Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wanna get all weepy or anything, but I just wanted to tell you regulars thank you.

I started this obsession with a "should i buy it" post about a saw just like the cherry grey one above, only it wasn't quite so cherry. Thanks to the encouragement and bluntness of the regular guys on the poulan thread, I now have a bunch of great running saws. Every time I cut firewood or log a bit I have to take a camera because I want to remember the job. I used to hate gathering wood, but just like my dad and pap, it grew on me. I love the time with my kids when they can help and can't wait for the next chance I have to fire back up the saw.

Your generosity with your knowledge and even spare parts, makes it happen. I'll always try to do the same in return.

Thanks guys.
image-3.jpg

Very nice!! I know how you feel about taking pics of your wood cutting adventures. I don't do it as much as I should, but have done it on occasion. I'm not old yet! :DLOL 59. But one never knows just how long a fella can get out and do these things, that I enjoy doing, even if it is work.

Its kinda nice to able to look back at past pics and remember the day of cutting vividly. Kinda like past deer hunts, brings back memories. My problem is I usually forget to take the camera..Like Sunday, was out cutting with my 4200, and sisters BF was using his new to him 4000 I made for him..no camera..:msp_mad:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Just broke down and bought my 1st saw a Poulan Pro 50cc 2-Cycle 20-in....in a matter of days I've run upon some really nice "hedge" Osage Orange which is rather tough on the chain.
I'm still real new to this Saw, Firewood & getting out in the Woods period deal...BUT I LOVE THE HELL OUTA IT!:rock:

I'm attaching a few pics to see what chain would work best on my 20in bar or do I even have enough bar to tackle these type logs/bottoms.:confused2:

I MUST HAVE & MASTER THIS WOOD...FAILURE TO HARVEST IT...IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!:chainsaw::hypnotized:

I'd really appreciate it...I would have never recognized and scored on this awesome wood had it not been for the 'STUDS' FROM ABORISTSITE.COM!!!:bowdown:

Thanks & Have Blessed Merry Christmas

ReggieT

Reggie, I'm guessing that you have the Poulan Pro 5020. If yes, have you read Modified Mark's thread on the saw? It's a long thread, but well worth reading.

Mark's thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm

5020 threads:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...606297bbcbd75d&bpcl=39468505&biw=1366&bih=498

Some of those pieces of osage orange/hedge look too large for a 50cc saw running a 20" bar, unless you run semi-skip or skip cahin. I've cut osage orange using a 20" bar with chisel chain, but it was attached to a Jonsered 670 Champ, not a PP5020.

Reggie, in my opinion a 50 cc saw is maxed out with a 20 " bar. Esp. in the hardwood your cutting. Osage Orange or what they call in Texas Horses Apple or Bois D'arc is a very hard wood. I wouldn't go any longer. You might get rid of the safety chain, if you're comfortable with doing so, and getting either a semi-chisel (for dirty wood) or chisel(clean wood). I've had good luck with Woodland Pro from Baileys. Stihl also makes a good chain as well.
Bob

Bob, quite surprisingly, the 5020 & the rebadged Craftsman don't come with safety chain.

I got my 4000 from the PNW and it came with a 28" on it. Never tried any longer on it.

As impressive as a 4000 is, I wish I could be there when you try the 4200. You will have a smile on your face.

I have been looking for a 451 for some time. Found one a while back but it was rough and the guy thought it was made of gold, so I guess he still has it.

32" is a lot of bar for a 64cc saw. As long as a fellow didn't make a habit out of it, ran a good chain, and had a tight 'touch' they'd be OK. Wouldn't want to bet my life on it felling a big tree that's a heavy leaner........and I'd be concerned about the life of the clutch however. I've ran a 32" B/C on an older 70cc saw of another color. It did OK, but the 82cc saw that's now wearing that B/C (avy pic) runs it with MUCH more authority. I have a 36" D176 bar that I may try on a 245 someday for poops and giggles.:D

There was a Dayton branded 451 for sale at an estate sale down the street from me a few years ago. It had broken castings (clutch cover and rear handle/carb box IIRC) and they had a price tag of something like $150 on it........so I passed. Meant to go back and offer them something more realistic later on, but I never did. We moved to another town about a month after that sale. Saw a green one on feebay last year. I bid on it, but bowed out early as I'd already spent my 'saw money' for the month. IIRC it didn't go for too much money.

Last edited:
Today's haul.

Went over to my local ex poulan dealer and got the one owner to go out to the barn of treasures and I had a fill a box day. I made out pretty well. The carcasses are a 361 with a good piston and cylinder with goofed up exhaust bolt threads, a 3000, and a 245a with a perfect jug and piston and a cracked case. I already scarfed two 306a saws from him for 5 bucks, so I have everything to build a 245 now. Took a little pickin, but I got there. I also got a nice shinny 500 with a supposed bad coil that runs nice till hot. Then i found a 360 shinny with a broken chain brake at the recycling center that started on the old gas and runs very nice for 2 bucks.

