Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would post a couple pics of the p/c of the Poulan Pro 655bp. I know a lot of you guys already own one of these saws. And know whats what with these. I am new to the game. Wanted one of these for a long time. I acquired this 655 from fellow member (rdunshee) Bob, this winter. I know Bob has pretty much gone over this saw, so I am not gonna rebuild carb, and do most things I would with a new to me saw. ;)

I am swapping a few parts, just because...lol I will be adding full wrap handle, dual large spikes, K&N air filter setup, some decals etc. I pulled the cyl, to see for myself fist hand whats inside these beasts. This saw clearly has the "boost port" and windowed piston, I guess you call it, with thick rings. And all looks good there! It is my understanding that the later Pioneer version of what would become this saw, and early Poulan version, had no "bp", no window on piston and thin rings. Soon they made some changes, to what is on this saw now.

Most guys say the only way to tell if they are any "faster" or whatever is with a stop watch. But in normal cutting conditions, would be hard pressed to tell.
Be a while till I get it into wood, but am anxious to do so. I have had the opportunity to run several other members 655's, so I know what to expect. :dancing:

Couple pics of the boost port
655bp%20009_zpswdlxjcjt.jpg

655bp%20005_zpsp2lrtdgf.jpg

Piston
655bp%20001_zps5wfzzog0.jpg

655bp%20004_zpspiuw3344.jpg

Cyl. port "bump" from out side.
655bp%20006_zpsjh9plre0.jpg

655bp%20007_zpscelqy4zp.jpg

Will take more pics etc, further along I get with it, and hopefully a video of it actually cutting wood...LOL

Gregg,

Thanks for the pics Gregg, sweet saw! Excited to see a video of you cutting with it, I think I've seen most of your YouTube videos a couple times already haha!

Does anyone have a Poulan S25DA parts saw(s)? I'm looking for a few parts to complete a Craig'sList find.

Switch
Pull starter front cover screw
Handle rear screw
Duckbill retainer /star washer
Rubber pull starter handle

Thank you,
Weedhopper

Great. I have two or three where the button just sounds around and is very loose.

If the diaphragm material is still good & the button spins around, punch the 1/16" pin out with a smaller punch made from a cut drill bit, back the big button side up on a bolt end clamped in your vise, & smack the opposite side with a 1/4" tip punch. Check for rotation & repeat if needed.

The metal is very soft & you'll probably need to hand drill the hole a bit where the pin goes as it forms closed on the crimp end when you smack it.

Reinstall the pin, most were sticking out 0.530 " from the button, of the ten or twelve I've done.

Does anyone have a Poulan S25DA parts saw(s)? I'm looking for a few parts to complete a Craig'sList find.

Switch
Pull starter front cover screw
Handle rear screw
Duckbill retainer /star washer
Rubber pull starter handle

Thank you,
Weedhopper
The duckbill retainer can be gotten from a weedeater or chainsaw gas cap

Steve

Any you fellas run .404 chains on a regular basis? I don't own any, or never have run any, that I know of. Might have a ta GTG, can't remember. And curious how some of are bigger Poulans perform with it. In particular, the 5200. Or the the 655, 6000, etc. Any of em really.

Gregg,

I know the crank seals for the S25DA are an SKF part number, but does anyone know if auto parts stores carry them like the they do the National ones for the 4200/5200 or do the S25DA ones have to be ordered online? Are they as easy to change as the bigger saws?

Any you fellas run .404 chains on a regular basis? I don't own any, or never have run any, that I know of. Might have a ta GTG, can't remember. And curious how some of are bigger Poulans perform with it. In particular, the 5200. Or the the 655, 6000, etc. Any of em really.

Gregg,
I do always on my big saws

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I know the crank seals for the S25DA are an SKF part number, but does anyone know if auto parts stores carry them like the they do the National ones for the 4200/5200 or do the S25DA ones have to be ordered online? Are they as easy to change as the bigger saws?
Very easy

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

-F/W & PTO seals:530019051. CR/SKF-5510. National/Timken 313156

The Poulan seals are still available.

The SKF and National seals should be available at a parts store. Most of these seals are transmission shaft seals.

-F/W & PTO seals:530019051. CR/SKF-5510. National/Timken 313156

The Poulan seals are still available.

The SKF and National seals should be available at a parts store. Most of these seals are transmission shaft seals.

Thanks Tim, a local saw shop actually has the PTO ones, going to pick a couple up at lunch today.

Back