Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured if I was gonna do it, make something I could use again if I ever need it. Haven't checked to see what else it will fit. May have to check a 3400 crank. Tried tape and a coke can, couldn't make it work. I'll probably make one to do the micros and 2000's, 25's.

Steve

For the 3400 series try a piece of 1/2" copper water pipe. Works well.

On the gun forums, we call it WECSOG.
259g9di.jpg

How much end play is ok? Ive got probably 2mm and slight up and down

Up down is OK as long as it's around .005" or 0.13 mm. The drawn cup needle bearings tend to be sloppy. It may feel like more than it is so if you can check it with a dial indicator that would be good. Same check on the lateral play as it often feels like more.
Too much lateral play is bad on the 4000's as the piston can start to contact a sharp edge on the saw case and will cut a groove in the piston on the back side. I've seen a few like that.

Best to check it.

Changing lateral play is a pain in the butt and one of the few things on those saws that is. There are two bronze thrust washers between the crankshaft throws and the bearings. Sometimes they wear out. They were worn on my 4000.

The lateral play is set by the depth of the bearings in the saw case and they are a pain to get in the right place. Poulan made a gauge to set those but I don't have one.

Through trial and error I have set mine so the rod is centred and the lateral play is between 0.20 mm and and 0.46 mm.

Bearings are common BH-108 full compliment and so are thrust washers. PN. 530015354.

Up down is OK as long as it's around .005" or 0.13 mm. The drawn cup needle bearings tend to be sloppy. It may feel like more than it is so if you can check it with a dial indicator that would be good. Same check on the lateral play as it often feels like more.
Too much lateral play is bad on the 4000's as the piston can start to contact a sharp edge on the saw case and will cut a groove in the piston on the back side. I've seen a few like that.

Best to check it.

Changing lateral play is a pain in the butt and one of the few things on those saws that is. There are two bronze thrust washers between the crankshaft throws and the bearings. Sometimes they wear out. They were worn on my 4000.

The lateral play is set by the depth of the bearings in the saw case and they are a pain to get in the right place. Poulan made a gauge to set those but I don't have one.

Through trial and error I have set mine so the rod is centred and the lateral play is between 0.20 mm and and 0.46 mm.

Bearings are common BH-108 full compliment and so are thrust washers. PN. 530015354.

Ok cheers its enough play when ya tip the saw side to side the crank go's clunk clunk. I'll have a measure and see what I've got tonite. Thanks for the info

Back