Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok well, it's either a 3400 with 4000 top covers and hand guard or a 4000 with a 3400 starter housing! If I could see the other side of the muffler that would help!

Ok, I see that the 2700 is a little more old school, like a mini version of a PP365. I started using the 295 & Pioneer 500 (thanks again Tim) lol, last fall as my light weight, small wood sawins. I seem to like them both for that purpose.

Gregg,[/QUOTE
The PP 295 is diff from the 2700 in that the 2700 isn't a clamshell design. The 2700 and 2800 are about identical. Same 46cc size and parts interchange.

I'm glad you like it Gregg. I also like my 295. I carry that on my ATV.

Tim, I was never a big fan of smaller saws. Maybe as I get older, my opinions will change. ;) The past 4-5 years I would drop a tree and my sister and her boy friend would work up the tops. I like a S25 for working on brushy trees etc. in a fence row or something, where you can run it with one hand, if need be. Otherwise I like the longer reach of bigger saws. I tried a 16" on a 3400 for a while, but didn't like it. Felt like I was working with a stub.

I like your new avatar pic a LOT!! This is beginning to act a lot like last years winter from hell. Never ending. I think I have about 1 1/2 cord of split wood left. Have some that has been cut, just not split. Oh well. :cold:

Gregg,

Tim, I was never a big fan of smaller saws. Maybe as I get older, my opinions will change. ;) The past 4-5 years I would drop a tree and my sister and her boy friend would work up the tops. I like a S25 for working on brushy trees etc. in a fence row or something, where you can run it with one hand, if need be. Otherwise I like the longer reach of bigger saws. I tried a 16" on a 3400 for a while, but didn't like it. Felt like I was working with a stub.

I like your new avatar pic a LOT!! This is beginning to act a lot like last years winter from hell. Never ending. I think I have about 1 1/2 cord of split wood left. Have some that has been cut, just not split. Oh well. :cold:

Gregg,

Yeah, if I'm looki

Gregg,
im with you Gregg. I come across the clamshell stuff but only have one. I use my 2800 a lot so I've never had the want for the lighter duty stuffimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah, if I'm looki

im with you Gregg. I come across the clamshell stuff but only have one. I use my 2800 a lot so I've never had the want for the lighter duty stuffView attachment 406591View attachment 406592

Joe, The trees in your pictures are a good example of what I started cutting late last fall, with the PP295 & P500.
I have for the most part run out of decent sized Ash trees. So been picking on the smaller ones. These smaller saws "shine" when cutting 6"-12" diameter stuff. Any bigger, then I will reach for the 4000 or PP380. ;) They are nice saws too, in that they have a 20" & 18" bars on them. So I still get some "reach", yet they are light weight saws.

Gregg,

Gregg,

We only have to get through March yet. Hopefully that will be kinder to us. Man it was cold here today. The coldest day so far. I can't believe how far south this cold front is reaching. I must be really tough on those folks.
I hope you have a splitter to get that wood processed. I just burn wood in the fireplace. We have a fire just about every night we're both home which is most nights. I'll go though about 1-3/4 cords this year. I think 5 years ago I would only burn a face cord. I never hear my wife complain about saws though. She's all about "go get it".
What a doll.

Here is the 3400/4000 I was talking about earlier.

View attachment 406637
View attachment 406639

Hmmm, Tuff to make a guess on that one. Looks to be at least a 20" bar on it. Is it me, or does it look like there is a hole, where the rear handle anti-vibe screws should be? I guess if you can can get it cheap enough, I would take a chance on it, no matter what it turns out to be. Parts is parts. Can't have to many of those.

Gregg,

We only have to get through March yet. Hopefully that will be kinder to us. Man it was cold here today. The coldest day so far. I can't believe how far south this cold front is reaching. I must be really tough on those folks.
I hope you have a splitter to get that wood processed. I just burn wood in the fireplace. We have a fire just about every night we're both home which is most nights. I'll go though about 1-3/4 cords this year. I think 5 years ago I would only burn a face cord. I never hear my wife complain about saws though. She's all about "go get it".
What a doll.

