Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,used the Testors spray can Sublime green paint on my recent acquisition. Didn't turn out too bad though it is more green than I expected. Also not sure how well it will hold up,though it is enamel paint. Sorry I didn't imbed the photo as I haven't figured it out yet. Haven't run saw as yet.

bob

I painted a couple of saws with hardened enamel and I don't think they'll hold up well, one started chipping already. I do think it's a good idea to put a coat of primer on it before you paint it. I don't think some of the factories did though...

Well,used the Testors spray can Sublime green paint on my recent acquisition. Didn't turn out too bad though it is more green than I expected. Also not sure how well it will hold up,though it is enamel paint. Sorry I didn't imbed the photo as I haven't figured it out yet. Haven't run saw as yet.

bob

Is that the one with the broken handle? If it is you sure did a nice job on finishing it.

I am really liking these 3700's while I am here in Wyoming I had a chance to cut up some cotton wood and the 3700 with a 20 inch bar performed really well since the wood was 33 inches in across.

Hey guys, just for my first poulan 655, got it with a truck load of old huskys and other old saws the other day, well there were two 655s but I made one running saw out of 2, it cranks on the second pull but it has a smoking issue that worries me, iv heard of a window between the gas and oil tank, but I haven't pulled it apart to see. Also do these saws run at a high lopeing idle or is it just my carb hasn't been adjusted?

Any pictures of that 655?

Is that the one with the broken handle? If it is you sure did a nice job on finishing it.

I am really liking these 3700's while I am here in Wyoming I had a chance to cut up some cotton wood and the 3700 with a 20 inch bar performed really well since the wood was 33 inches in across.

Yes, I really should give you credit for welding it for me. Came out great. I'll give the paint a month to harden which might help its longevity. I did open the muffler up and gave it the ModifiedMark side exhaust treatment. Saw likely won't see much use and I may sell it at some point as this is my third 3700.

bob

Yeah she looks good. Might like you say be a bit on the green side, but I have seen worse.

Got a reduction drive Poulan should be coming this week or next. Dont know much about it yet, kinda a pig in a poke but I have been looking for a K-100 for a while.

Speaking of gear drives I picked up one here in Wyoming. It is not a Poulan but is a Mcculloch 1-60 as far as I can tell. Will find out more when I get home.

Yeah she looks good. Might like you say be a bit on the green side, but I have seen worse.

Well, the Testors 3 oz. spray can probably won't do an entire saw. At least I had to use almost two cans. Luckily the first can came w/o the spray button so they sent me one can free. $6.95 for the can, and shipping I believe cost as much as the can. However thought I'd try the color to see how close it is. You are right I've seen worse.
Bob

Well, the Testors 3 oz. spray can probably won't do an entire saw. At least I had to use almost two cans. Luckily the first can came w/o the spray button so they sent me one can free. $6.95 for the can, and shipping I believe cost as much as the can. However thought I'd try the color to see how close it is. You are right I've seen worse.
Bob

i think it looks great as well, let me say this before i ask my question ( i know nothing about what should be painted or not painted on a saw) but is the oil cap supposed to be painted? or is that just a paint prop? also what about other items etc? taking notes.

Bob

i think it looks great as well, let me say this before i ask my question ( i know nothing about what should be painted or not painted on a saw) but is the oil cap supposed to be painted? or is that just a paint prop? also what about other items etc? taking notes.

Poulans have the oil cap painted on the 3400-4000 series. In fact, everything but the plastic covers, front handle and and fuel tank/cap usually has some paint on it.

bar# 530044335 18" .325 CG what chain? DL do i need?

Well you guys helped me get the chain for the other 18" LP bar i had (DL62) last week #530044335 18" .325 (what DL do i need?) chain?

050 X .325 X 72DL

ok i found my answer,

so what is the difference between the 050 X .325 and the 050 X .375 LP? i quess the .325 would cut faster? last longer?

thanks

Last edited:
Well, the Testors 3 oz. spray can probably won't do an entire saw. At least I had to use almost two cans. Luckily the first etc.can came w/o the spray button so they sent me one can free. $6.95 for the can, and shipping I believe cost as much as the can. However thought I'd try the color to see actory painted with a lot of overshow close it is. You are right I've seen worse.
Bob

Nope. Overspray that is on the oil and fuel caps. Will clean them up with a little paint thinner or acetone. Surprisingly many Poulans were painted from the factory with overspray on the flywheel fuel tank, etc. not lots of overspray but you can see it. Good eyes.
Bob

I think I have 3 or 4 3400's and none of them have paint on the oil cap. I suppose it is possible that it has just worn off with use or replaced over time, I got all of them very used....some have no paint on the handle and I am sure it was painted from the factory...

Agree. Oil and fuel caps are black. I need to clean them up. Yup. All handles were painted. If it isn't it was replaced. For the plastic carb/cylinder cover I use a plastic adhesion promoter before I paint it. Seems to help keep the paint on.

Well you guys helped me get the chain for the other 18" LP bar i had (DL62) last week #530044335 18" .325 (what DL do i need?) chain?

050 X .325 X 72DL

ok i found my answer,

so what is the difference between the 050 X .325 and the 050 X .375 LP? i quess the .325 would cut faster? last longer?

thanks

I don't know of either one outlasting the other, there's lots of variables to be considered. I always thought the 3/8 chain cuts faster if the saw has the power but on a smaller engined saw the .325 would be better because it wouldn't require as much power to go through the wood, assuming everything else is equal, chain sharpness, etc. I have all different sizes of saws and some in the middle size range use either one and I can't tell much difference. I've never seen a .325 on a big saw though.

I don't know of either one outlasting the other, there's lots of variables to be considered. I always thought the 3/8 chain cuts faster if the saw has the power but on a smaller engined saw the .325 would be better because it wouldn't require as much power to go through the wood, assuming everything else is equal, chain sharpness, etc. I have all different sizes of saws and some in the middle size range use either one and I can't tell much difference. I've never seen a .325 on a big saw though.

i have a 4018 and a 2450 that i am using these bars on. both are 18". i think they are both 42cc saws.

one is .325 the other is .375. so i guess it does not really matter which goes on which.

I don't know of either one outlasting the other, there's lots of variables to be considered. I always thought the 3/8 chain cuts faster if the saw has the powereth aren't but on a smaller engined saw the .325 would be better because it wouldn't require as much power to go through the wood, assuming everything else is equal, chain sharpness, etc. I have all different sizes of saws and some in the middle size range use either one and I can't tell much difference. I've never seen a .325 on a big saw aren'tthough.

Lo profile is just what it says. The cutting teeth aren't as high as regular 3/8. Also you use a 5/32 file unlike a7/32 for regular 3/8. Don't knownforbsure but it may also have a narrower kerf than regular 3/8.

Lo profile is just what it says. The cutting teeth aren't as high as regular 3/8. Also you use a 5/32 file unlike a7/32 for regular 3/8. Don't knownforbsure but it may also have a narrower kerf than regular 3/8.

And there's a new kid in town called Stihl 63 PS3 that is some cutting sh....tuff!!!
By far the fastest and smoothest 3/8ths LP I've ever used.
Sure wish Oregon would come out with an equivalent!!!!!

Mike

Back