Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have repaired one of those before. I just used a center punch in like 3 places to peen the metal over the washer, never had another problem out of it.

I have to say the saw was pretty old and had a ton of hours on it before it finally failed. They worked well and is only a problem now since some are now 40+ years old. It would be nice if they were still available but it looks like they can be repaired and live on for quite a while longer.

Yep, there can't be much force pulling in & out right there, hope it lasts another 30 years LOL.

It 'a a one shot deal though, not enough good metal left to do it again.

I just went back & recrimped the ends, with a 25 cent 1/8" roll pin I picked up at Ace, and the crimps are stronger...but still look like ****.

You would need a spinner tool like a chain preset die to make it look factory again.

image.jpeg

That was too easy! A big thanks again to Mr. Hogg for the diaphragm material.

Punch the plunger out, and then redress both the cupped washers as it deforms them.

Take needle nose pliers and, easy now,
rotate & squeeze the expanded part of the head until it just fits back into the washer ID, and no more. You need that metal to recrimp and its's butter soft.

Cut & punch your diaphragm out.

View attachment 467070

View attachment 467047

Then I used a tap handle adjusted to the 0.120" OD round nib on the plunger end. You can't see the round nib on the end of this one, as I squeezed to much of the original in on my first try.

Went tapping around two times and locked the diaphragm right in. A custom hollow punch or even a roll pin that is 0.120" ID would have looked a hell of a lot better. I'll make one on the lathe at work.

View attachment 467053
Well, I pulled an oil pump from one of my other S25's and the diaphragm was good. Put it on the saw I was working on and it held pressure. The bad diaphragm's pintle is all smashed in and there doesn't appear to be enough material to pinch the diaphragm onto it. I may see if I can use some JB weld. Funny thing is I'm running out of S25's that work. Wish I could find some diaphragm's but I'm not about to pay $40 for one!

Sorry for mucking up the Poulan thread with more deer pics. :picture: My brother managed to snag the last deaf, dumb & blind buck this afternoon. Thats gonna make my quest that much harder..lol Big 10 or 11 point, depending on how you look at em I guess. Had some weird ones on the left side. Plus a very tall split brow tine. Had an 18" inside spread.

Deer2015Lanny%20006_zpsaamve4jo.jpg

Deer2015Lanny%20007_zps6poybvcc.jpg

:barbecue:

Gregg,

Nice rack Gregg.
Did a little sawing today. I had 5 4' pieces of ash left to cut and split. I used the 3450 (60cc) cause I wanted to finish off the fuel in it. Those are kick a$$ saws.View attachment 467165View attachment 467166View attachment 467167

Yes they are Joe!! I love the pp380. By the way, How do like your two-way splitter? I darn near bought one of those several years ago from Northern Tool. Ended up buying a splitter that would do vertical instead.

Gregg,

would like get dads old saw fired upView attachment 467184

Looks like it will be a dandy one when finished up! God! that makes me feel REAL old when someone says they want to get dads old saw running again. LOL I used nothing but a 3400 for 20+ years. They will run forever I do believe.

Nice coyote too!!! Don't see or hear them around here much any more. Several years ago there was a group of fellas that hunted them pretty hard during the winter months, when we had a fresh snow. I think they pretty well cleaned up the coyote population around here.

Gregg,

Looks like it will be a dandy one when finished up! God! that makes me feel REAL old when someone says they want to get dads old saw running again. LOL I used nothing but a 3400 for 20+ years. They will run forever I do believe.

Nice coyote too!!! Don't see or hear them around here much any more. Several years ago there was a group of fellas that hunted them pretty hard during the winter months, when we had a fresh snow. I think they pretty well cleaned up the coyote population around here.

Gregg,
I got new rings for dad's bowsaw , I don't think coyote are native to Virginia any way iam not far from richmond city

Gregg,
I been using husqvarna 359 and 372 for 12 years both work and fire wood before that only dads poulan 3400 and 25 and makita

Sorry for mucking up the Poulan thread with more deer pics. :picture: My brother managed to snag the last deaf, dumb & blind buck this afternoon. Thats gonna make my quest that much harder..lol Big 10 or 11 point, depending on how you look at em I guess. Had some weird ones on the left side. Plus a very tall split brow tine. Had an 18" inside spread.

Deer2015Lanny%20006_zpsaamve4jo.jpg

Deer2015Lanny%20007_zps6poybvcc.jpg

:barbecue:

Gregg,

Sweet............................. :clap:

Had Ghost pepper :crazy2: chili with fresh today ground deer. :cheers:

They must of been moving them good today. Friend got one of the biggest basic 8's I have seen in a long time. :baba:

Yes they are Joe!! I love the pp380. By the way, How do like your two-way splitter? I darn near bought one of those several years ago from Northern Tool. Ended up buying a splitter that would do vertical instead.

Gregg,
I have a 380 too but I don't think I've cut with it yet. The splitter is great. My dad, brother in law and me split it (haha) 3 ways. It's 4 years old. The original chicom engine s#!+ the bed this fall and not a ton of hours on it. Engine knocked itself out of time, valves or key. So we put a new chicom engine on iT. Everything else has been perfect. Big heavy stuff is tricky, I've ramped it but the flip type is the best for that

Well we put that piston kit in I got from lil red barn. Down side is the piston pin is too small for the rod, slides in and out of it. The piston bearings just pushed in. So we used the old wrist pin and stacked the bearings in the piston. What good are cir clips if there's no grove in the piston for them to lock into. Upside is we got it together and she runs great, hits on second pull every time cold.

Steve

Latest posts

Back