Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my way out of Moncton to PEI , with a jaunt to Truro for work - before back to Moncton either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Here's yesterday's pickings .. XL 1 and mighty mite 400 - $30

a98e802b5404238f5ad7c2ad4eb5f6e4.jpg
11a92ea0d1cf4e8d44d942d800f4bcc0.jpg

You are doing better than me Bob. I have never seen one. Just guessing it must be very early in production. I always wanted to know when they changed several things on the 3400. "Earlier" versions had a different rear handle anti-vibe bolt setup. The skinny long screw, instead of the hex connector between them.

The cases were strengthened too. More webbing added in the castings of the case and rear handles. Used a different oil cap also. I was surprised to find that the oil caps will not interchange either. The more commonly seen "thick rounded" style, the older had two thin tabs in the center of the cap, more like the 306 & 245.

Gregg,

I tried to get one of the later model oil caps with the rounded lugs on it but could only come up with am old style one.

That's interesting. They must have had a lot of issues with the wrong caps through their dealer network. I didn't look really hard but couldn't find two part numbers for the oil caps. I ordered one and the wrong one came so I didn't take it.

You are doing better than me Bob. I have never seen one. Just guessing it must be very early in production. I always wanted to know when they changed several things on the 3400. "Earlier" versions had a different rear handle anti-vibe bolt setup. The skinny long screw, instead of the hex connector between them.

The cases were strengthened too. More webbing added in the castings of the case and rear handles. Used a different oil cap also. I was surprised to find that the oil caps will not interchange either. The more commonly seen "thick rounded" style, the older had two thin tabs in the center of the cap, more like the 306 & 245.

Gregg,

The 3400 that's my avatar is one of the older ones with the adjustable oiler. At the time I did not know that the adjustable was uncommon or I would have taken pictures for you guys when I had it apart. If you look at my first post here on page 1641 you can see the smaller tabs on the oil cap - looks like a really quick way to gauge if older or newer. Like you said it does have the round tube in the middle of the antivibe. I'll pull the clutch and oil pump cover this week and take some pics.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-1641

The 3400 that's my avatar is one of the older ones with the adjustable oiler. At the time I did not know that the adjustable was uncommon or I would have taken pictures for you guys when I had it apart. If you look at my first post here on page 1641 you can see the smaller tabs on the oil cap - looks like a really quick way to gauge if older or newer. Like you said it does have the round tube in the middle of the antivibe. I'll pull the clutch and oil pump cover this week and take some pics.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-1641
Yeah we would like to see it. The oldest 3400 I had was date stamped '79 and '80 on the plastics, must have been sold as an '80. Mine had the older style caps, round filter cover knob and un-reinforced handle. No adjustable oiler tho.

Since I have the Wright 141A coming in and can't find anything on a 400, not even a picture, I found and downloaded the 361 manual and IPL. I'm assuming that most parts are interchangeable with the 361 and 400. The first thing I'm going to check is the spark then move on from there. Are there any special things that I should know about the saw?

So I went to put a duck bill valve on the gas cap of my 245A and I can't figure out how it goes on. Is there a piece broken off where its supposed to fit on?

20150116_182750.jpg

The duck Bill will be soft and black tar like, you need to use a q tip and clean really good. Insert New DB and star washer back in cap.

Yeah we would like to see it. The oldest 3400 I had was date stamped '79 and '80 on the plastics, must have been sold as an '80. Mine had the older style caps, round filter cover knob and un-reinforced handle. No adjustable oiler tho.

Here ya go Joe.

Identifiers of Early 3400 - probably 1st generation with adjustable oil pump.
-Both plastic covers: filter and cylinder stamped "79"
-Round filter cover knob
-Round spacer in rear antivibe
-Hole in bottom of housing to adjust oil pump.
- Adjustable oil pump - I have the screw in 1/2 way so you can see the end inside the pump.

The pictures should be in the same order as the above listing. I caught the serial # in the knob pic for fun so people can compare.

DSCF3399.JPG DSCF3400.JPG DSCF3408.JPG DSCF3407.JPG DSCF3403.JPG DSCF3406.JPG DSCF3405.JPG

Here ya go Joe.

Identifiers of Early 3400 - probably 1st generation with adjustable oil pump.
-Both plastic covers: filter and cylinder stamped "79"
-Round filter cover knob
-Round spacer in rear antivibe
-Hole in bottom of housing to adjust oil pump.
- Adjustable oil pump - I have the screw in 1/2 way so you can see the end inside the pump.

The pictures should be in the same order as the above listing. I caught the serial # in the knob pic for fun so people can compare.

View attachment 396418 View attachment 396419 View attachment 396420 View attachment 396421 View attachment 396422 View attachment 396423 View attachment 396424

I missed the different oil cap in the listing and pictures. It has the small tabs.

A few comments...
  • There were at least two types of choke knobs on the 3400's, seems like the round ones were paired with the hand guards mounted on the front handlebar
  • There are different shades of green, the lighter ones I think we're earlier
  • If the 4400 and 5400 were made longer, why are so few around?

And speaking of this series of saw...I have one 3400 that I think was at the end of this line of saws. I'm thinking 1988. Of the many 3400's out there, you don't find many in color/decal scheme. The green & black. I think that was the scheme for the 3800 also, if memory serves me.

3400New012_zpsd5843345.jpg

3400New005_zps68a1aa1f.jpg

Gregg,

I found one of those in my garage on Sunday, the padding on the handle appears thicker.

image.jpg

Back