Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an old Sears Roper, filter cover is white and busted up, cheap made, the clutch cover is also cheap made. Compression, that's a different story, will pull your arm out of place. I went to start mine with the decompression on and it snatched the handle out of my hand and took out the filter cover. Oiling system is over complicated, three copper lines to the oil tank, oil knob is like a pressure type valve to dump more oil to the bar. I'll take a Poulan over it any day.

Steve

I got an old Sears Roper, filter cover is white and busted up, cheap made, the clutch cover is also cheap made. Compression, that's a different story, will pull your arm out of place. I went to start mine with the decompression on and it snatched the handle out of my hand and took out the filter cover. Oiling system is over complicated, three copper lines to the oil tank, oil knob is like a pressure type valve to dump more oil to the bar. I'll take a Poulan over it any day.

Steve

Steve

471268359238508f3d51aa81b5f4cad9.jpg

The other side of the pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may be a mix of parts on that one, the production year on bottom of cover is 73 but the year on cylinder head is 80. But now that I think about it, that sticker maybe from a roper...
9d371cd78dccffce6a7d76d8d1c450bf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just did some muffler altering on one of my pro 475s. That muffler design leaves a lot of room for improvement I'll post some pics but I modified the inner and outer plate so the exhaust doesn't have to travel a Rube Goldberg device to get out. Also cut some slits in the bottom corner progressively getting shorter toward the center, it runs and sounds like It aught to.

I found a 42" sprocket tip bar with full skip chain for reasonable money. Can I run this on one of my 475 pros without it being way overkill I'm sure it won't be a speed demon with one but, if the chain was kept razor sharp would it pull it decent. What say yee?

Got my new to me 4000 last night. Piston and cylinder look fantastic and it cleaned up really nice. 18" bar and decent chain on it. Just need to replace the cylinder cover and rear handle that are both cracked and it'll be a pretty sweet saw. Compression read just over 140 psi on my gauge. This is a 1983 model for those discussing years of this later model of 4000.

Clean pics.

P2.jpg
P1.jpg
P.jpg

That 4000 looks spectacular! Where did you find it? It looks like it sat on a shelf in somebody's garage for the majority of its life.

That 4000 looks spectacular! Where did you find it? It looks like it sat on a shelf in somebody's garage for the majority of its life.

Other than the broken cylinder cover and the broken rear handle it does look spectacular. Those will be replaced shortly though. Not bad for $75.

So I don't know how my last post got there.... I was responding to a question in a different thread???

-Efisher26-

Back