Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice stand you have it mounted to.
The saw looks like it is coming along nicely.

Yes it is.......it has a funny story.....I happened on it on ebay, A guy was selling off stuff from a closed saw shop in the PNW.....he didn't know what it was...I won it for $79 delivered....it came and I scoured it for a tag or number or anything to learn it's name/ history/make/maker...anything....not a mark of any kind in it/on it anywhere so it remained a puzzle for a number of years......a very useful puzzle. Then one day I won a large Tilton's (Importers of Jonsereds) catalogue in a big binder......and lo-and behold there it was for sale...I've not seen another in pics or in person though they must be out there....real solid and durable...has grease fittings on the swivel....rotates in two directions very good to work on saws with...made for it....and it's somehow correct that I ended up with it....seeing as I have close to 100 Jonsereds saws!!!

Yes it is.......it has a funny story.....I happened on it on ebay, A guy was selling off stuff from a closed saw shop in the PNW.....he didn't know what it was...I won it for $79 delivered....it came and I scoured it for a tag or number or anything to learn it's name/ history/make/maker...anything....not a mark of any kind in it/on it anywhere so it remained a puzzle for a number of years......a very useful puzzle. Then one day I won a large Tilton's (Importers of Jonsereds) catalogue in a big binder......and lo-and behold there it was for sale...I've not seen another in pics or in person though they must be out there....real solid and durable...has grease fittings on the swivel....rotates in two directions very good to work on saws with...made for it....and it's somehow correct that I ended up with it....seeing as I have close to 100 Jonsereds saws!!!

I have to agree.
I have read many of your posts in the past and believe you are one of the Jonsered guru's. You kind of threw me for a second in the Poulan thread.

Very nice work area. Nice to have some natural light.

It looks like you are getting a little short of cylinders though.:crazy:

Perhaps.....I keep an eye out......those are all NOS Jonsereds P&C kits.......from a 49sp to 111S....lol...the 111S kit was part of a wedding present.......need I say who got the sterling silver serving tray and who got the 111S P&C??? Thank again Unc!!!!

That has to be a first. Great uncle you have there. A very thoughtful man.

Well yes he is........he's an Unc in name only.....very good guy......funny thing is...at the time I didn't even own a 111S...let alone need a P&C...!!!! Maybe he can see the future!!!

I've Got a tomfool question on Cantdogs saw stand.
Is the saw mounted on that side of the fixture bar offset, for access
i.e. to reach out to your working stance?
Just thinking of the center of gravity vs the reach thing, was all.

When I was still an honest days worker, I used to like my bench vise mounted out on a sort of beaver tail that I'd welded onto the (steel of course) work table.
And You need a diagonal brace or two run from the underside of the mounting tab, down to a solid point of the bench leg,
Usually right where the lower shelf was at.

But I find that a solid mounting of the vice is often more of a benefit
than fussing (too much) over the location.

anyhow, I'll just shaddup for now.

I've Got a tomfool question on Cantdogs saw stand.
Is the saw mounted on that side of the fixture bar offset, for access
i.e. to reach out to your working stance?
Just thinking of the center of gravity vs the reach thing, was all.

When I was still an honest days worker, I used to like my bench vise mounted out on a sort of beaver tail that I'd welded onto the (steel of course) work table.
And You need a diagonal brace or two run from the underside of the mounting tab, down to a solid point of the bench leg,
Usually right where the lower shelf was at.

But I find that a solid mounting of the vice is often more of a benefit
than fussing (too much) over the location.

anyhow, I'll just shaddup for now.

As it stands now it is actually mounted in the center of two pieces of 3/4" plywood and simply clamped to the bench. This way I can move it around a bit trying it here and there as I'm not exactly sure where I want to mount it permanently....planning on adding a layer of 1/8" steel plate with broken edges to the benchtop for durability and easier cleanup.....so trying to find the perfect spot to work from before I bore holes in a new metal top.......I am actually leaning more to locating it more on the outside corner equidistant from each side of the right angle with room to rotate a saw down by the edge.....but still not settled...

Yeah, I brain cramped and forgot to add I had the overhang mounted off of what was my right corner (when at the bench) position.

This was one of those rotating type vises, but having it able to clamp a workpiece with clearance to reach the floor, yet you still had almost a 180 deg sideways swing while holding it, was darned handy!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-5...Bench-Vise-with-Swivel-Base-BV-MPV5/205023076

ah. overcast daylight and a gazillion percent humidity here.
Let me go try and swap a 42cc poulan carb, IF my hands don't go too sweaty first, to grip things.

Yeah, I brain cramped and forgot to add I had the overhang mounted off of what was my right corner (when at the bench) position.

This was one of those rotating type vises, but having it able to clamp a workpiece with clearance to reach the floor, yet you still had almost a 180 deg sideways swing while holding it, was darned handy!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-5...Bench-Vise-with-Swivel-Base-BV-MPV5/205023076

ah. overcast daylight and a gazillion percent humidity here.
Let me go try and swap a 42cc poulan carb, IF my hands don't go too sweaty first, to grip things.

I have a very similar bench vise mounted midway on the bench which seems to work well for what I use it for......when set 90 degrees to the bench it allows me to support items 10-12' in both directions if necessary.....

001.JPG 113.JPG

Does that 2-way cross slide vice ( by the drill press ) mean that I don't have to envy you having a milling machine in that spacious looking shop?
bahhh, Probably just have the lathe and a mill on the other side of the room.

Or are you more oriented to the wood working?
I see a collection hose and a knife grinder in there.
IF you try to tell us the grinder is just for your mower blades, then I'm going to offer to share my OCD meds with ya!

Does that 2-way cross slide vice ( by the drill press ) mean that I don't have to envy you having a milling machine in that spacious looking shop?
bahhh, Probably just have the lathe and a mill on the other side of the room.

Or are you more oriented to the wood working?
I see a collection hose and a knife grinder in there.
IF you try to tell us the grinder is just for your mower blades, then I'm going to offer to share my OCD meds with ya!

LOL........No I don't have a milling machine and my small metal lathe is not set up yet. Woodworking is my primary occupation....these pics are mostly just of the sharpening/metal working and saw section.....few pics of the woodworking part....

49 SP and 70E Build 176.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 179.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 183.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 197.jpg End of Struggle 017.JPG 1 toboggan done 006.JPG

Back