Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess that fills the hole in my 3400/3700/4000 models now.

It's got the hex spacer in the rear handle and the non slotted air filter cover. Which end of the years made does that put this one? I can't recall off the top of my head...

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you are right on the 3800 Pulled the muffler for a quick peek. Light wasn't too good, but the rings did look thick as opposed to thin.

I typically feel if the rear handle paint isn't worn smooth the saw is likely in good shape. Looks like you have a keeper.

I think your probably right. The cylinder cover looks like it is melted a bit on the opposite side of the crack, so I'm thinking the muffler may be a bit loose which could be causing the saw to bog in the cut. We'll see though, I won't actually have the saw in my possession until for bit until I see my Dad.

Guess that fills the hole in my 3400/3700/4000 models now.

It's got the hex spacer in the rear handle and the non slotted air filter cover. Which end of the years made does that put this one? I can't recall off the top of my head...

Check out the piston. I've seen red ones that were actually 3800's

Check out the piston. I've seen red ones that were actually 3800's
Piston looks pretty decent... From this side. Seems to be thick rings.
1a91be54b6fb9b898ce2e3397f00e986.jpg

Cylinder looks ok, 'cept for that little line on the left side of the pic. Doesn't appear to be gouged or anything though. We'll see how they plays out...
1f1a0368e8cb66e24bfbd85ce31e8a6c.jpg

Piston looks pretty decent... From this side. Seems to be thick rings.
1a91be54b6fb9b898ce2e3397f00e986.jpg

Cylinder looks ok, 'cept for that little line on the left side of the pic. Doesn't appear to be gouged or anything though. We'll see how they plays out...
1f1a0368e8cb66e24bfbd85ce31e8a6c.jpg

Nice Jon, hopefully it works out for ya, especially at the price!

Nice Jon, hopefully it works out for ya, especially at the price!

Yeah, I'm def not into it for much. It'll be worth the clean up i do believe. Like I really needed another project. Got too much of other people's stuff lined up before mine. Guess that's not always a bad thing though.

I've had this 4200 apart for two years waiting for paint. The color match is very good but doesn't look it in this pic (flourescent light)
I used a NOS chain brake for a match.

View attachment 443579

Apart for two years? You've got me beat Tim. I can't find parts on saws I've taken apart two hours ago! Even less if my girls have been playing with the "tools" and building "stuff".

Paint is from Home Hardware? If so, I have never tried their product.

The stuff sprays pretty well but you have to cut it in half or a little less. I used acetone to cut it this time. Worked well. Some of the stores have hand held scanners for colour but you need a flat surface to get a good reading.

I have the pigment mix for Poulan lime green paint and for the Pioneer P series saws for the yellow and green if you want them. The paint is a clear base alkyd enamel.Prime with self etching primer. I will finish it with a Plastikote 229 clear engine enamel which is very fuel and oil resistant. A friend of mine did tests on several clear coats and that was the best he could find.

64-03 clear gloss base

http://www.homehardware.ca/Document...e-right-paint/SellSheet-AlkydRustCoat-ENG.pdf

Still have grandpas old 3400 cv. great saw. even though we have a dozen stihl saws to cut with, the old poulan still makes every trip out to make wood. grandpas face when i fired it up was awesome, he didnt even know the saw was still around, much less running. I have a love hate relationship with poulan, the old saws were great and i pick up every one i can, just to have. on the other hand, i have a bout a dozen oulan big box store saws i dont care about, but people give them to me and i make them run, they all run but collect dust in the machine shed.
Maybe someone on the poulan thread can chime in, i took a poulan 3000 in on trade, new gas, new fuel lines, and away it went. and it sang. suprised the hell out of me how good of running saw it was. also took a 2800 in on trade that cuts like a dream. were these walmart saws or were they something better?

...Maybe someone on the poulan thread can chime in, i took a poulan 3000 in on trade, new gas, new fuel lines, and away it went. and it sang. suprised the hell out of me how good of running saw it was. also took a 2800 in on trade that cuts like a dream. were these walmart saws or were they something better?

I can't comment if those were big box saws in their time. Nonethless, they are well respected machines to those that run them. A healthy 3000 is a great sub-50cc saw. Open up the muffler and run a shorter bar if possible. Little rippers. I would think that a strong running, muffler modded 3000 should pretty much hang with an 026 if you've got one.

I can't comment if those were big box saws in their time. Nonethless, they are well respected machines to those that run them. A healthy 3000 is a great sub-50cc saw. Open up the muffler and run a shorter bar if possible. Little rippers. I would think that a strong running, muffler modded 3000 should pretty much hang with an 026 if you've got one.
I do have an 026, times 2 actually. I thought they were similar, but never did a muffler mod and sold it. Just don't like the idea of no chain brake. Plus the 026 still has a power advantage IMO. However I still have the 2800.

I bought a second Craftsman 3.7 (Poulan 3700/3800) off a Craig's List ad this afternoon. With the exception of some paint rubbed off the bit just under the clutch cover, it's really clean and has great compression. The fellow even dug out the case for it.

Since I've been seeing clean one go for decent money on eBay, I consider $35.00 a really good price. And old, good chainsaws are rare around here. Maybe the dollar I gave the guy at Goodwill to help him pay for a shirt brought me some positive karma :cool:.

I just got home with it, won't have time to give it a better go-over until tomorrow. No photos either, but here's the CL ad with some photos. The paint looks a lot fresher than it appears in the ad photos.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/5193070985.html

EDIT--I noticed that earlier someone posted the non-vented AF cover might indicate a 3800.

Back