Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the P65 I was telling you about needing a plastic gas-line fitting for on the carb.

In reviewing the two links below they sure appear to be of the same lineage!?? The Poulan 655 is a re-badge of the Pioneer P65??

Model Profile: P65

Model Profile: 655

IMG_2732_zps3c73ffa4.jpg

IMG_2731_zps8060cbc4.jpg

IMG_2733_zpsa7b71d9d.jpg

edfa86de-6e8c-4fb8-8ac2-e92a07a3965d_zps044d1732.jpg

IMG_2736_zps856b2869.jpg

If you can't find a new barb consider buying a brass plumbing barb and either turn it down in a lathe or chuck it in a drill press or electric drill and file one end down to make a press fit in the carb.

Great idea Tim. Don't believe that part is replaceable otherwise.malso I believe the Pp655 and P 65 are the same saw. What I don't know is where the 655BP fits in the Pioneer/partner family.

Here is the P65 I was telling you about needing a plastic gas-line fitting for on the carb.

In reviewing the two links below they sure appear to be of the same lineage!?? The Poulan 655 is a re-badge of the Pioneer P65??

Yes, but IIRC the PP655 is the only one that ever came with a Boost Port.

I couldnt get the one out of a carb that had that went bad. But came up with a fix. Redneck fix. :msp_biggrin:

Plastic part cracked created air leak on a 034 carb. If you pull the plastic part off of the spline metal part underneath you can still attach a fuel line a little longer to it. If you have the splined shoulder neck area you can grind it down to allow more area for the line to go up on if needed.

Also shows my way of bypassing using stihl fuel lines.

Last edited:
Lets see a picture of the other side. Pictures of saws never get old.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Too dark now. It was a too expensive eBay purchase but I'm glad I bought it. It was sort of a "what the hell" kind of deal after a difficult period. Turns out it is pretty nice. Glad I bought it.

Yes that cracked fuel fitting can be replaced. Its just a press fit into the carb housing.

Here is one on a Husky that had that same plastic fitting that was cracked. The elbow I used was from a Pioneer carb from the parts pile.

attachment.php

It would be good to know if the 65 has a boost port.
Yes, but IIRC the PP655 is the only one that ever came with a Boost Port.

If a P-65 didn't have a boost port, it would be a P-62. At least that's what I remember Ed pointing out to me.

Yes that cracked fuel fitting can be replaced. Its just a press fit into the carb housing.

Here is one on a Husky that had that same plastic fitting that was cracked. The elbow I used was from a Pioneer carb from the parts pile.

attachment.php

If a P-65 didn't have a boost port, it would be a P-62. At least that's what I remember Ed pointing out to me.

Thanks, Mark, for the info on the fuel fitting........if need be I'll source a correct hose size right angle fitting and turn it down to be a press fit into the carb.

When I got this P-65 I recall doing some boost port research and had found pictures that showed what the casting differences were. This saw did not have the boost port castings and it seemed a bit random as to which saws(P-65's and PP655's) did have the boost port configuration. IIRC it seemed that it was a early vs. late production run issue..........with the later produced saws having the 'hallowed' boost port configuration. I hope that some of the hard-core Poulan/Pioneer/Partner folks can post up their intel and clear this up.

attachment.php

I believe the P62 was changed to the P65 when they went to the larger pto side main bearing and the smaller wristpin to deal with the problem of broken cranks. I don't think any P65s came with the boost port top end but I'm not sure, I have two P65s but both have boost port top ends that I added. Yes the boost port saws have more power but not a huge amount, both are great saws.

I need to stop looking. The CL add says they all run. I drove a couple hundred miles and picked these up. The guy was 70 and bought the super XL new. He said, do you want to start them. I say, no....if you say they run it is fine with me. I get them home and every one of them starts on the first or second pull even the little eager beavers. They were not free but at $130 for 7 running gas saws and one electric I couldn't bring myself to try to haggle. The big Poulan and Homelite super both have new bars and chains......:D and 2 eager beaver parts saws...
attachment.php

Very nice haul. I see you even got a few cases thrown into the mix also.

I do not see how you could go wrong.

thanks, I always thought the big Poulan was a nice saw, probably the one in the group that I could actually use for a day. I was just blown away by the other saws. The super XL that the guy bought new popped on the first pull and started on the second. The other Homelite has had zero use from the looks of the handle. I want to get that 295 and the superXL into a ash tree I have to drop. I had a hoot with my little Earthquake and Dolmar 7900 on the other half of that tree.:msp_sleep:

The Poulan 295 is a great saw at 46cc and are real easy to work on. I have a couple of them that I hot rodded alittle and like them alot.

My Earthquake has a radical Muffler mod. (it works great) That is about the limit of my ability. If you have any advice on the 295 I am all ears. He sold it because it just didn't have the power of his old Stihls

The muffler in my estimate is a bit restrictive and the saw can benefit from making it better.
The problem is they are not an easy muffler to do, but I am sure you will figure it out you have been around here for awhile now.

P65/655

The P65 had just came out before the buy-out. Once the buy out happened, they rebadged it the 655. The P65 and 655 are 100% the same saw. I don't think the P65 ever had a BP. The one I have does not, and a couple other members P65's do not. From what I understand, there was only a "handfull" of P65's ever made. Early BP saws had the BP cut in the jug, but used the same piston as a non BP. Later in production, they discovered that notching the skirt on the piston helped even more.

So the power the BP makes over a non BP 655 can vary. If you saw is an early BP, it may have a full skirted piston and won't perform as well as the notch skirted piston. The carb is also factor in how well it works. The benefits of the BP are more noticeable with the Walbro SDC than with the WJ. Both carbs were used on the BPs and other Pioneers.

I do have a P52 and a P62 that have the same BP as a 655BP. I'm not 100% sure if these saws came from the factory like this, or if they were a replacement top end made later for the Pioneers.

I believe the P62 was changed to the P65 when they went to the larger pto side main bearing and the smaller wristpin to deal with the problem of broken cranks. I don't think any P65s came with the boost port top end but I'm not sure, I have two P65s but both have boost port top ends that I added. Yes the boost port saws have more power but not a huge amount, both are great saws.

Yep, that's the difference in the P62 to the P65/655. Most P62's have the thin rings also, and in my opinion have a little more power than the 655's.

Latest posts

Back