Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some verification or new ideas. Just rebuilt micro xxv. New ring, carb kit, fuel lines, filter. Got it together and it wont start but did bump a couple times. I figured it was trying to burn the assembly lub and grease (connecting rod/crank bearings fell out so had to use grease to reinstall).
Got fire. Got fuel. Got O2.
Checked compression - 85psi - ugh Wore myself out pulling on it (at least 300 times) so hooked up drill to the flywheel nut. Still no joy
Is that compression normal for a new ring in a apparently good jug?
Dont yet have a pressure/vacuum gauge so didnt check that. Gonna get one next week. Im guessing bad seals could contribute to the compression reading.
Any valid ideas

I dont think seals effect compression . Compression is built above the rings. Seems your bore dosen't like your piston / rings.

So after looking over the craftsman 3.7 i bought for parts the piston looked pretty good....vent line was rotted so i real fast washed tank replaced the lines reset carb and it fired up.....the piston is a thick ring my other 3.7 saws are thin ring i think....it has one really light score on the piston but rings seem to be ok ran it with out a bar and chain got dark on me.....I have a bunch of echo 20 inch bars that are .325 ya all ever change out the rim and try .325? it needs a isolator screw in the back also but i did not even rebuild the carb yet....i was shocked it runs as well as it does when i washed the tank out with gas a very old gunked up filter was on it ... looks like the fuel line was replaced but the vent line was not seen i replaced both im sure it will run better with a carb rebuild looks like the oiler and manual oiler work to LOl.... buy it for parts and im thinking with mild work i could make it run.....pretty sure i have a heavy duty oregon d176 mount bar 18 inch ...ya all think slap a new 3/8s rim and new chain be better? I suppose i need to take off a bar and chain from the one i was going use this one for and see how it cuts would be prudent....It is a dirty oily mess but dang if with in 30 mins i had it running decent with out bar and chain LMAO...I have 3 brand new 20 inch echo cs 490 20 inch bar and chains i been looking to use on something..... was why i asked....but i do have the oregon bar that im pretty sure is the right one for it in really good shape....if it does not rain i will slap a bar on it and see how it does when i make some cuts...... worse case it blows up and i use it for parts.... like was intended LOL....im not even going to clean it till i make a few cuts.....what ya all think?

ps should i run it on the rich side since it has a lil blemish on the piston? i have run echo weed eaters hard that looked worse....

After you;ve been retired for a bit you'll wonder how you ever had the time to go to work.

Keep well.

I was just thinking that the other day.
My dad had told me that last year and I thought yeah right to myself. But dang if he aint right.

Any poulan Tim Allen BadBoy collectors needing a 22" bar for their TA BB saw?
I dont want to run this screen printed one figuring someone may want it for looks on their saw. Its used in good shape and the printing on it is what is left. Both sides shown. Open to trades or sell outright.

ptabbbarr.jpg ptabbbar.jpg

Nice Echo echo echo.

Steve

Just rebuilt it. Came lean from factory or last owner that bought it set it against the stop which was to lean. He said he just bought it last winter for his firewood cuttings. I fattened it up to the stop on other side when I got it but never checked piston.
Last weekend I pulled the stops to fine tune. Then few days later pulled muffler to open it up and she was scored already. Was still pulling 140psi. Got piston yesterday and installed. Around page 5 when I got it. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/echo/cs-590-wolf-review-bone-stock/

Hey everyone, good morning. I was cleaning out the garage this past weekend and have realized I misplaced the recoil rope and handle for my 8500. While I'm sure I can locate another handle for the saw (hopefully it will turn up), I'd appreciate knowing what length and size of rope I'll need for the recoil. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks for your time, Max.

Latest posts

Back