Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You definitely don't mess with a bull during the rut.

You ever hunt Moose Tim? Elk or Moose was always on my "want to do list" that I will never do..LOL Not at my age and health. I'll just stick with deer here at home, where I only need to walk couple hundred yards or so to get to my hunting spots. :D I'm happy with old Poulan's and Whitetail Deer!!

Gregg,

Nope. I've hunted deer and shot a few. I've never gone after moose. They have reintroduced elk here and they are coming along nicely. I pretty much stick with birds.
It's pretty neat when you're walking through the bush and a moose gets up in front of you.

Oh, I can imagine the adrenalin rush that follows that!! :D
One time, when I was a young guy, back in the late 60's, I was hunting rabbits at my grandfathers farm. Still had brushy fence rows at that time. Was ambling along and flushed a covey of at least 30 Bobwhite Quail, right beside and behind me. When they exploded, at once. I nearly jumped out of my skin. LOL I was wide awake after that!

Gregg,

Nope. I've hunted deer and shot a few. I've never gone after moose. They have reintroduced elk here and they are coming along nicely. I pretty much stick with birds.
It's pretty neat when you're walking through the bush and a moose gets up in front of you.

Here in Texas, the deer are as big as moose! Actually its quite the opposite, generally smaller deer with big racks. I do my hunting now in Vermont. However after many years of walking the woods I wait for them to walk onto the porch and knock on the door.

Oh, I can imagine the adrenalin rush that follows that!! :D
One time, when I was a young guy, back in the late 60's, I was hunting rabbits at my grandfathers farm. Still had brushy fence rows at that time. Was ambling along and flushed a covey of at least 30 Bobwhite Quail, right beside and behind me. When they exploded, at once. I nearly jumped out of my skin. LOL I was wide awake after that!

Gregg,

I've had this happen with pheasants before, scares the you know what out of ya!

I'm trying to learn more about chains and I've figured out the full skip and semi skip thing. My question is are the two chains pictured below "safety" chains? And if so are they garbage?

20150321_150735.jpg

I'm trying to learn more about chains and I've figured out the full skip and semi skip thing. My question is are the two chains pictured below "safety" chains? And if so are they garbage?

View attachment 413744
Yes anti-kickback "safety". But, I would not call them garbage. There is a give and take with the styles. More aggressive = faster cut but dulls faster especially in dirty wood. Most aggressive to least - Square chisel, round chisel, semichisel. Those look like semichisels - so will stay sharp longer in dirty wood.

There is much cutter left on those chains. The safety features can be modified to your needs it just takes time with filing / grinding. When sharpening the safety feature needs taken down to the raker height. I wear chaps all the time when cutting. No chain is full proof safety when cutting.

Yes anti-kickback "safety". But, I would not call them garbage. There is a give and take with the styles. More aggressive = faster cut but dulls faster especially in dirty wood. Most aggressive to least - Square chisel, round chisel, semichisel. Those look like semichisels - so will stay sharp longer in dirty wood.

There is much cutter left on those chains. The safety features can be modified to your needs it just takes time with filing / grinding. When sharpening the safety feature needs taken down to the raker height. I wear chaps all the time when cutting. No chain is full proof safety when cutting.

I keep one as a back up for when for when others may want to use one of my saws. I just feel better.

I cut and ground off two safety chains and use them when I'm in the creek cutting out fallen trees. They cut a little better but that's it, you even heard the exhaust of am wildthing under water. Also shoot a good rooster tail :)

Sent from my Prism II from T-Mobile, Steve

Latest posts

Back