Tim, I probably have at least 1 cord if not more of Ash in the yet to be split pile. And maybe a little less Oak stacked back in the woods to be split if needed. I sure hope you are right about getting through March yet... I think in the spring of 1987, March, I was plowing a sod field, getting ready to plant corn..LOL Was in the 70's.

Got a long way to go to see them temps. Right now as I type this, it is -4F wind chill -18. That probably sounds warm to you further north.

Gregg,

Tim, I probably have at least 1 cord if not more of Ash in the yet to be split pile. And maybe a little less Oak stacked back in the woods to be split if needed. I sure hope you are right about getting through March yet... I think in the spring of 1987, March, I was plowing a sod field, getting ready to plant corn..LOL Was in the 70's.

Got a long way to go to see them temps. Right now as I type this, it is -4F wind chill -18. That probably sounds warm to you further north.

Gregg,

Our winter's have been pretty close temp wise. Maybe a little colder here but not worth mentioning. You have definitely got more snow. It's -6 F here now with -20 F windchill.
It will soon be time to break out the long pants.:dizzy:

A couple of hours north of here it's nasty.

I got my pp 305 the same way.
I really like the 3700s. Problem is they don't show up often. My thin ring 3.7 and 3700 are strong runners. Maybe it's just me bu I notice a big difference in performance over the 3400 and even the 3800 which is the same displacement. Higher compression too. Needless to say those saws aren't goin anywhere.
What year is that saw? Can you get a comp number? Just curious to get a baseline psi from a new one

Yes I'll run a comp test on it tomorrow, it got about a half tank of fuel run through it now. I wanted to get all the assy oil burnt out of it before I tested it.

Your right about the performance output of a good 3700, and I know they make more compression then the others do. I don't remember the comp number on my other 3700 but thought it was in the 150-160 range.

A good muffler modded 3700 seems right like a 4000 when running them.

I needed this one like a hole in the head, but I had the thing so why not put it together.

I got too many of these series saws, I'm thinking of putting a couple in the trading post. I have that Craftsman 3.7 that I went way overboard rebuilding. It got new rings, all new bearings, seals, etc. It even got a base gasket delete and a port job. It's a fine runner but has just been sitting here. I'll bet it aint had 2 tanks run thorough it since I did it.

Got a Dayton 3400 that could go also. I'll just keep the one Poulan 3400, thats enough for me.

Our winter's have been pretty close temp wise. Maybe a little colder here but not worth mentioning. You have definitely got more snow. It's -6 F here now with -20 F windchill.
It will soon be time to break out the long pants.:dizzy:

A couple of hours north of here it's nasty.

I must be a wuss...I don't even wear short pants in the summer. :omg: I seen that a Canadian Coast Guard ship rescued a freighter stuck in the ice out on Lake Erie the other day. In a few months I'll be griping and complaining about the mud, heat, mosquitos, etc. :dizzy: Even that sounds better than this cold crap, snow & ice.

Gregg,

Ok, I see that the 2700 is a little more old school, like a mini version of a PP365. I started using the 295 & Pioneer 500 (thanks again Tim) lol, last fall as my light weight, small wood saws. I seem to like them both for that purpose.

Gregg,

Thing is Gregg, the 2700/2800 is not a mini version, its built on the same chassis as the 365 but only 46cc. I don't have a 2700/2800 and personally aint looking too hard for one. Sure I would put one in the collection if I ran across one right, but otherwise why not run a 3000, 3300 or 3500 as far as that goes as the weights are going to be really close.

I do like the 40 and 46cc clamshells like the 2500, 275, PP255 and PP295. With a muffler mod there strong little runners and they don't weigh much. Only thing on those are the cheap plastic oilers. You have to run light bar oil in the winter or risk stripping them out. Not a deal breaker if you do have a oiler go out, there cheap and easy to change.

I just put this little 2600 together a short time back. I had gave my 4620 that I liked to a friend and wanted another similar model. This one isn't exactly stock, you might says it got warmed up a bit.. 20150128_200750 (Custom).jpg

Latest posts

Back