Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of either one outlasting the other, there's lots of variables to be considered. I always thought the 3/8 chain cuts faster if the saw has the power but on a smaller engined saw the .325 would be better because it wouldn't require as much power to go through the wood, assuming everything else is equal, chain sharpness, etc. I have all different sizes of saws and some in the middle size range use either one and I can't tell much difference. I've never seen a .325 on a big saw though.

i have a 4018 and a 2450 that i am using these bars on. both are 18". i think they are both 42cc saws.

one is .325 the other is .375. so i guess it does not really matter which goes on which.

Not really, in my opinion...

Lo profile is just what it says. The cutting teeth aren't as high as regular 3/8. Also you use a 5/32 file unlike a7/32 for regular 3/8. Don't knownforbsure but it may also have a narrower kerf than regular 3/8.

Since he was talking 3/8 vs. .325 I assumed he wasn't talking about the regular 3/8 but the smaller and narrower low profile chain. Since many smaller saws come out with both I didn't feel there's a big difference. Certainly for me, not big enough to warrant changing over from one to the other.

Since he was talking 3/8 vs. .325 I assumed he wasn't talking about the regular 3/8 but the smaller and narrower low profile chain. Since many smaller saws come out with both I didn't feel there's a big difference. Certainly for me, not big enough to warrant changing over from one to the other.

yes one is 3/8 LP 18"
one is .325 18"

my stupid ?? is i do need a .325 sprocket correct? that i am now searching for in my pile of stock.

yes one is 3/8 LP 18"
one is .325 18"

my stupid ?? is i do need a .325 sprocket correct? that i am now searching for in my pile of stock.

Yes, make sure the clutch sprocket and the bar sprocket match the chain. It should be printed on both the bar and the clutch sprocket what chain they take.

Which sprocket?

I don't know of either one outlasting the other, there's lots of variables to be considered. I always thought the 3/8 chain cuts faster if the saw has the power but on a smaller engined saw the .325 would be better because it wouldn't require as much power to go through the wood, assuming everything else is equal, chain sharpness, etc. I have all different sizes of saws and some in the middle size range use either one and I can't tell much difference. I've never seen a .325 on a big saw though.

i have a 4018 and a 2450 that i am using these bars on. both are 18". i think they are both 42cc saws.

one is .325 the other is .375. so i guess it does not really matter which goes on which.

I don't think that Oregon lists a .325 sprocket or bar for the smaller box store Poulans, the 42cc brigade. I maybe wrong. :popcorn::popcorn:

Lee

I don't think that Oregon lists a .325 sprocket or bar for the smaller box store Poulans, the 42cc brigade. I maybe wrong. :popcorn::popcorn:

Lee

You can set it up for a rim drive, but what part # IDK. Arrowhead had one on his Wilder thing.
Oregon and others have been dropping the number of sprockets they are carrying, so I guess the answer is maybe.

A future project. Needs at least the clutch side main bearing. Compression is good and the piston/cylinder look good to match. Somehow, this saw has retained all 3 of the plastic buttons.

And a Homelite guy must have owned it in a previous life. You can't see it in the picture, but the recoil grip is a classic Homelite handle.

Chris B.

poulan71_2_zpsf5b6bf49.jpg

poulan71_1_zpsde2138b6.jpg

A future project. Needs at least the clutch side main bearing. Compression is good and the piston/cylinder look good to match. Somehow, this saw has retained all 3 of the plastic buttons.

And a Homelite guy must have owned it in a previous life. You can't see it in the picture, but the recoil grip is a classic Homelite handle.

Chris B.

poulan71_2_zpsf5b6bf49.jpg

poulan71_1_zpsde2138b6.jpg

Not to mention the Homelite gas cap.

Latest posts

Back