Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Model 52 is actually my saw. Dean's saw was the Model 44 with the bow.

My apologies, since Dean is the 2 man saw guru I assumed it was his. Just goes to show what happens when you assume...

I went back to edit the original post and it would not let me.

Last edited:
My apologies, since Dean is the 2 man saw guru I assumed it was his. Just goes to show what happens when you assume...

Not a problem, Gary. You did an awesome job with pics & videos and I certainly appreciate it. I usually can't even keep up with saw models when I've posted pics and vids in the past let alone who owned them.

Quake

Well, about an hour ago I was in the kitchen and the wife and baby were in the living room. Then the whole shuddered for about 30 seconds. We dont get earthquakes around here. Last one I remember was when I was in highschool. The wife freaked out a bit cause shes a girl and dramatic. After I calmed her down I did a quick walk around, nothing broke or cracked. Turns out there was a 4.5 earthquake north of us in Maine and it was felt all the way to RI.

Not a problem, Gary. You did an awesome job with pics & videos and I certainly appreciate it. I usually can't even keep up with saw models when I've posted pics and vids in the past let alone who owned them.

I got several of the videos wrong, I selected from the thumbnail on my computer and when they loaded I found out it was someone other than I thought or an entirely different saw. Since I did not arrive early I could only guess who came with what saw and when there were multiples of the same model it became even more confusing. Maybe I need to go back to making notes after each picture or video like I used to do when photographing antique cars.

Well, about an hour ago I was in the kitchen and the wife and baby were in the living room. Then the whole shuddered for about 30 seconds. We dont get earthquakes around here. Last one I remember was when I was in highschool. The wife freaked out a bit cause shes a girl and dramatic. After I calmed her down I did a quick walk around, nothing broke or cracked. Turns out there was a 4.5 earthquake north of us in Maine and it was felt all the way to RI.

Wow!! I didn't feel it here, but I'm in southern RI.

Glad all is well Joe! Quakes aren't something we get much here either. The few we have had over the years, I all ways seem to be outside and doing or driving something, and have never felt one.
Some strong enough to rattle dishes etc. I'm sure it can be an unsettling feeling, sitting in your home with no warning. And I'm not a girl!! LOL

:cheers:
Gregg,

Well the Mrs. Modified is a pretty smart ole gal. She sent a old one she didnt need as she figured I would get to drinkin, jawing and forget it. :ices_rofl:
We just celibrated our 25th last month so she had plenty of time to get to know me well enough to learn all that. Dont worry about it, it might make a good pan to work on saws with. :rock:

Some rep for you Mark and the Mrs. for going the mile.

Pp 380

Well I added another of one of my favorite series of Poulan's to my arsenal. I bought a clean Super 380 off ebay last week. Come to find out it belonged to a member here (Timberdollars).
I got it PHO and added a 20" 3/8 b&c to it. The p&c are spotless. It appears to have a nice MM already done as you can see in the pics. I have a 330 that I put a 60cc topend on it (which may make a trip in the near future to get molested by the monkey with a gun) but I have always been on the lookout for an original 380. Can't wait to give it a run.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the rep and the good words friends!

I just come in from doing some post GTG cleanup on some saws!

I also have to admit that I learned a few things from this GTG.

First is put your glasses on and make sure your chains are sharp like there supposed to be. I wondered why my Partner 5500 wasnt as impressive as it was before. I thought I had sharpened it before it was put away the last time I used it, but I guess I didnt. :bang:

I also learned that I still can sharpen one by hand properly when I want to, even on a truck tailgate. After putting my chain on the 475 and sharpening it, it pulled chunks of wood!!

Second is DO NOT set a jug of bar oil between two saws in the trailer where it could come in contact with a sharp bucking spike! Its just a matter of time before the mess occurs. :bang:

Third is I seen my first Champion plug fail in many years! My 4620 that I just got wasnt running right at the GTG, seemed to be missing. Put a new plug in it tonight and its running strong again. Did you know that a muffler modded 4620 will turn 13,500 RPM and still 4 stroke??? I do now.

In trying to drain the gas out of some saws to run them dry, I decided to make up a system to drain the fuel into and filter it before going back into the can.

