Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem was not a fault of Piston quality or install. lt was a oversite made here by me. l found a small fragment of the old thin piston ring that was left behind in crankcase. lt got sucked up thru transfere ports quickly and damaged my P&C.
l took a hard knock but live goes on.
Anyhow l am again looking for another cyl if one shows up.
Thanks for all your input.

Out

No, no. I picked up a modern plastic "homeowner" Poulan Pro. One of the refurbished models, PP5020AV. I was joking that you guys might "ban" (read: throw out) me for commiting such a crime.
So how do you like the 5020 av?

I pulled it out of the box and went over it throughly, but I haven't run it yet. It seems to be in good condition but there is fuel in the purge bulb from prior to shipping. Piston looks great. Compared to the muffler, I think they either cleaned the piston and exhaust port or replaced them. The muffler was black with carbon but the exhaust port was cleaner and the piston barely had any color on top. Clutch splines have very light wear. I look forward to running it, not bad for $105 to my door.

I pulled it out of the box and went over it throughly, but I haven't run it yet. It seems to be in good condition but there is fuel in the purge bulb from prior to shipping. Piston looks great. Compared to the muffler, I think they either cleaned the piston and exhaust port or replaced them. The muffler was black with carbon but the exhaust port was cleaner and the piston barely had any color on top. Clutch splines have very light wear. I look forward to running it, not bad for $105 to my door.

They use some kind weird fuel line on those. There is a clear film liner which will pull out if you pull the fuel filter off. Likely a cost savings

You might want to consider replacing them with Tygon rather than tempt fate.

Was talking to a guy last we online and he was getting fine saw dust in his pp5020. He has yet posted any pictures of the sealing area of the filter or air box, so I don't know if he found his problem or not, his was new.

Steve

They use some kind weird fuel line on those. There is a clear film liner which will pull out if you pull the fuel filter off. Likely a cost savings

They use that cheap crappie fuel line, ain't worth the boat it came on. You might want to go ahead and change it out.

Steve

They use that cheap crappie fuel line, ain't worth the boat it came on. You might want to go ahead and change it out.

Steve

That's the new LE "low emissions" fuel line, thanks to the EPA. Hope Trump puts a stop to that crappy line and high dollar triple layered fuel tanks you're about to start seeing.

These are Crappie, just cleaned 18 big ones...Spring has sprung! Lol

IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG

Hmm, I looked briefly in the tank and it was a yellowish line in there. Need to look more in depth but my first thought was the line was Tygon color. IDK, maybe not.

Was talking to a guy last we online and he was getting fine saw dust in his pp5020. He has yet posted any pictures of the sealing area of the filter or air box, so I don't know if he found his problem or not, his was new.

Steve
I did see some fine dust on the strato carb plate and air filter housing. I will put some vasiline around the filter before I run it.

Steve

When I google the part number, most of the images are of a clear line. What color is the factory line?

Pretty sure that fuel line is actual Tygon LP1100 Low Permeation line (yellow)...., not cheapy knock-off line. It does have problems, tho. The membrane tends to come loose from the inner wall and clogs the line. I've seen that multiple times. Otherwise a PP5020 will surprise most folks the first time they run one. Great saw for the money.

Back