Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, I have them both apart 450 and 401, they are mostly identical. It looks to have been apart before and 15 of the screws broken off. Looks to have had epoxy on the halfs to try and fix the leaking tank.

Oh boy, I have them both apart 450 and 401, they are mostly identical. It looks to have been apart before and 15 of the screws broken off. Looks to have had epoxy on the halfs to try and fix the leaking tank.

Well as you see the "1" saws screws don't want to come out. They were like cemented in place and I think they had a different thread type also. Good luck with it. You might end up replacing the tank, luckily a 361 tank is the same.

I know I got that Dayton 361 from Nik and it had been tampered with and I ended up putting a tank from a Poulan on it. AC orange is a dead match for Dayton orange saws.

ok, thanks for the info, i was going to drill and tap the broken screws and install new ones with Hondabond 4. i will let you know how it goes.

I guess the previous owner found this out the hard way. Thanks for the info Mark.

i am honestly not into the 375 for some reason, sold the one i did have to Ironmikes Brother. They are great saws though,

You guys are getting me more and more excited about the 3400...
Here is one of my Skil branded 3400's making a cookie from last summer.

I really enjoy running these saws. Ergonomic, robust and dependable. If you can pick up an inexpensive one in good shape I think it is a no-brainer. This one cut piles of Douglas Fir and Western Larch last July/August.

At least one 3400 comes along for the ride when I am out.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/Hoggwood/3400 Douglas Fir Cookie 3_zpseccm8hzn.mp4

I may have forgotten already, it has a double and manual oiler right? Looks like you used the manual around the 50 sec mark, probably wrong though lol. Love the way it sounds at idle. My Makita sounds nothing like that, it's softer and less aggressive.

Yes, Good observation! LOL I use the manual oiler alot. Its just a habit of mine. My thumb doesn't know what to do when running a saw without one. :D

It does have a muffler mod. Just the removal of the very restrictive spark screen, and drilled the center baffle holes some. It already has a side outlet, just like the 4000 does.

Gregg,

IMG_20150104_123952_zpsdd05e1be.jpg

IMG_20150104_124006_zps3f0b1866.jpg

IMG_20150104_124018_zpsbb92830d.jpg

IMG_20150104_1241301_zps3d2d96ad.jpg

Picked the saw up this morning. Spent about 2 hours at the seller's place because the saw was a bit hard to start. I looked at the piston and cylinder, all looked good. He had to shoot the carb with carb cleaner to get it running and fiddled around with the jets. It's idling right but seems to starve for fuel at WOT in a cut. The guy took the carb off and blew it with compressed air. The little screen flew out of the carb and we couldn't find it. He found another little screen and placed it in the carb. There was some debris lodged in the carb so he cleaned it out.

Anyway, I think I should get a carb kit and replace the fuel line/filter. He's going to look for the plastic hand guard and drive it over to me.

$75 for a saw that looks like new? If that isn't worthy of a "you suck" I don't know what is. :lol:

Well not sure about looking like new. Muffler has a bit of surface rust. I may try soaking the carb in the seafoam or whatever it's called then do the carb kit if that doesn't work.

Yes, Good observation! LOL I use the manual oiler alot. Its just a habit of mine. My thumb doesn't know what to do when running a saw without one. :D

It does have a muffler mod. Just the removal of the very restrictive spark screen, and drilled the center baffle holes some. It already has a side outlet, just like the 4000 does.

Gregg,
That's one model I don't have, I did clone a thin ring 3.7 like a farm proimage.jpg

Update on my SP 380 build. It's coming along. After a tear down, port cleaning and base gasket delete. Rebuilt the carb after an ultra sonic bath. I also put a bigger (I think) fuel line. I put a 1/4" tygon line on, I drilled the tank hole out to 15/64" fits snug but doesn't kink either. New pulse line on too.
So work stops till the new parts come in: new muffler, some bolts, starter handle, carb kit (to replace one I used) and a new cylinder cover...The cover is bad boy purple, had no choice black is obsolete. I have the original but the a$$ who owned it before melted all the air baffles so bad I'm nervous to run it. I'm just gonna have to paint the purple one. I'm still looking for decals and the HD recoil off either a 380 or 330, It came with a 305 on it. Nice to see the giladroni cyl on thereimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Picked the saw up this morning. Spent about 2 hours at the seller's place because the saw was a bit hard to start. I looked at the piston and cylinder, all looked good. He had to shoot the carb with carb cleaner to get it running and fiddled around with the jets. It's idling right but seems to starve for fuel at WOT in a cut. The guy took the carb off and blew it with compressed air. The little screen flew out of the carb and we couldn't find it. He found another little screen and placed it in the carb. There was some debris lodged in the carb so he cleaned it out.

Anyway, I think I should get a carb kit and replace the fuel line/filter. He's going to look for the plastic hand guard and drive it over to me.

That saw looks fantastic! Nice score. I would definitely tear everything down and give it a once over and clean up BEFORE trying to start it. I know, its tough not to, wanting to hear it running..LOL I would definitely rebuild the carb, new fuel lines, and fuel filter, spark plug, just because..:)

You might want to check before you order a carb kit for it. Some of these, like my 375 use a Zama C3A, instead of the usual Walbro. They look very similar and either will work as well as the other on the saw. But, I think the kits are different.

Another thing, Ya might want to refrain from using carb cleaner, ether etc. trying to get a balky saw running. It pretty much just washes the oil from your cyl. bearings, etc. If they won't start with a fresh fuel/oil mix, there is something else wrong.. Just a thought.

Congrats on the new saw!!!
Gregg,

100_0014.jpg

375016.jpg

Latest posts

Back