Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it look like the crank is bent or is than an optical illusion? I just have a picture to go by? It’s a Craftsman 3.3
dca99c7df6ad3f0255b98098d234f3f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only way I know to be sure is the pull the clutch and watch the crank while turning it over, unless you want to get technical, mount a dial indicator on the saw and watch the needle on the gauge for any deflection.

Steve

Well Tim, it appears the flywheel was the problem. Switched with a 3400 flywheel and though I ran it for only a minute or so, it runs fine. Next step is to swap pulleys so I can put the original cover back on. This 3700 has the 4000 dogs where the 3400 flywheel has the standard dogs. Very frustrating and time consuming process.

I have knocked the splined dog studs out from the back of the flywheel and wouldn't hesitate to do that and add a a bit of JB weld when they go back in. Changing a pulley is easier if you have one. It seems no one is making 3400 pulleys now so they will get scarce fast.

I've changed one of my 3700's over to a 3400 set up due to a broken starter pulley.

Does it look like the crank is bent or is than an optical illusion? I just have a picture to go by? It’s a Craftsman 3.3

The clutch cover looks like this. What caused this groove? It’s more pronounced on the bottom.
6c863e663b8f67784d90f73fa0115216.jpg

Only way I know to be sure is the pull the clutch and watch the crank while turning it over, unless you want to get technical, mount a dial indicator on the saw and watch the needle on the gauge for any deflection.

Steve

Saw is on eBay, I don’t want it, if it has a bent crank. I am very hesitant about placing a bid.

I have knocked the splined dog studs out from the back of the flywheel and wouldn't hesitate to do that and add a a bit of JB weld when they go back in. Changing a pulley is easier if you have one. It seems no one is making 3400 pulleys now so they will get scarce fast.

I've changed one of my 3700's over to a 3400 set up due to a broken starter pulley.
Yea, that was option #2. Much easier to replace the pulleys, which took 10 minutes. Guess I'll punch out the dogs on the bad flywheel and save them for future use.

Could be a shot needle bearing. If it has a bent crank bad needle bearing - neither are good for a saw if run for any period of time...

Latest posts

Back