Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew you'd get it welded back together, despite what some others said:blob2:.

Fossil,
I wonder if you can just fuse the polyethelyne back together using a soldering gun? I've fixed an air leak in a plastic Rollez tire and welded a trimmer muffler guard back together recently using just a solder gun to melt things back together - no welding rod used.
I have a plastic boat that I believe is manufactured out of roto-molded polyethelyne (a Logic, later to become Triumph boats). Supposedly you can fix gouges in it by just using a heat gun to melt it back together.

There is actually a plastic weld product that uses heat. Commonly lude to repair ATV plastic etc. but it's a PITA to use. I always used to seal my duck decoys up with a soldering iron. I had a hunting partner that used to shoot them sometimes (some friend huh?)

There is actually a plastic weld product that uses heat. Commonly lude to repair ATV plastic etc. but it's a PITA to use. I always used to seal my duck decoys up with a soldering iron. I had a hunting partner that used to shoot them sometimes (some friend huh?)

With friends like that, you hardly even need enemies!;)

Stephen I have never seen a 3800 with 170psi. I am not saying one cannot, but if you could pull the muffler and look at the rings and see if they are real thin or thick like a regular ring. I am curious to see if you have something else.

Also that muffler style I have seen on other saws also.

Last edited:
Very nice looking saw Stephen! :msp_thumbup: The 3800 is a 61cc saw, same as the 3700. The 3800 should have a chrome piston, just like the 3400 does. I like them green & black saws. I don't own one, but they should have the same power as the 3700.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Stephen, Power wise, and this is just my personal experience with running the the mid size Poulan's, There isn't a whole lot of difference between the 61cc models, like the 3700/3800 and the 64cc 4000. You WILL notice a power difference between the 56cc 3400 and either of the slightly larger ones. I prefer the 4000, but thats just me.;) If you were to blindfold me and make me run a 3700 & 4000..I probably could not tell 100% for sure, which was which. They are that close.
Come to think of it though. I don't know if I ever ran one of each, back to back in the same wood to try and tell LOL

Gregg,

I will get out to the barn and do that on Saturday. It has a lot more pop than my 3.7 Craftsman. I kind of forgot I had this saw, I bought it from a very nice woman who was the origional owner. By the looks of the bar and chain and the lack of paint missing from the front of the saw I don't think it is even broke in yet. I am getting to the point that I think I am going to have to stop looking at saws and just lay with the ones I have. I do think I could use some dawgs on this one to protect the paint. It is probably the nicest old saw I have.

It is without a doubt a beauty.

Well here is one of those ole magnesium clutch covers that break so easy. It took awhile to get to it because I had to find some of that special Poulan welding rod. You know the magnesium in Poulans is 10% lighter than other saws it takes a special rod in order to weld it so I just call it the Poulan rod. The dark spots around the weld is just alittle JB weld to smooth it out some, like body work. I have not found any welding rod that works on the poulan plastic yet, but I keep looking.

This one was broken so bad that the edges would not longer line up. I had to put a c-clamp on it and force it back together.

View attachment 283484View attachment 283485

You certainly do nice work!
I had no doubt that you WOULDN'T get it done.
Just that it wasn't gonna be real easy.

How long did it take you to get it to that shape?

Mike

There is no such thing as a grey Craftsman 3000.

Just WOW Mark really :laugh::dizzy:. You know what I am referring to on GREY craftsman 3000 cc wise :dizzy:. Bare bore chrome piston same cc as 3000 but 3000 is chrome bore bare piston. :laugh:

Why you want me to type that whole fing craftsman number. Well let me tell you that isnt going to happen. Grey craftsman 3000 it will be, so get over yourself. :laugh:

Dare me :laugh: maybe I'll throw a chrome bore on it. :laugh:

Last edited:

Clean decoys with no shot in em, belong to guys who don't hunt much:laugh: If he sits the hole with you, and brings the coffee, you can forgive alot........ a month out of season and I miss it already!

Just WOW Mark really :laugh::dizzy:. You know what I am referring to on GREY craftsman 3000 cc wise :dizzy:. Bare bore chrome piston same cc as 3000 but 3000 is chrome bore bare piston. :laugh:

Why you want me to type that whole fing craftsman number. Well let me tell you that isnt going to happen. Grey craftsman 3000 it will be, so get over yourself. :laugh:

Dare me :laugh: maybe I'll throw a chrome bore on it. :laugh:

What do you mean get over myself? Seems like your the one who didnt like to be corrected here this morning.

Don't mattter if I know what your refering to or not, there are others here who may not understand and will end up confused and mistaken.

No big deal, but like I said there was no Craftsman equivalent to a 3000, end of story.

Call it a Craftsman 3.0 if you want to.

I like being corrected. Just some are in to nit picking it seems. :hmm3grin2orange:

Remeber in Nov 2011 you were asking me to confirm if grey 3000 had bare bore or not. ;)

Well if you think its nit picking, so be it, I explained why I posted that. Don't go trying to insult and make it personal.

What I asked back then was just asking for a confirmation of what I already knew. If I was all over myself you think I would have even asked that? No, around here quite a few of us seek the whole true story and while we dont always find it at least we try,.

Poulan 5020 with .325 and rim set up. ;)

3citestsaws008_zpsaa490b47.jpg

pp502av006_zpscd4f76b1.jpg

3citestsaws005_zpsd90b94b6.jpg

It might have already been said by another member, then again maybe not. Watch buying those replacement meteor 475 pistons on feebay. Just a heads up. The BB372 are straight drop ins. ;) Just the ones I choose personally for my uses and saws.

Not sure of order, but thinking oem 475, meteor replacement, 475 oem, BB372 pistons

3citestsaws004_zpsa2ee850a.jpg

3citestsaws007_zps74b3e221.jpg

3citestsaws009_zps99c8391c.jpg

3citestsaws010_zps147272c5.jpg

Come on now chaps, play nicely!

Hi Folks,

Great thread, learning lots. Can I swap in a pro 220 motor into my 2550t Poulan? I need a new cylinder and piston due to a snap ring coming off after a rebuild.

2nd question: I was taking apart a 3314 to replace the P&C when I inadvertently undid the chain brake, which then blew apart sending bits in several directions. Any info available on how this item goes back together? I know these are inferior big box store saws but still useful tools. Looking forward to all and any help offered. One day I'll get a real Poulan as I seem to have picked up CAD.

Many thanks,

Lee

PS RIP Stompin' Tom

I guess I should have put some chainsaw #### (photos) in this request for help. :hmm3grin2orange: I may have to move this the the "Wild Thang" thread to get some much needed feed back. I know there is a bunch of you great folks that can help this poor neophite get his crappy saws back together.

Spring is coming so smile and treat each other with respect. This is such a great thread for learning.

Many thanks,

Lee:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back