Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have an extra 3400 piston they can part with? Tried to iso I think I'lll the one I had and several needle bearings popped out. Stupid move.
All set and thanks to Acornhill and Bplust. Reason I needed a new piston was I couldn't find my handy dandy Poulan piston remover/installer. Crank was out of saw so I used a drift to remove the piston. In trying to reinstall I used the drift as a guide to center the piston on the rod. When I tried to install the wrist pin the end of the drift must have dislodged several of the needle bearings in the piston. Finally found the Poulan installer(need to somehow modify the tip). Think I'll reassemble the case and install crank before fooling with the piston.

likely true. Was a gauge near the intake port that I tried to reduce with emery cloth. Must have created blowby as Steve mentioned. Other than that it's in great shape and was hoping to give it to my son. Likely look on the Bay for a parts saw.

I’m looking good on the aluminum bore cleanup in the 3.8 Craftsman!

It's over 145, almost to 150#, with new rings & a 0.005” Braums ice cream paper sack base gasket. Also used Motoseal to lightly coat both sides. No leaks, even the crank seals are good.

Putting it back together & running it this weekend, Saturday is supposed to be a warmer day.

Take note that the Stihl intake test blind works great on the Poulans.

1CB8CA37-EF13-4234-B385-63501199B6E0.jpeg

I’m looking good on the aluminum bore cleanup in the 3.8 Craftsman!

It's over 145, almost to 150#, with new rings & a 0.005” Braums ice cream paper sack base gasket. Also used Motoseal to lightly coat both sides. No leaks, even the crank seals are good.

Putting it back together & running it this weekend, Saturday is supposed to be a warmer day.

Take note that the Stihl intake test blind works great on the Poulans.

View attachment 626328
Great job on the 3300. You referring to the Stihl blocking plate?

My 4000 arrived. Pretty dirty but generally in real good shape. Pulled muffler and the piston and cylinder look good. Will no more when I pull the cylinder. Comp is somewhat low at 125. Maybe by flipping the rings and no base gasket it will improve. Think I'll see if I can find a set of rings, as hard as that may be. Saw has spark so my real quick observation leads me to think its a runner.

My 4000 arrived. Pretty dirty but generally in real good shape. Pulled muffler and the piston and cylinder look good. Will no more when I pull the cylinder. Comp is somewhat low at 125. Maybe by flipping the rings and no base gasket it will improve. Think I'll see if I can find a set of rings, as hard as that may be. Saw has spark so my real quick observation leads me to think its a runner.
Found me a 4000 now I have to wait for it to arrive, sucks to wait but it's supposed to run. I'll keep you posted

Well hope to get out tomorrow. Will see if the 1mm stroke will make me keep the 385 or not. Going to compare it to my fresh rebuilt 505. Same bores just 505 1mm less on stroke.
Also 385 has quads like I like in the poulan 445. So I figure that will come into play too. Time will tell.

Little 3.3 craftsman chrome bore will be going for limbing saw too. The one like the predator 335 saws. ;)

View attachment 625066 View attachment 625067

Update:

Ice storm had stopped that weekend cut.

Finally got the recall for the cutting. So I could test the 385 and 505 out.
Tree I started on 32" didnt reach across last 2 cuts. Pretty wood. Was told ash but I dont know about that. 2nd tree was ash.

I worked on 1st tree and after I finished mine up. Went and finished the other tree for the other guy that was cutting with 272 036. He said you cut little faster then I am used too. He was still on the small end. :p

385 stock impressed me with 32" full skip. 505 had 28" full comp and it to impressed me being on its first tanks since topend rebuild.

I came to the conclusion I will be able to sell the 385 in the future soon. 505 does all I need done.

Pretty easily actually. At the bottom right hand of your post, next to "Post Reply", is a box labelled "Upload a File". Simply open that and
Started pulling P&C. Real good shape though rings look worn. Top ring was thinner than bottom ring so I'll flip them. Actually found in my parts pile, a single 4000 ring that's better than the old top ring. I'll use that. So far no luck finding new rings.
Are they the thin rings or thick, I read the 4000 has both styles. Hope mine is going to be good, someone has some rings but will never let them go. I would like a set if Mr somebody is looking at this and has any. Have a fun day

Latest posts

Back