I came up with a funnel with a fitting put in it to attach a 3/8's fuel line to and ran it through a clear auto fuel filter before it went to the fuel jug. Worked like a charm.

Well I added another of one of my favorite series of Poulan's to my arsenal. I bought a clean Super 380 off ebay last week. Come to find out it belonged to a member here (Timberdollars).
I got it PHO and added a 20" 3/8 b&c to it. The p&c are spotless. It appears to have a nice MM already done as you can see in the pics. I have a 330 that I put a 60cc topend on it (which may make a trip in the near future to get molested by the monkey with a gun) but I have always been on the lookout for an original 380. Can't wait to give it a run.

Thats a very nice saw. I had seen it and was debating it. I'm glad you made my mind up for me! :ices_rofl:

Seriously glad you got it. I knew it was Duane's and figured it would be a good one.

Tried to send out some new saw rep but I'll have to try again later.

Not sure that I have ever felt one around here, glad it wasnt bad by you.

Congratulations on the 25 years Mark. It is always great to hear about people who make it that far.

I am still very impressed with the job that you did on that saw for Andre.
You make me want to go green, and that 475 wow that was really super too. I do not know what he did to the 475 but it looked fast to me.

Thanks Roger.

Like I said that video of Andre's 5200 didnt show what its capable of at all. It should be a really good runner.

The 475 is flat awsome! I hope to get it over to Eds this weekend to help him with a big tree. I will be strapping a larger bar on it and it should get even stronger with some more time on it. You have to remember that the top end is BRAND NEW!

Andre says it might take some time for it to fully break in as it was a pretty tight fit and finish.

attachment.php

That is a Great looking 380!!! Much nicer than mine. I was planning on giving mine a turn on the cant at the GTG. Went to start it, and the GTG jinx hit it.:mad: Pulled the cord right out of it..so didn't run it.

I took the recoil off today, reattached the cord, it started on the 3rd. pull, and run like a champ. Figures.:dizzy: I'm going to be cutting wood tomorrow. So I just might take it along and take the video camera, just to prove it runs...LOL

Mine just has a muffler mod, thats it. But, it has run great, and cut a lot of wood since I have had it. Its probably the lightest saw I use regularly.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Cut another tree down...........................................................:ices_rofl:

We cut three down this summer, only problem, we cut the stumps down too! I have one more Maple stump near my house I can use. The one I've been using is awfully handy, being just a few feet from my garage. The stump you're seeing is so bad now that you could almost run your fist through it, but it might be good for 20 more saws..

Poulan 245A restoration

Hi all. I am relatively new to this site, but have already retrieved a lot of valuable information about restoring my dad's old saw from this forum. His old saw, which is now my latest restoration project is actually a Dayton 2Z463, which is just a repainted Poulan 245A. I dug it out of an old van that he was storing it in and started in on the restoration. He had it converted over to electronic ignition in the mid 1990's, so I don't need to worry about the points and condemser. So far, I gave it a good cleaning, replaced the pull rope, the fuel line and filter in the tank, the bar and chain, cleaned the Tillotson HS-59B carb, installed a new gasket set in the carb, replaced the reed valve, and replaced the gasket between the carb and the throat on the engine intake. When I put the carb back together, I set the H and L screws to 1 and 1/4 turns out from the bottom. The saw starts easy, idles on its own, and revs like a banshee. The problem is that when I put the saw in the cut, it quickly loses power and wants to stall. If I pull out of the cut and feather the throttle I can keep it running and it will then idle again and rev back up. But as soon as it is back in the cut, it dies out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Here is my PP Super 380. Put the starter rope back in, and put in the wood today. They do cut great, and fairly light to boot. Proof that it does run. :)

PP380001.jpg

PP380009.jpg

PP380012.jpg

[video=youtube;mZqXWWRCd5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mZqXWWRCd5M[/video]

Gregg,

Here is my PP Super 380. Put the starter rope back in, and put in the wood today. They do cut great, and fairly light to boot. Proof that it does run. :)

PP380001.jpg

PP380009.jpg

PP380012.jpg

[video=youtube;mZqXWWRCd5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mZqXWWRCd5M[/video]

Gregg,

Man, your Super 380 would cut circles around mine...I guess I need to check mine out a little, and sharpen the chain!

Latest posts

Back