Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, thanks guys. If it turns out to be a dud, it's still relatively cheap enough to use as a parts saw. Hopefully I'll have at least one old Poulan running soon.

Nice one Tim. I went out to the garage last week for just a minute to get wrapping paper and made the mistake of loitering in front of my work bench for more than a moment. Ended up with 3400 to put back together and a 335 half apart.

An open question to anyone. I did note there was a fair bit of axial play on the crankshaft on the (low hours) 3400 saw. There was little radial play but, with axial, more so. The saw ran well enough prior to tear down.

Any concern when checking/looking for this in the future? What is acceptable or not?

There will be around .005 - .008 radial play as both crank bearings are caged needle bearings. The axial play is quite variable.
There are two thrust washers between the bearing cages and the crank counter weight on both sides. Some of my saws are loose and some have very little play. The depth of the bearings in the case set the axial play of the crank. There was a special tool to set the bearing depth (#3158) but no mention is made of what that clearance should actually be.
The saws don't seem to care so I wouldn't be concerned. If you ever do decide to replace the bearings check their depth in the case to get a register. The bearings are Torrington BH-108, both sides. If I recall correctly, the bearings are cheaper than the seals.

Hey, do you have the same issues I'm having with CL sellers? You would think, since they're trying to sell something, they would answer calls/emails/texts promptly. When they do answer, they give me an attitude. Almost like I'm disturbing them by contacting them. They put a damn ad trying to sell something and said to contact them!

I have run into the unpleasantness from both sides, buying (no answer, no call back, no reply email and one where I went out to buy a something and it was sold from under me the night before) and selling ("can't come up with the money. 2-3 calls they say " Not interested " or the "do you still have it... " and you never here from or see an email from them again. All and all I think I am still on the positive side with CL though.

Mark

Think I found the culprit on my PP475. Every once in a while its extremely hard to pull recoil as I mentioned. Pulled recoil cover and one of the pawls is really scratched and shows signs of binding. ordered a new one to see if it helps. Possibly was the cause.

I had one the hole in pulley wore and would hang up in a bind.

Poulan 4000 CL Scottsburg, IN - Seller looks like he will ship.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4822952392.html

On a different note. I just figured out that the saw I grew up with, Craftsman 3.0 358.356081, was really a 3400. Now I know why I remember it running so good. Did any of you guys know they did that?

I figured it out when I was looking at the parts list in the old "3.0" manual and started cross referencing the 3400 to see what was different. I found nothing different down to the P/C.

Mark

You guys are getting me more and more excited about the 3400. I may just run that as my primary saw and keep the Makita on the shelf.

The 3400's are nice saws, plus they're easy to do a muffler mod on and they sound even better. I have 2, the twins:)

View attachment 391443

Oh man, those things look mint! Beautiful. Just found a PP 375 for $75. Now I have to figure out whether to get the 3400 for $60 but 2 hour drive or the 375 for $75 and a 30 min drive. I have to hit up the search function to find out about the 375. If I pass on the 3400 I'll piece the one redunshee sent slowly.

I don't have any of the poulan pro saws to advise you one way or another, but that doesn't mean I don't want one:) how many cc's is the pp 375?

I don't have any of the poulan pro saws to advise you one way or another, but that doesn't mean I don't want one:) how many cc's is the pp 375?

You don't have a Poulan Pro? So there's Poulan and Poulan Pro's? Damn, first I heard about that lol.

I think it's 61cc. It's actually a Poulan Farm Pro 375 if that makes a difference.

Is 3 hours of yer time worth $15? 375 is a 61cc saw. Same general design as the 3400. Little bit stronger. All things being equal - get the 375

It would actually be a 4 hour round trip. Hopefully I hear from the guy soon then. Come Sunday I'm getting one of them. Hopefully my CAD will fade away once I get a secondary saw.

Yeah the yellow and black saws are poulan pros. They came after the green saws I believe.

Ohhh, gotcha. Thought they all were PPs

Back