Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOS 52mm cylinder and piston SOLD and has been paid for.

1 used 475 cylinder and NOS piston left.

Plus helping another shop out. = Guess a tree claimed another 475. But shop says its repairable.

Now I got someday calling saying they was told to get hold of me for a 475 tank. I was like sure I can pull one from a running saw for you or just sell you the updated 425 445 505 415 style tank. They ran it by the owner and they want it back the same as 475 used.

Told them no problem I will pull it from saw I just got and sell bare. Will pull all the parts from it to install into another 425 or 505 tank for my saw.

This tank I will sell them if they want it. I like the updated ones better anyways.
wink.gif

DSCF1082.JPG DSCF1084.JPG DSCF1087.JPG DSCF1085.JPG p475usednos2x.jpg p415ff.jpg

Very nice wood indeed. Media are here to try and steer us all. An assault rifile to me is something full auto and a big mag and you need a special licence to have them here cos lets face it your not shooting.

There is the odd hollywood whatever down here but no great influx after trump any way the ones that are here were here before that saga.

Cleaned up the 4000 piston. It will run. I also smoothed out the flashing n funny bits in the carb adapter spent a bit of time with the cylinder on some glass and sand paper have dropped it down a flysh!t and im also wondering about advancing the timing by a tad? Parts are going to be agis away so plenty time to fiddle some more if theres any suggestions?
20181019_235541.jpg
20181019_235314.jpg

That piston was so close to being junk and take the cylinder with it. Glad you stopped when you did. Your 4000 would have been a 3700 and that's also a great saw, I have 6. I'm not sure if you would get much gain from a advance of timing, easy to do anytime just have to make a key from copper penny. I'll get you some info on the bearing and seal tools, the thumb has been doing better each day

Yes very lucky think it will be ok. Glad your thumb is getting better Todd its a bugger of a digit to hurt. What do you guys think has caused all the damage? Dirt ingestion?

All that and it looked so perfect through the exhaust port. So no point advancing timing at all? I've shaved the key a little tid bit just so theres a bit of "slop" only a tiny we wee bit.

The bearings are at the shop waiting and the seals. Rings n thrust washers mite be a long long time fossel recons but good things take time. He saved me a lot of coin so thanks again Tim:)

Yes very lucky think it will be ok. Glad your thumb is getting better Todd its a bugger of a digit to hurt. What do you guys think has caused all the damage? Dirt ingestion?

All that and it looked so perfect through the exhaust port. So no point advancing timing at all? I've shaved the key a little tid bit just so theres a bit of "slop" only a tiny we wee bit.

The bearings are at the shop waiting and the seals. Rings n thrust washers mite be a long long time fossel recons but good things take time. He saved me a lot of coin so thanks again Tim:)

Watch advancing the timing/ They start to kick back. Starter pulleys for all models in the series are getting scarce.

By the looks of some of those marks you might want to check the bearings, crankshaft and piston wrist pin, to see if the rollers are all there. I'd be watching when you split the cases to see if there's any in the crank case.

Are there any tell tale marks on the piston crown or in the squish band / combustion chamber?

Yea every thing is there it seems unless it is something to do with the warn thrust washer and case damage. There not very deep but something did it and the cylinder is fine. Its the only piston I'll ever have so going to have to use it but I think it will be fine

Working on 4200 and need to know about the sawdust seal ,what shape is it and what's it made of

Pretty much just a piece of foam neoprene material to seal the gap between the tank and the case behind the carb to keep dust out of there. A lot of dust accumulates in there. If the saw is back together just stuff a piece in the gap.

I use the foam weather strip material with the self adhesive back. Shape doesn't matter as it's pliable. I use strip 1/4" thick.

The PS adhesive will give up pretty quickly so if the handle is off, add some other adhesive but I don't think its going to go anywhere.

Back