Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would be too! :msp_love: Looks just like the one Steve brought to the GTG last fall, if its not the same one.

PoulanGTG2012009.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I think I've got the 4200 running pretty well. I had to do three takes to get a video because my camera is not working well so I finally used my wife's. The first cut went pretty well, it's running a bit rich. I had to lean on it a bit to get it 2 stroking. I cut so much off the round trying to get the first two videos that there wasn't much left so the clutch cover was hitting the bucking stand on cuts 2 and 3. Since I have nohing to compare this saw to, let me know if you think it's cutting as it should.
As per expectations, the diiference between the 3700 and the 4200 are more like 15cc apart than 9.
I think this will cut right with or faster than my Homelite VI922 which is 77cc.

Tim, I can't get the video to load. :cry: My internet is s-l-o-w tonight. I will try again in the morning. But I agree, that they cut like a much larger saw.

Gregg,

You ain't right, but I like it......the saw that is......that starter cover will make it easy to check the timing on that saw.

Making decals with lime green lettering and numbers. When better covers turn up I'll just paint them. Right now the better covers are for the better 505 475 415. Then I still have another 505 and 425 to finish. Just wonder what I shall do with them color wise. :msp_biggrin:

I think I've got the 4200 running pretty well. I had to do three takes to get a video because my camera is not working well so I finally used my wife's. The first cut went pretty well, it's running a bit rich. I had to lean on it a bit to get it 2 stroking. I cut so much off the round trying to get the first two videos that there wasn't much left so the clutch cover was hitting the bucking stand on cuts 2 and 3. Since I have nohing to compare this saw to, let me know if you think it's cutting as it should.
As per expectations, the diiference between the 3700 and the 4200 are more like 15cc apart than 9.
I think this will cut right with or faster than my Homelite VI922 which is 77cc.

Tim,
Watched the video this morning!! Looks and sounds like you have a good one there to me. :msp_thumbup: I think that tree right behind the saw was trembling a little, for fear its next.
:laugh:

Gregg,

yes many of them are...even when they say something else on the marketing decal on the recoil...

I need to put the 34/14 decal on my 8500 recoil when I have the 15inch Pro Champ bar on it and let my friends use it and see if they think it runs better than thier little huskies...yes I know it is heavy for a 34cc saw but it is 30 years old,,,,but it runs good don't it?

287633d1364694674-eq1-jpg

What's with all the Earthquake saws?
Bob

Well it didnt take you long to lay another egg it seems. :hmm3grin2orange:

Not all seal inner dia have to match the crank dia at the brg. There are some that can have a step on the crank (can't remember exactly which one I seen that on) while others can have the seal inner rideing on a sleeve over the crank, a Poulan 361 comes to mind on that example.

Sometimes a fellow gets on a hot streak...:msp_wink:

Advice needed.

Just finished cutting up a 30" White Oak yesterday...and was wishing I had a longer bar on my saw (4900-77cc). The saw runs plenty strong and doesn't slow down or bog unless I really lean on it. (full chisel, full comp chain, 24" bar).

I am wondering if I can get away with a 32" bar in hard wood?

Would skip chain be a better way to go with a longer bar? I've never used any...so I don't know how it performs.

It would be pretty rare that I would have to use a 32" bar, most of the trees here are considerably smaller, but occasionally a large Water Oak, White Oak or Shag Bark Hickory will blow down and I like to use them for firewood. Just want to cut them in one pass.

Of course...they are a LOT easier to cut BEFORE they have dried out and seasoned.

I'm thinking a 32" bar with full chisel/full comp is going to be more than my saw really wants, what say you?

Last edited:
Just finished cutting up a 30" White Oak yesterday...and was wishing I had a longer bar on my saw (4900-77cc). The saw runs plenty strong and doesn't slow down or bog unless I really lean on it. (full chisel, full comp chain, 24" bar).

Would skip chain be a better way to go with a longer bar? I've never used any...so I don't know how it performs.

It would be pretty rare that I would have to use a 32" bar, most of the trees here are considerably smaller, but occasionally a large Water Oak, White Oak or Shag Bark Hickory will blow down and I like to use them for firewood. Just want to cut them in one pass.

Of course...they are a LOT easier to cut BEFORE they have dried out and seasoned.

I'm thinking a 32" bar with full chisel/full comp is going to be more than my saw really wants, what say you?

I think you will be ok with 32" and skip, I know my 5200 runs that all the time with relative ease and really the 4900 seems about as strong as the 5200. I think I have ran a 28" on my 4900 before and would remember if it had any problems.

I know my 4900 just toys with a 24" on it.

I know for sure that you would not notice a difference between your 24 and a 28 inch bar so I think a 32 would work just fine. Both my 4900 and 8500 cut just as fast with 24" as they do with 28"s.

I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to tell any difference in a 30" with skip and a 32" with full comp!
I wouldn't be a-skeered to put the 32" and full comp on it, if it were mine. I wouldn't want to use that combo for all day every day use but for an occasional 20-25 cuts I don't think it would hurt at all.

Mike

I know for sure that you would not notice a difference between your 24 and a 28 inch bar so I think a 32 would work just fine. Both my 4900 and 8500 cut just as fast with 24" as they do with 28"s.

That's good to hear, as that 4900 will be wearing a 28" B/C shortly after it arrives here Jim.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back