Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That redneck seal check saved me from putting together a 505 I received without the topend on it.

Did the quick check filling crankcase and seen I had a PTO side leaking. So saved me a bunch of time that would have wasted otherwise.
Not as easy as popping in just a seal on the pto side. ;)

seal505004_zps8e6d7de3.jpg
seal505005_zps5f46acbe.jpg

My point is just because it will hold oil or mix doesn't mean it will hold vacuum. A leaky seal can 'seal' like a one way valve when pressurized but fail when vacuum is applied. That's why most folks do both a vac and pressure test.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, just pointing out the limitation of the particular method for testing seals.

My point is just because it will hold oil or mix doesn't mean it will hold vacuum. A leaky seal can 'seal' like a one way valve when pressurized but fail when vacuum is applied. That's why most folks do both a vac and pressure test.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, just pointing out the limitation of the particular method for testing seals.

You make a good point. It does not check under pressure or vacuum. But on these saws you have to split the case to replace the PTO side seal with the bearing. So a quick check while the cylinder is off is what I was looking for. The saw runs great so I guess I got lucky this time. I can go back at anytime and check with pressure and vacuum if the saw starts to act funny.

I used to be the same way but have taught myself to use them on the few saws that I have that do have them. Most the time anyway. LOL

I have had to replace those broken plastic pulleys before on those so I think about those...

When you think about it, there is a lot of fragile in the whole on those saws..

Yep like the clutch cover.

And recoil covers and there is the reason your saw has a red tank on it also..

They are good runners though.

Yep that is true. I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot more of the red tanks available for sale and were not so expensive.
This makes my 3rd 505 so I was just scrounging parts to get it going. Like you said they make good runners.

But on these saws you have to split the case to replace the PTO side seal with the bearing. So a quick check while the cylinder is off is what I was looking for.

Now it makes more sense. Didn't realize the case had to be split to replace the particular seal (as part of the bearing assembly I presume?). 'Preciate that little nugget of info in the event I run across one of those. But a quick vac/pressure test with the cylinder bolted on (if you had the cylinder, of course) would still take less than 4 hours!!! LOL

I like the color scheme, btw. Now it just needs a black bar with Poulan emblazoned in lime green!

OK. I'll go now. :)

Now it makes more sense. Didn't realize the case had to be split to replace the particular seal. 'Preciate that little nugget of info in the event I run across one of those. But a quick vac/pressure test with the cylinder bolted on (if you had the cylinder, of course) would still take less than 4 hours!!! LOL

I like the color scheme, btw. Now it just needs a black bar with Poulan in lime green!

Does that "less than 4 hours" include breaks and a nap or two? I need to get an estimate for seniors.

Now it makes more sense. Didn't realize the case had to be split to replace the particular seal (as part of the bearing assembly I presume?). 'Preciate that little nugget of info in the event I run across one of those. But a quick vac/pressure test with the cylinder bolted on (if you had the cylinder, of course) would still take less than 4 hours!!! LOL

I like the color scheme, btw. Now it just needs a black bar with Poulan emblazoned in lime green!

If I remember correctly they had a nick name for saws like this. They were called the Frankenstein saw.

I think he was poking a little fun on the time it takes.

Better safe then sorry wasting time buttoning one up to find out you need to pull it all back down again. Especially on these. :cheers:

I usually do this before leaving the shop area any way. So really no time at all as I am doing something else in the mean time. :crazy:

Back