Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure if I recall correctly that he used an HS carb. The problem with those is the mounting bolts holes are angled and it would put the mixture needles at a bad angle and on the wrong side of the saw. The impulse hole is also in a really bad spot for use with the standard 3400 - 4000 carb adapter so an impulse port had to be fitted to the cylinder. Nothing is insurmountable there but a fair bit of fabrication (a new carb adapter) would have to be made to get the carb level.

For a cookie saw it would be fine as is.

I'm wondering if a larger Zama C3 variant like one off a Husky 365 might work but I'm not sure if the venturi is larger.
The HDB 8-1 carb used on the 3400- 4000 saws has a 16.61 mm venturi and a few of them like the HDB 1,2,4 &5 have a 19.01 mm venturi which would make the swap easy with maybe just a new throttle and choke link to fit those models.
Used ones don't seem to be readily available.

Somebody else in thread had thought it looked like a HS. From what I am reading I dont think so or it was another saw he built with another different carb too. ;)

Cory,

Interesting about the carb on the Timberbear. The model on the 3400 - 4000 HDB's is an HDB-8. Please let us know which model the HDB is on the Timberbear.

I would like to find out if that is one of the larger venturi HDB's which are rather rare and if the throttle rod end is the same as the Poulan one.

Redunshee was looking for a larger carb for his ported 4000 and if that's a larger venturi model then he could look for a Timberbear carb.

Thanks

Tim
Unfortunately the Mac is wearing an HDB-6. The throttle shaft linkage is reversed and looks like the venturi is 15.88 mm.

I did manage to lengthen a couple of the linkages on the 3400's for the throttle locks. I Just flattened out the bend at the trigger. Worked like a charm after a few trials.

what would be the recommend chain to run on a 36 inch bar on a 5200/8500, skip or regular?:drinkingcoffee:
View attachment 412772 View attachment 412771

That is a killer looking setup there. I imagine that will pull full house. I can't offer personal experience, but it seems long bar runners in these parts use at least semi-skip (on modern bigger cc imports). Probably a nice compromise for chain speed and chip clearance.

Whatever you end up going with, you must catch it on film when you bury that virgin bar.

I have a poulan s25da when i start it i have to play with the choke for it to stay running and it looks to be getting to much fuel through the fuel line to the carb Thanks for any info.

20140706_161923.jpg 20140706_161943.jpg

I have a poulan s25da when i start it i have to play with the choke for it to stay running and it looks to be getting to much fuel through the fuel line to the carb Thanks for any info.

View attachment 412790 View attachment 412791

View attachment 412790 View attachment 412791

Sounds like a carb issue. Did you rebuild the carb? Not sure of "too much fuel through the fuel line to the carb" statement. Amonut of fuel is a function of carb and reedvalve. BTW, does reedvalve look okay?

no bought it from a member here Jon1212 along with a N.O.S. 24 inch echo banana bar.

Gotcha, I've got one of those 24" echo bars from Jon, it's on one of my 5200's. I just asked because I saw a bar like that on the bay a couple days ago for pretty cheap, like $38 or something.

what would be the recommend chain to run on a 36 inch bar on a 5200/8500, skip or regular?:drinkingcoffee:
View attachment 412772 View attachment 412771

Stephen, If it were me..I'd use full comp chain. Biggest bar I have run on the 85cc Poulan is 30" And that is no problem. :D I'm sure it wouldn't make much difference, until it was time to sharpen. Then you would have less cutters to sharpen if using skip. LOL

Gregg,

Back