Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is off topic and should be a new thread let me know.

I am working on gaining more saws but was wondering where do you find the older poulan saws besides craigslist and ebay?

I usually find them when i`m not looking for them. I check with the local chainsaw stores asking them for the old poulans. I picked up four like that in the last two months. I was walking through the junk yard a few years ago and there was one laying there. No chain cover or bar but was in good shape. They seem to pop up when your not expecting.

I will have to keep looking. I have been playing around with the newer poulans 4218. They run okay with mods probably better. But, the old ones seem built very solid. I would love to get my hands on a poulan 3750!!

Any other places?

Might be getting off track again but for the newer poulans do you guys run them with more oil than the 40:1 ratio to help protect the piston and cylinder? Do you do this for the older poulans?

Thanks Guido Savage. I am not sure about that chainsaw just yet. Is there any sponsors on the forum that sell old chainsaws and nos saws. The chainsawr.com has a lot of parts but not alot of whole chainsaws.

Thanks Guido Savage. I am not sure about that chainsaw just yet. Is there any sponsors on the forum that sell old chainsaws and nos saws. The chainsawr.com has a lot of parts but not alot of whole chainsaws.

Guido Salvage probably has 10% of all the old Poulans built. He is a great guy and good first aider as well.

I have bunches of saws as do others on the forum that we will often trade/sell. This is a 330 that I would consider selling. If you want a NOS 3400 let me know.

image.jpg

Little something about the 655 I just picked up last weekend. From some things I had read, as far as production with the Boost Port saws goes, they started with the BP cyl and the standard pistons...then switched over to the windowed pistons later in prod after realizing they could get more power. Can anybody confirm that? I contacted Poulan and with the numbers on my saw, they were able to confirm a prod year of 1993. It's got gray handles and AF cover on it. ( I heard the black handled ones were the majority of the BP saws? I pulled the muffler off, and to my surprise, there was a BP in the back of the cyl...but no window in the piston. Still more than I bargained for when I bought it. My question is...does anyone know when in the prod run, they changed this? Did it go from the std 655 to the 655BP or were they both produced at the same time, just diff options? The 655 debuted in '88 but not sure how long they were manufac. or where in the line my '93 falls. What are the chances that it was an "early" factory BP saw with the std piston? Doesn't appear to have been messed with much. Doubt it had a lot of hard every day use from the looks of it. Was the "big saw" for a fire dept.
NCM_0279.JPG NCM_0281.JPG NCM_0004.JPG NCM_0002.JPG NCM_0003.JPG

Man!! WOW!!! You probably are not going to tell us but how did you get these saws? Were you a poulan dealer at one point?

Never a dealer, but I bought about a dozen saws from a closed down one last week in your state. This 4400 is one from that haul that I cleaned up today.

This is what I started with. Sorry about the pictures, some are from my phone and some from my iPad Mini.

Poulan4400PA1_zps2c09382a.jpg

This is what it looked like when I pulled the clutch cover.

f660f47638e83d6295b96801e1e05c7c_zpsb3c12251.jpg

This is what I pulled/dug out.

c7b7b98598e26e7109693d9384315af3_zps72445015.jpg

Put a couple of hours of elbow grease into it and got this.

afe3f0222a0514bb431e79890715d6ff_zps4a27caae.jpg

c2f2326f6456d03b0b413c68de3e8afa_zps5afa3d6a.jpg

2473c545b9d5f70338a4c61d1c618429_zps255177d0.jpg

Little something about the 655 I just picked up last weekend. From some things I had read, as far as production with the Boost Port saws goes, they started with the BP cyl and the standard pistons...then switched over to the windowed pistons later in prod after realizing they could get more power. Can anybody confirm that? I contacted Poulan and with the numbers on my saw, they were able to confirm a prod year of 1993. It's got gray handles and AF cover on it. ( I heard the black handled ones were the majority of the BP saws? I pulled the muffler off, and to my surprise, there was a BP in the back of the cyl...but no window in the piston. Still more than I bargained for when I bought it. My question is...does anyone know when in the prod run, they changed this? Did it go from the std 655 to the 655BP or were they both produced at the same time, just diff options? The 655 debuted in '88 but not sure how long they were manufac. or where in the line my '93 falls. What are the chances that it was an "early" factory BP saw with the std piston? Doesn't appear to have been messed with much. Doubt it had a lot of hard every day use from the looks of it. Was the "big saw" for a fire dept.
View attachment 339718 View attachment 339719 View attachment 339720 View attachment 339721 View attachment 339722

You will never find a "windowed" piston in a 655 standard or BP model, never made them that way. What they did offer is a piston with a channel cut into it where the boost port is, in other words, to be able to see the channel I am talking about you would have to pull the cylinder.

Man, Sometimes I hate being busy. What poulan shop closed? Also, Salvage do you have any of the poulan pro 180's or equivalent that are for sale? Any NOS chainsaws of that model? Didn't know if you carried the smaller stuff?

I was going to pm you but I think your settings are off for that.

That is only my second one. Next up will be the full wrap 5200 and then the 4900.
A 4400 was my first medium/large saw, and until I've been on this forum, haven't really seen any. They will always have a special place in my heart (and in my collection). :)

Latest posts

Back