Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for te feedback Mark. I heard you had both.
I don't think I can have both. I know where I can get a fairly good looking 500 and a parts saw to go with it for a reasonable price. I know a guy who just rebuilt a 305 who's not too excited about it but would like the Partners. If I can get the Partners I was thinking about trying to arrange a trade. The 305 looks like a new saw.
We'll see what happens. If they're still around over Christmas I will likely get the Partners anyway.
Fixing up the 3700 I picked up for $20. The compression is at 160 lbs and it has good spark. I need to find a bar adjuster pin, an air filter and a duck bill check valve to make it complete. I will rob them off one of the 3400's to try it out.
I suppose I could make the pin and shoot my own duck and make the valve.

Hmmm. I've got 3 3000's is your so inclined.

Thanks for te feedback Mark. I heard you had both.
I don't think I can have both. I know where I can get a fairly good looking 500 and a parts saw to go with it for a reasonable price. I know a guy who just rebuilt a 305 who's not too excited about it but would like the Partners. If I can get the Partners I was thinking about trying to arrange a trade. The 305 looks like a new saw.
We'll see what happens. If they're still around over Christmas I will likely get the Partners anyway.
Fixing up the 3700 I picked up for $20. The compression is at 160 lbs and it has good spark. I need to find a bar adjuster pin, an air filter and a duck bill check valve to make it complete. I will rob them off one of the 3400's to try it out.
I suppose I could make the pin and shoot my own duck and make the valve.

Well if your going to use it a lot the 305 is probably a better choice as you can still get parts for it.

LOL. Just sold one for less than I thought it should bring. Luck of the auction. Think I have 3 left but I never know what's on my shelf/floor/ wherever I can fit them.
Bob

I seen that one Bob, should have brought more, someone got a deal. I got busy and forgot about it or someone would have had to pay more for it or I would have owned another one.

Howdy Mark,

Whats your experience or thoughts on those "carbide tipped chain saw chains"?:msp_confused:
I'm reading many folks swear by em...others hate them...just curious.

Thanks

ReggieT

What I don't like about them is there not a Poulan and that's all I got to say about them here and now.:laugh:

Carbide.

Howdy Mark,

Whats your experience or thoughts on those "carbide tipped chain saw chains"?:msp_confused:
I'm reading many folks swear by em...others hate them...just curious.

Thanks

ReggieT

They are expensive.. Around $65 for a 16" chain that is hard for me to resharpen is not interesting to me. I can touch up a chain with a file in five mins from pretty dull to razor sharp a lot of times before its worn out. If I use one carbide chain and hit the dirt where there is a pebble I knock a few teeth off and have nothing. If you cut logs that were drug through the sandy rocky dirt all day long, maybe its worth it. I'd just buy 4 good chains, 2 semi and 2 full chisel and look for a sharpener you like. I know everyone hates them, but my Wagnerized (lol) harbor freight sharpener has sharped a lot of chains for the 25 bucks it cost me.

I am having trouble with my 3750 oiling. Its a mess oil all over everything, with the clutch cover off it seems fine, with the bar and chain on at high rpm it ends up everywhere. Before I dig into it is there anything I should check first? Does it have to do with the bar?

Thanks, Andy

I took some of your guys advice and cut out some outer bar plates to stop the flow of oil out the other side of the bar and its a lot cleaner now. Thanks to those who gave sound advice!

Andy

Did i see somebody looking for a 245 p&c awhile back ??
noticed today i think i have one with a dayton cover on it.
muffler is off and the piston looks fine..
do i have to take the case apart on the clutch side to get at the two bolts on that side ??

Yes it is in my possession and if the good Lord is willing, it will be here for a long time to come!
It is still a great runner as Mark and Randy B. can attest.

I have to wonder though.................................................what could Mastermind do with one now, after the added experience of a hundred or so port jobs?................:rock:

Mike

Randy has my PP365 right now so we shall see what a little extra experience and displacement will do:rock:

Back