Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an extra one and will try it. First I put a new fuel line and filter on and will try it before replacing the coil. Always assumed coils worked or didnt.

Bob sometimes the connection between the plug wire and the coil get's bad. Unscrew the plug wire from the coil, cut 1/4" inch off and screw the wire back in.

Anyone have any carvings done by Brian Ruth?
0f4db63c0cba8968d217c1b02921beb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coil off of a 2300 can bolt up to 3400-4000 if you have one kicking around. I did one a few years ago. Pretty certain the holes needed to be modified a smidge. Legs of the core recontoured. Wire swapped. No biggie. Lots of saws ago, so the details are fuzzy.

3400 was doing the same thing at WOT. Then the coil laid a turd.

Roached 2300's show up at the scrap. Some parts are worth stripping.

The coil off of a 2300 can bolt up to 3400-4000 if you have one kicking around. I did one a few years ago. Pretty certain the holes needed to be modified a smidge. Legs of the core recontoured. Wire swapped. No biggie. Lots of saws ago, so the details are fuzzy.

3400 was doing the same thing at WOT. Then the coil laid a turd.

Roached 2300's show up at the scrap. Some parts are worth stripping.
Great recommendation. Luckily I have a couple coils lying around from old 3400's I tore apart. I'll try one and if it solves the trick, I'll charge the guy $20 for it. This guy , butchers saws, as I sold him a great shape saw and now its beat to hell and never been cleaned.

Anyone know if there were two different sized coils for the 3400-4000 series saws? I found one, in my parts boxes, that looks exactly like the bad one but is smaller in size. Everything matches up, though. I installed it and it seems to work but there is still a small hesitation or stumbling at wot. Now, the leaner I go on the Hi side seems to help but I'm uneasy about going less than 3/4 open. I may swap a coil from a running 3400-4000 saw just to see if there is any improvement. Weird situation.

Anyone know if there were two different sized coils for the 3400-4000 series saws? I found one, in my parts boxes, that looks exactly like the bad one but is smaller in size. Everything matches up, though. I installed it and it seems to work but there is still a small hesitation or stumbling at wot. Now, the leaner I go on the Hi side seems to help but I'm uneasy about going less than 3/4 open. I may swap a coil from a running 3400-4000 saw just to see if there is any improvement. Weird situation.

Yes there are two different types of coils, one is a little larger for some reason, redesigning maybe

Yes there are two different types of coils, one is a little larger for some reason, redesigning maybe

That solves that question. Thanks. So I guess its something other than the coil, I believe. I'm using a carb borrowed from a good running saw, just to eliminate possibilities. New fuel line and filter and plug. Only thing I haven't checked is the piston and cylinder, but I tend to doubt that's the culprit.

Once the saw gets past the stumbling / hesitation does it clear up? Or is it constant

Once the saw gets past the stumbling / hesitation does it clear up? Or is it constant

I seems to improve if keep it at wot . Almost sounds like its fourstroking which makes me wonder about the Hi setting. RPM's seem to be very high though I haven't tached is as of yet.

I had a saw in that drove me bat **** crazy. Replace coil, carb etc. Finally figure out it wasnt the coil or carb like you are describing. Was a ring wore that had a flutter while running. Just my WAG to look at.

Installed a ring and all was right with the saw again. Go figure. ;)

I had a saw in that drove me bat **** crazy. Replace coil, carb etc. Finally figure out it wasnt the coil or carb like you are describing. Was a ring wore that had a flutter while running. Just my WAG to look at.

Installed a ring and all was right with the saw again. Go figure. ;)
Well, I've tried three coils and two carbs with the same results. Flywheel is my next option. I pulled the cylinder to check if the impulse was blocked. Hope it's not a ring as I don't have a new one, only some used ones.

Latest posts

Back