Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did at that. With a Stihl piston the comp on the 2 I did was approaching 200lbs. Thats too much for that flimsy plastic recoil to live with.

The 2 I had did have the boss for a decomp so it was pretty easy to just drill and tap the cyl and use a Husky decomp. The biggest job for me was getting the hole drilled in the right place on the top cover.

I think someone said not all cyls have the boss on them though, not sure if that was 475's or on some 2077's.

I fell out of love with those saws, there way too plastic and delicate. I still have one that Andre done but I wouldn't use it much for work.
My cylinder has no boss. Dry comp was 180 when I stopped. As long as you can get thee piston to tic and then try to start it isn't too bad.

That compression is excessive for that saw, I have a so called pumped up top end for a 475 that I believe does not have a raised boss for decomp valve,

Question: have a PP475 that pulling the recoil will make a man of you. Almost impossible to pull unless you get the piston to TDC. No decomp on saw. Anyone else with a 475 seen the same thing?

Yep common and common not to have a boss on some of the cylinders.

I like the 415 425 445 quad port cylinders way better then the 475 505 cylinders.

475425006.jpg

I have to figure out exactly when Poulan/Craftsman went down hill. I was thinking older is better.

That sucks. I was happy that the acres internet plus this site gave me a good picture on the quality and other details of individual saws. Plus this site gives me first hand experiences of reliability, cutting prowess, etc. Just have to sift through some BS and personal bias lol.

lol. I have to start slow dude! Wife already asked me why I need more than one saw last night. Only thing I could think of was ohiogregg's story (I think that's who it was).

Also, not a Poulan, but there's a Husqvarna 345 that I can get for $60 too. Choices choices.

Ya I get that once in a while. "Why so many saws?" In the 3300 to 3400 question. I like the 3400 for larger rounds due to the weight, larger chain, and just plain sounds mean. I like the 3300 for less weight, balance and mobility. I love to run both plus a couple others !!!

Wonder if the Stihl piston is the culprit. I don't believe I bought an eom piston as I recall getting it from Baileys. Maybe I should have used a gasket on the install.

Is it a 505 or 475? 505 066 piston 475 can use 046 piston. But I went with BB372 piston in 475 as it is drop in no work needed to pin bosses like 046 066.

You running base gasket or did you do the delete base gasket with stihl piston? I run the base gasket with my 066 piston. Helps.
I recall now that I used the 372bb piston base gasket delete. Believe its what you and Mark suggested. I see that meteor makes a two ring piston for the 475 and 2077. Maybe when I get ambitious I'll tear it down and make a gasket. Thanks.
Bob

I recall now that I used the 372bb piston base gasket delete. Believe its what you and Mark suggested. I see that meteor makes a two ring piston for the 475 and 2077. Maybe when I get ambitious I'll tear it down and make a gasket. Thanks.
Bob

I got one of those. Dont IMO.

Mark uses 046 pistons, I use Bb372 in 475. I sold my NOS 475 piston to member elsewhere due to the bb372 working out so well in my 475.

Oh I ran oem gasket with my bb372 too. What was your squish without and bb372 p?

You can still buy oem gaskets too. $3

Ya I get that once in a while. "Why so many saws?" In the 3300 to 3400 question. I like the 3400 for larger rounds due to the weight, larger chain, and just plain sounds mean. I like the 3300 for less weight, balance and mobility. I love to run both plus a couple others !!!

Hey, do you have the same issues I'm having with CL sellers? You would think, since they're trying to sell something, they would answer calls/emails/texts promptly. When they do answer, they give me an attitude. Almost like I'm disturbing them by contacting them. They put a damn ad trying to sell something and said to contact them!

Holidays are a bad time. Hungover and entertaining out of town guests

True. Although, that has been my experience a lot on CL. Only bought a few things on eBay but those sellers seem a bit more inclined to respond. Perhaps it's because they are rated and CL is more anonymous.

So we went to fire the 5200 this morning after the moto seal dried over night. It had spark but won't start. Tried 2 good carbs and it just won't get fuel to the cylinder. There is fuel in the line but there is also a bubble in the line that won't move trying to start it. So what would cause it not too get fuel with a good carb?

Bob

That explains why your only doin 180lbs. The Stihl 064 piston would put it close to 200 with a base gasket. I think you should put a gasket on it.

Back