Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/tls/4837698366.html

Craftsman 3.4/3400 for $150. Seems kind of steep for that saw. I need to find something real cheap so I can take the hand guard for the 375. Or, I should just buy a hand guard.

You referring to the hand guard that bolts onto the top handle? Don't have a 375 but a couple of hand guards for the 3400. I normally don't use them. Are they the same?

You referring to the hand guard that bolts onto the top handle? Don't have a 375 but a couple of hand guards for the 3400. I normally don't use them. Are they the same?
375 uses the top cover fastened version, most 3400s use the handle mount, same with 3700s and all your craftsman counterparts. I believe most if not all the 375s, 3800s, and 4000s use the cover version but all can use the handle version.

Re: Missing hand guard on the 375 - Ambulls' pics are on page 1726. You can see screw holes on top. Amb if you read this here's a link to the parts list.

http://www.poulan.com/ddoc/POUI/POUI1995_USen/POUI1995_USen__530067196.pdf

The hand guard is part number ref # 50 part # 530-025948
--There is also supposed to be a heat shield under the handle from what the parts list says. Opps that's only on the 385 and 395

Here it is. I don't know how the hell to focus this stupid phone camera! I'm thinking the foam should stick out a bit more, right up to the lip of the oiler opening. What do you guys think?

IMG_20150109_223711_zps0a9dda58.jpg

There's no other function of the foam other than keeping dirt out from behind the oil pump cover. If you are at least flush with the opening you're OK.

You know for some reason I thought the oiler plate was there to actually hold in oil lol. Wasn't until the other day that I figured out that's not possible. It's not water tight and there's a couple of tiny gaps around the plate. Seems a bit weird to have such a large area for the pump under the plate. Also, do you know what that mesh type material is for in the actual pump? I replaced it but just not sure what the function is. Maybe it's for air release since the pump would need some way to dispense air I think.

Yep, Chips is correct. It's on the top cover. Guess I don't really need it. You ever have a chain derail and smack you on the hand?

Re: Missing hand guard on the 375 - Ambulls' pics are on page 1726. You can see screw holes on top. Amb if you read this here's a link to the parts list.

http://www.poulan.com/ddoc/POUI/POUI1995_USen/POUI1995_USen__530067196.pdf

The hand guard is part number ref # 50 part # 530-025948
--There is also supposed to be a heat shield under the handle from what the parts list says. Opps that's only on the 385 and 395

Cool, thanks. Is there a place where I can order by part number? I thought I would have to buy all used parts since this thing is so old.

Okay good, I really don't feel like taking the clutch and oil plate off again lol. At this rate I'll never get this thing running. Patience young grasshopper.

I think I need another saw or two so I can keep tinkering while I wait for the other saw's parts.

You know for some reason I thought the oiler plate was there to actually hold in oil lol. Wasn't until the other day that I figured out that's not possible. It's not water tight and there's a couple of tiny gaps around the plate. Seems a bit weird to have such a large area for the pump under the plate. Also, do you know what that mesh type material is for in the actual pump? I replaced it but just not sure what the function is. Maybe it's for air release since the pump would need some way to dispense air I think..

When you get your carb kit and new fuel line installed and have the saw running you may want to check to see if the manual and auto oilers are working. You can check the manual oiler now by making sure there is oil in the tank and pushing the oiler lever down to see if oil comes out the bar oiler hole.

When you get it running, you can easily check the auto oiler by removing the clutch and running the saw without a bar, chain or clutch cover and look for oil coming out of the bar oiler hole.

Never run the saw without a bar and chain in place unless you have the clutch removed.

When you get your carb kit and new fuel line installed and have the saw running you may want to check to see if the manual and auto oilers are working. You can check the manual oiler now by making sure there is oil in the tank and pushing the oiler lever down to see if oil comes out the bar oiler hole.

When you get it running, you can easily check the auto oiler by removing the clutch and running the saw without a bar, chain or clutch cover and look for oil coming out of the bar oiler hole.

Never run the saw without a bar and chain in place unless you have the clutch removed.