It was a good day. If anyone needs 361 parts, I don't need them and there is another complete one over there. I am going to keep the starter handle from the 361 for the 245 build as it is in near perfect shape. Oh... And the box is full of extra tidbits like fuel and oil caps from all vintages.
image-20.jpg

Last edited:
Went over to my local ex poulan dealer and got the one owner to go out to the barn of treasures and I had a fill a box day. I made out pretty well. The carcasses are a 361 with a good piston and cylinder with goofed up exhaust bolt threads, a 3000, and a 245a with a perfect jug and piston and a cracked case. I already scarfed two 306a saws from him for 5 bucks, so I have everything to build a 245 now. Took a little pickin, but I got there. I also got a nice shinny 500 with a supposed bad coil that runs nice till hot. Then i found a 360 shinny with a broken chain brake at the recycling center that started on the old gas and runs very nice for 2 bucks.

It was a good day. If anyone needs 361 parts, I don't need them and there is another complete one over there. I am going to keep the starter handle from the 361 for the 245 build as it is in near perfect shape. Oh... And the box is full of extra tidbits like fuel and oil caps from all vintages.
image-20.jpg

Very Nice. Looks like you will have plenty to do.

Looking for an informed opinion

I don't have either yet but wanted your opinion on which you like better.

Pioneer/Partner 500 or Poulan 305?

I may have an opportunity to pick up a nice 500 but really like the old Poulans

poulan 5200 & Poulan Pro 455

well last night my friend stopped by so i could take a look @ the old Poulan(multi colored paint job) i posted about a few weeks ago and the PP455. The Poulan turned out to be a 5200 (24"bar) and with new fuel lines etc it fired up and ran good. serious old school saw for me, the PP455 is in my possesion and has broke rings and slightly scored piston. has 24" bar as well. it is missing the muffler, plug, pull rope handle and probably a few other things.View attachment 265825View attachment 265826

I don't have either yet but wanted your opinion on which you like better.

Pioneer/Partner 500 or Poulan 305?

I may have an opportunity to pick up a nice 500 but really like the old Poulans

Let me say it like this, as a guy who owns 8 of the Partner 500 based saws, and 3 of the Poulan 3000 based saws, I will not say which I like better. :hmm3grin2orange: There is no reason to not have them both!

The Partner 500 was introduced about 6 years before the Poulan 3000 was and set the standard at the time for 50cc saws as far as I'm concerned. The 3000 is as good a saw, and is probably a little stronger then the 500 in the cut and about on par with the 5000+ saws.

well last night my friend stopped by so i could take a look @ the old Poulan(multi colored paint job) i posted about a few weeks ago and the PP455. The Poulan turned out to be a 5200 (24"bar) and with new fuel lines etc it fired up and ran good. serious old school saw for me, the PP455 is in my possesion and has broke rings and slightly scored piston. has 24" bar as well. it is missing the muffler, plug, pull rope handle and probably a few other things.View attachment 265825View attachment 265826

Interesting paint job for sure. It looks like it needs an "S"clip spacer for that bar unless it's just really happy to see you.

Let me say it like this, as a guy who owns 8 of the Partner 500 based saws, and 3 of the Poulan 3000 based saws, I will not say which I like better. :hmm3grin2orange: There is no reason to not have them both!

The Partner 500 was introduced about 6 years before the Poulan 3000 was and set the standard at the time for 50cc saws as far as I'm concerned. The 3000 is as good a saw, and is probably a little stronger then the 500 in the cut and about on par with the 5000+ saws.

Thanks for te feedback Mark. I heard you had both.
I don't think I can have both. I know where I can get a fairly good looking 500 and a parts saw to go with it for a reasonable price. I know a guy who just rebuilt a 305 who's not too excited about it but would like the Partners. If I can get the Partners I was thinking about trying to arrange a trade. The 305 looks like a new saw.
We'll see what happens. If they're still around over Christmas I will likely get the Partners anyway.
Fixing up the 3700 I picked up for $20. The compression is at 160 lbs and it has good spark. I need to find a bar adjuster pin, an air filter and a duck bill check valve to make it complete. I will rob them off one of the 3400's to try it out.
I suppose I could make the pin and shoot my own duck and make the valve.

I am sure looking forward to firing it up.

20" bar OK with that saw?

With 160 PSI that saw should have enough torque to handle a 20" easy.

That is one of the things I like about the 3700 over the 3800 is the compression. I have dropped the cylinders on 2, 3800's now to a squish of .025 and the psi is still only 150. I still like the 3800 because they will still cut really well even though they are not quit as strong as a good 3700 and they do not appear to sell for as much as 3700.

Stink.

Well, it turns out I now have three 306s and no 245s. Stinkin saw was labeled 245 with a 245 starter.

Anyone need any 306 parts? Grrrr.

Well, it turns out I now have three 306s and no 245s. Stinkin saw was labeled 245 with a 245 starter.

Anyone need any 306 parts? Grrrr.

Sorry your bubble got burst but that low top tank cover screamed 306. The 245 had a much taller tank and air filter cover. If that saw does have a good top end on it, I would never turn that down! :msp_wink:

If you do find a 245 and it needs rings, I just ended up with a boat load of what I think are 245 rings.

Ok maybe not a big boat load but about 8 sets....

Sorry your bubble got burst but that low top tank cover screamed 306. The 245 had a much taller tank and air filter cover. If that saw does have a good top end on it, I would never turn that down! :msp_wink:

If you do find a 245 and it needs rings, I just ended up with a boat load of what I think are 245 rings.

Ok maybe not a big boat load but about 8 sets....

Yeah. My bubble burst. Lol.

I should have a good 306 set for you if y want one. Pm me if so.:)

Back