Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was at the farm I'd tell yall, got a roll down there my dad made ages ago when he use to repair the braider machines that made rope. He would run a bunch of rope to make sure it's was working properly before it was shipped back to the main mill.

Steve

Working on a 3700 I sold to a guy a year ago. Rebuilt carb and it idles and runs fine at half throttle. However at wot it stumbles, almost like its breaking up. Plug or is it the carb. Interestingly it runs better with the filter off. It’s a new filter.

I just reread what I wrote, I should have said running rich, but you got it. We worked on a Polaris atv that would run like poo with the air filter off, reinstall filter and runs great, wasn't enough restriction. My little Yamaha 2stroke 50 won't run without the correct air filter. Got to have the right amount of restriction. You could lean it without it and would run even worst. Install filter and fatten it up a bit and runs great.

Steve

Hey everyone, good morning. I was cleaning out the garage this past weekend and have realized I misplaced the recoil rope and handle for my 8500. While I'm sure I can locate another handle for the saw (hopefully it will turn up), I'd appreciate knowing what length and size of rope I'll need for the recoil. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks for your time, Max.

Max,
From the repair manual,

upload_2018-7-2_13-16-13.png

Check out the occlusion up inside the dome on an otherwise new 245 piston kit.

Sorry about the crappy phone pictures, but it’s right on a parting line too, with loose pieces of dross still coming out of it.

Needless to say, that one’s going back for an exchange, as it’s the hottest part of the piston!

I really can’t believe it was finish machined anyway ...QC in the casting department must have been sleeping again.

6E81192E-3362-40BA-A50F-990E17BC7456.jpeg

E7692066-BF9A-4BA3-A572-6A3A764D5489.jpeg

I put this in the "You Suck" thread also, so a bit of a repeat. I mostly only collect saws 70CC and up, but we used Poulan XXV's when my Dad was in business, for climbing saws. I've had an itch for one for quite a while now. I picked this up at an auction today for $10. Took it out to the truck while I was waiting for the bid sheet to get to the office. Dumped the old gas, rinsed and dumped again, put half a tank in, took the lid off to put a shot of mix down the carb. Was super clean inside. Put the lid back on and several pulls it fire up and kept running. Idles fine, revs up like a pizzed off Yellow Jacket. Got home and put a couple wraps on the starter cord, it was hanging out about a foot. Wiped the dust off, choked twice, and it started on the third pull. Runs fantastic. I just wanted to double check, do you think this is an XXV, or variant? It has a Sears model number beginning with 358, but I couldn't find it in Acres.
dDTFajm.jpg

hLBbWEb.jpg

3lGVz1D.jpg

ffMxqQl.jpg

rhL1oHr.jpg

You did well! Poulan used that XXV logo on both micros and the earlier S25 series, so it can be confusing. Never saw them use it on the red or yellow variant you have.

Definitely not a micro XXV. Probably a 2.1 cu size, as it has the off/on slide switch. May be a manual push button only oiler too, no auto oiling, but you can post a picture of the clutch side to tell.

Run the 358.xxxxxx number through Sears parts direct website & get the IPL.

Someone has been into it recently with it being so clean, the new fuel line, & the air filter is not all crumbled into pieces.

Never the less, that’s a very good top handle saw & the forerunner of the S25DA.

You did well! Poulan used that XXV logo on both micros and the earlier S25 series, so it can be confusing. Never saw them use it on the red or yellow variant you have.

Definitely not a micro XXV. Probably a 2.1 cu size, as it has the off/on slide switch. May be a manual push button only oiler too, no auto oiling, but you can post a picture of the clutch side to tell.

Run the 358.xxxxxx number through Sears parts direct website & get the IPL.

Someone has been into it recently with it being so clean, the new fuel line, & the air filter is not all crumbled into pieces.

Never the less, that’s a very good top handle saw & the forerunner of the S25DA.
Thanks, when Poulan came out with the XXV (25) one of our climbers wanted one. Dad always bought the climbers the saw of their choice. Next thing you know, all of our climbers were using them. It was the first top handle we used and was a fantastic little saw. When Dad passed back in 2004, my mom called and said she was having a yard sale and was selling all of their lawn and garden stuff. She asked if I wanted the saws. I already had all of his big Homelites. But, I didn't have time to get them, so I told her to sell them. I probably let a dozen XXV's and Super EZ's go, at least 6 XL12's and a couple mid size Echo's. I've seen a couple 25's for sale in the last year or so, and they were either junk, or expensive. This one hiding behind the Sears paint slipped through the cracks. I've bought several nice saws at this auction that had obviously been worked on, and I got them all cheap. Beats me why someone with the skill to go through these saws is letting them go at auction. But, I'm happy.

Sorry about the crappy phone pictures, but it’s right on a parting line too, with loose pieces of dross still coming out of it.

Needless to say, that one’s going back for an exchange, as it’s the hottest part of the piston!

I really can’t believe it was finish machined anyway ...QC in the casting department must have been sleeping again.

View attachment 660871

View attachment 660872
Is that slag or a dent?

Steve

View attachment 660871

View attachment 660872
Is that slag or a dent?

Steve

A friend called and asked if I had a saw with a longer bar than 20" said he had a old big tree that his 18" wouldn't work for him. I put my 34" bar on my 4000 and went over to his place, tree was down and 30" dia, pine. Fired up the 4000 for the first time of actual cutting with it. I was so impressed by the way it cut that log, just ripped right through it without even slowing down. I now understand the desire for the big saws, I want a 5200

Anyone know the deal on 49mm rings for 3750, 380, 3500, etc?
Are they available? Part #?

All I could find reference to for a current husqvarna/poulan # is 530030176, listed on various sites like parts tree as fitting a number of the 60cc models
but also with a few probable 54cc models thrown in as well.
I was ordering a fan housing so figured for $2 each I'd include a couple of the rings, will likely use them eventually even if they're 46.5mm.
Well, they were the smaller size, so now I have no clue what to order. Saws in question are a type 3 3450 and 3500.

For chits and giggles tried looking up pistons/cylinders, that also seems to be a real can o' worms, lol...

Looks like you can still get some variant of the 46.5mm bore cylinders for around 16 bucks, shipped.

I ran two tanks through the 3400 the other night bucking firewood. It ran great and pulled good after a little tuning. I do have a question though. It makes a rattling noise when idling. Originally I thought it had a bad clutch bearing so i took it apart only to find the bearing fine and the clutch drum spins nice and smooth. Upon further investigation it seems that the recoil is rattling. I can hear it when i shake the saw and that's is the side the noise is coming from when its idling. I think it is the spring in the recoil. Is this normal for these and should I just not worry about it?
Thanks in advance

@2broke2ride

Really nothing to rattle in the starter. I wouldn't think the spring would rattle unless it was broken. The other option would be a loose flywheel

It's very easy to not assemble the muffler properly. The front cover can be easily cocked at the bottom and leak.

That is worth checking as well.

One more thought. The bolt from the RH side goes through the AV and is often loose in the front handlebar. #45 might rattle if bolt #43.

upload_2018-7-4_21-20-44.png

The starter is definitely rattling, when I figured out it was coming from that side of the saw, I took the recoil off because I figured the coil may have loosened up and was hitting the flywheel or the flywheel was loose. I shook the recoil while it was off and it is definitely rattling.
Now it needs a new starter pulley anyway because half of the teeth that engage the starter pawls are broken off but I have been unable to locate a pulley and it was still working fine so I left it. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just look for a whole recoil or a parts saw.

Latest posts

Back