Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read through the points type testing, great write up but the typical capacitance values are too low, it should read about 0.2 microF on small engines.

For cleaning & polishing, just use an oiled strip of 400 grit "wet or dry" sandpaper glued to a wooden popsicle stick, followed by a shot of contact or brake cleaner. Works good for industrial motor starters contacts too, if they're not silver plated.

I'm old school at p&c. No spark after cleaning and setting points, I'll test they condenser by charging it up with my truck running and it connected in place of a plug. Then I inspect the spark when I ground it out.

Sent from my Prism II from T-Mobile's slow edge network :-(

Hi everyone. Thanks for your info and advice.

@jerrycmorrow, thanks for the link, I could do with getting a volt metre then, would make locating the fault much easier.

In the meantime, I have removed my points. This will probably sound dumb to you lot, but I have to check first as I haven't done it before. Which part am I cleaning with the 400 grit wet and dry/nail file? If you could point it out in this pic it would be appreciated, I don't want to go doing any harm when for all I know they may be fine.

image.jpg

Also, when refitting, how to I know they are set right?

One last thing (for now), I've noticed the wire that goes from points, to coil, to on/off switch, the wire in the connector to the switch isn't connected that great, the inner wire looks a little frayed and the connector is a bit loose. Could this be an issue or should it be ok so long as it is still connected and not making contact with anything else?

Thanks.

Seriously?

Remove the screw, carefully lift the spring up & over the screw block, or towards the back in your picture.
Then the two contact surfaces will be exposed. It's a lot easier to clean them disassembled like that.
Fleabay still has a coil assembly for sale, and also a lot of the point sets.

When you go to reset them, lightly snug the two screws up, turn the crank until the contacts are fully open, and
use a feeler gauge or a guitar string to set them at 0.016". Use a screwdriver blade in that little slot on the bottom
edge to vary the gap. I like those saws a bit advanced.

Tighten the screws down hard, then double check that the point gap didn't change. May take you
a couple of tries.

By the way, what was the gap at the coil and the flywheel, too large a hap and you have no spark. I never saw it in your post.

Sent from my Prism II from T-Mobile's slow edge network :-(

If you're talking to "put-it-in-h!", he stated that he set the armature gap in post #32847.

Hard to tell in the open forums sometimes, unless you quote him... as there may be five conversations going at once.

Seriously?

Remove the screw, carefully lift the spring up & over the screw block, or towards the back in your picture.
Then the two contact surfaces will be exposed. It's a lot easier to clean them disassembled like that.
Fleabay still has a coil assembly for sale, and also a lot of the point sets.

When you go to reset them, lightly snug the two screws up, turn the crank until the contacts are fully open, and
use a feeler gauge or a guitar string to set them at 0.016". Use a screwdriver blade in that little slot on the bottom
edge to vary the gap. I like those saws a bit advanced.

Tighten the screws down hard, then double check that the point gap didn't change. May take you
a couple of tries.

Thanks hotshot, this is a great help, really appreciate it. Yeah, I was being serious, like I said though I haven't done anything to points before so I just thought it'd be best to ask here first.

Thanks again.

Wow, looks like new. Great pick up.
Not new but yes in very very good shape, I dismantled it last night to clean everything and it was not used much, the chain guides look new and not much paint lose at all on any of the parts. It did have more stringy like pulp wood around the crankshaft sprocket area than I have ever seen on a chainsaw before, (it was almost like HEMP) smelled very strong as well. maybe Christmas tree saw?? air filter was like new as well. I am happy for sure.

475 on the BAY, do you guys think this is an ok price? for the 475? http://www.ebay.com/itm/281369839117?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
keep in mind I have a new worked cylinder, piston, rings etc as well as a coil, and other parts to fix build repair a 475.

let me know your thoughts.

Thats the going rate shipped for known good runners needing nothing IMO. Best work on the price and get it. Fix and get to testing. ;)

Just to compare I sold a 505 PHO for $300 plus ship. That needed nothing ready to cut.

Thanks hotshot, this is a great help, really appreciate it. Yeah, I was being serious, like I said though I haven't done anything to points before so I just thought it'd be best to ask here first.

Thanks again.

You know I'm dating myself, because when I first started sawing & mowing, everything had points. I need to realize that the younger generation has only seen the CD packs on small engines.

Gents,

I just filled a small 1.5 square foot order for the 1/64 nylon insert nitrile membrane. One other member is in on this order to date. The seals company is sending me brochures, business cards and information about specific products they have access to and others they manufacturer. It appears that the potential to do ongoing business with this company in smaller volumes is a reality. It is my intent to make and test a diaphragm in a 3400 oil pump with the material. If others want to try it out, let me know and I can part mine - it will be inexpensive. And if that is the case then every oiler on a 3400-4000 and others you ever come in contact with should oil better than originally when you are done with it.
If this material fits the bill (and I don't see why it wouldn't), I can provide you with all the contact info and the link to her company. She would be happy to conduct business in small volumes with any of you directly. This should eliminate the need to do larger bulk orders as before.

I should have the material within a couple of days.

Thanks - Cory

Back