten Octoberfest;)

Yes! I accept that a lot of the current warmup is due to mankind but I recognize that it is already past the point we can correct without a majore scientific discovery. No matter what, we will NOT revert to 1930s technology or even 1970s. To do either we would have to decimate the world population.

That latter is probably what Mother Nature would like, Homo Sap meets every definition of a parasite - all take, no give.

Harry K
The present world population is a result of the "Green Revolution", which was essentially methods to turn fossil fuel into food (indirectly). With the decline of fossil fuel production rates that won't be possible continue, especially when combined with what climate change is doing to agricultural output worldwide. So you can figure out what will happen to population, and maintaining 1930's level technology will be an incredible feat. I don't expect this to happen instantaneously.

The present world population is a result of the "Green Revolution", which was essentially methods to turn fossil fuel into food (indirectly). With the decline of fossil fuel production rates that won't be possible continue, especially when combined with what climate change is doing to agricultural output worldwide. So you can figure out what will happen to population, and maintaining 1930's level technology will be an incredible feat. I don't expect this to happen instantaneously.

At face value, I could see how that would seem likely... But there's one variable you left out of your equation...
The ability of us folks to improve our lot...
:msp_sneaky:

Been around 70 out here. Went out the other day to find a place to put a deer stand. When I got back and took off my socks, and I had 15 of those pesky deer ticks all over my feet. Better than finding a yellow jacket nest though.

At face value, I could see how that would seem likely... But there's one variable you left out of your equation...
The ability of us folks to improve our lot...
Which roughly translates into "they'll think of something". Luck ain't much of a plan......

I realize that, but you coming up with a plan for 100 years from now, is like Abe Lincoln coming up with a plan for a nuclear missile...
Just sayin...
I got no plan, I'm a passenger. I just have an idea that we're on a different ride than my fellow park visitors think we are.

I got no plan, I'm a passenger. I just have an idea that we're on a different ride than my fellow park visitors think we are.

I understand that thought... But I know for a fact, I can feed 100 people using half the fuel next year.... No problem... Just a matter of EPA regs...
Most of us farmers aren't as stupid as the libs think we are...

Are you a meteorologist???
If not...
Pipe down, and stop drinking Al Gore's Kool-aide...

Good grief!

Good grief yourself! I happen to be an educated person (got a problem with that?) who's interested in the care of this rock we're on. Much information is regularly published on matters affecting climate, which I happen to not ignore. It's called connecting the dots. Exercises the little grey cells- we all could use that.

In recent studies, meteorologists failed pretty badly in understanding climate, vice weather. So, why do you ask such a silly question, pretending that's a qualification to be able to speak?

Still taking childish pot-shots at Gore, rather than discussing content? Waste of time. What's this kool-aid crap?

As an American citizen, and naval officer, I will NEVER EVER "pipe down" on your command, on matters that I think need to be discussed openly. You pushed the wrong button there.

Maybe I gave you too much to digest? Or didn't fit into your mold? Want everybody at 6th grade level? Too bad.

I understand that thought... But I know for a fact, I can feed 100 people using half the fuel next year.... No problem... Just a matter of EPA regs...

That sounds paranoid. Thought you'd be more secure in standing your ground.

Just who are the "libs"? Assuming that you understand that some folks are relatively liberal (open-minded) on some topics and relatively conservative (fixed) on others. Makes it real hard to apply such a label IMHO.

Never heard anyone characterize farmers as stupid. Such a characterization would itself be stupid. Farmers are some of the biggest high-stakes gamblers going, and it's going to take more and more skill on their part to cope with changing weather patterns- fields submerged one year, dust bowl the next. Hopefully, yours are green.

Overall, sweeping changes aren't likely, but lots of little personal course corrections can get a lot done. Many are finding that their consumerist ways did not benefit them. Bye, bye, Hummer, Escalade, multi-mansions.

...I will NEVER EVER "pipe down"...

Well, I don't buy into the "man made" climate change in any way, shape or form... just not believin' a few measly humans have the power to effect the cycles of something so powerful as the workings of the universe. The earth has warmed before, the earth has cooled before, the continents have broken apart and slammed back together, mountains stand where oceans have been, we now walk where mega-fauna once did...

But, just because I-am-who-I-am, and I-am-what-I-am, and I've been told to "pipe down" before (yeah, I know, that's a huge surprise), I'm reppin' ya' for the above quote...

That sounds paranoid. Thought you'd be more secure in standing your ground.

Just who are the "libs"? Assuming that you understand that some folks are relatively liberal (open-minded) on some topics and relatively conservative (fixed) on others. Makes it real hard to apply such a label IMHO.

Never heard anyone characterize farmers as stupid. Such a characterization would itself be stupid. Farmers are some of the biggest high-stakes gamblers going, and it's going to take more and more skill on their part to cope with changing weather patterns- fields submerged one year, dust bowl the next. Hopefully, yours are green.

Overall, sweeping changes aren't likely, but lots of little personal course corrections can get a lot done. Many are finding that their consumerist ways did not benefit them. Bye, bye, Hummer, Escalade, multi-mansions.

You do yourself no favors when you assume you speak from the educational high ground... If you fill your gray matter with garbage, you just become a garbage spreader... Which you are...
So I'll say it again... Pipe down kitty... You don't impress me... Go back to your Kool-aide now...

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone calling farmers stupid, certainly not me. And I don't do the liberal vs. conservative, D vs. R thing - that's a distraction to keep the people fighting amongst themselves so they don't focus on what's really going on. For all the constant bellowing from both sides, there is no substantive difference between them. I find that once people put on a team jersey they stop looking at ideas clearly.

You may be able to feed double next year, but looking at this: US Drought Monitor tells me that if it continues we won't be feeding double in general, especially combined with higher fuel prices. And the historical record is that such droughts have happened before, and sometimes lasted for a hundred years - and that's with much lower CO2 levels.

I don't recall anyone calling farmers stupid, certainly not me. And I don't do the liberal vs. conservative, D vs. R thing - that's a distraction to keep the people fighting amongst themselves so they don't focus on what's really going on. For all the constant bellowing from both sides, there is no substantive difference between them. I find that once people put on a team jersey they stop looking at ideas clearly.

You may be able to feed double next year, but looking at this: US Drought Monitor tells me that if it continues we won't be feeding double in general, especially combined with higher fuel prices. And the historical record is that such droughts have happened before, and sometimes lasted for a hundred years - and that's with much lower CO2 levels.

What makes you think we can't grow food in a drought? We managed this year though it was horribly dry...

Edit for clarification...
The American farmer has always been able to change his practices to adapt to changing business climates and weather trends as well... He's been, for the most part, free to do so as he sees fit to survive...
And all this while being a good steward to the land.

Last edited:
Back