Will do. I think the manual works because I can hear air coming out of the oil hole when I pump it. I'll check it tomorrow though to be sure and I'll check the auto oiler later.

Went out with my father in law and brother in law today to do some cutting/milling to make a bench for the kids to use. Here are some pics from the trip. Ran my 3400 and 5200, loved both!

View attachment 393879
View attachment 393880
View attachment 393881
View attachment 393882
View attachment 393884

That looks like a good time there! :clap: I have done some chainsaw milling too, but that bending over and working down on the ground gets old quick with me any more. Hard on the back. LOL I use one of those Logosol milling outfits that you can mount a rail on the log on the ground, or build a table of sorts to mount the rail on, up off the ground. Have done it both ways.

Basswoodcants009.jpg

Basswoodcants004.jpg

Basswoodcants008.jpg

Gregg,

Here it is. I don't know how the hell to focus this stupid phone camera! I'm thinking the foam should stick out a bit more, right up to the lip of the oiler opening. What do you guys think?

IMG_20150109_223711_zps0a9dda58.jpg

Looks good to me. I just cut a piece of soft foam, from an old seat cushion foam type stuff. Cut a slot in it, so it goes around the rod, and put the plate back on.. :D

Gregg,

That looks like a good time there! :clap: I have done some chainsaw milling too, but that bending over and working down on the ground gets old quick with me any more. Hard on the back. LOL I use one of those Logosol milling outfits that you can mount a rail on the log on the ground, or build a table of sorts to mount the rail on, up off the ground. Have done it both ways.

Basswoodcants009.jpg

Basswoodcants004.jpg

Basswoodcants008.jpg

Gregg,

It was a great time Gregg! That looks like a great set up you have! Luckily we didn't have to much milling to do so the bending over was minimal!

Cool, thanks. Is there a place where I can order by part number? I thought I would have to buy all used parts since this thing is so old.[/QUOTE]

Type in the part number that you want like "Poulan 530025948" (leave the dash out) in your internet search. It looks like many places may still have them in stock. I would call if there is a phone number listed too make sure that their site is up to date.

You know for some reason I thought the oiler plate was there to actually hold in oil lol. Wasn't until the other day that I figured out that's not possible. It's not water tight and there's a couple of tiny gaps around the plate. Seems a bit weird to have such a large area for the pump under the plate. Also, do you know what that mesh type material is for in the actual pump? I replaced it but just not sure what the function is. Maybe it's for air release since the pump would need some way to dispense air I think.

Yep, Chips is correct. It's on the top cover. Guess I don't really need it. You ever have a chain derail and smack you on the hand?

Cool, thanks. Is there a place where I can order by part number? I thought I would have to buy all used parts since this thing is so old.
Let me see if I have one.

Went out with my father in law and brother in law today to do some cutting/milling to make a bench for the kids to use

That has been some of my most favorite time with my dad right now. I try to soak it all in the memory bank and enjoy it sharing time in the woods.
He still uses the poulan 3300 he bought new late 80's. I gave a him a trim saw 2000 bought new in 94.
I always take poulans down there when we are cutting. Last time was a 445 3450.

He pointed out some monster poplars dieing on my land that need dropped over Thanksgiving. Like 12 of them. So getting some 32" 24" 20" set ups ready to do battle this spring.

Enjoy time with family, you just never know if we or one of them are here tomorrow.

That has been some of my most favorite time with my dad right now. I try to soak it all in the memory bank and enjoy it sharing time in the woods.
He still uses the poulan 3300 he bought new late 80's. I gave a him a trim saw 2000 bought new in 94.
I always take poulans down there when we are cutting. Last time was a 445 3450.

He pointed out some monster poplars dieing on my land that need dropped over Thanksgiving. Like 12 of them. So getting some 32" 24" 20" set ups ready to do battle this spring.

Enjoy time with family, you just never know if we or one of them are here tomorrow.

Your absolutely right, we take time and family for granted sometimes. It's nice to really spend time together all doing what we love.
That's great you and your dad are having so much fun doing that stuff together.

Latest posts

Back