Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question but new to chainsaws. I have a thread posted in the Chainsaw forum regarding my Poulan 2300 and its idling problems ( https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-2300-tuning-issues.325146/ ), as at idle, it sometimes idles fast enough for the chain to spin round. Also, while holding it throttle down for a period of time, it still spins very quickly at a high idle. I had taked the air filter cover off to adjust the carburetor. I have tried many settings with still no luck. Then I stumbled across a thread that said to see if the adjusting worked, it is advised to replace the cover again as it acts differently with and without the cover attached. It has a new fuel line and filter and there is no fuel delivery issue that I can notice as the only time it died out is when I was playing with teh carburetor. Then I tried adjusting it again and I got it to stay running. I do not know the exact model of carburetor, but it has three adjustments. High, low, and an idle. Is there a proper sequence to adjust the carburetor in, ie in which order is it best to adjust the carburetor in? Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, but if one needs clarification, I can add a picture or explain it better. Thank you.

Sorry for this other question, but the air filter is in good condition, and I washed it in hot soapy water and let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling. However, it is apparently a discontinued item, so am wondering what others use to make a new one out of? Thanks again.

Sorry for this other question, but the air filter is in good condition, and I washed it in hot soapy water and let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling. However, it is apparently a discontinued item, so am wondering what others use to make a new one out of? Thanks again.

Any foam material can be cut down to make it, needs to be same type, eBay does have them occasionally,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly question but new to chainsaws. I have a thread posted in the Chainsaw forum regarding my Poulan 2300 and its idling problems ( https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-2300-tuning-issues.325146/ ), as at idle, it sometimes idles fast enough for the chain to spin round. Also, while holding it throttle down for a period of time, it still spins very quickly at a high idle. I had taked the air filter cover off to adjust the carburetor. I have tried many settings with still no luck. Then I stumbled across a thread that said to see if the adjusting worked, it is advised to replace the cover again as it acts differently with and without the cover attached. It has a new fuel line and filter and there is no fuel delivery issue that I can notice as the only time it died out is when I was playing with teh carburetor. Then I tried adjusting it again and I got it to stay running. I do not know the exact model of carburetor, but it has three adjustments. High, low, and an idle. Is there a proper sequence to adjust the carburetor in, ie in which order is it best to adjust the carburetor in? Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, but if one needs clarification, I can add a picture or explain it better. Thank you.

Your clutch could be getting weak, or you could have a small air leak, crank seals etc, carburetor adjustment is one turn out to start on H & L , idle so chain does not spin

530023791 is the part number, it is still made, take a look on ebay.

Oil the air filter and squeeze out the excess oil before installing. Steve
Thanks for the tip. I did not know to oil it. I will do a little reading on how to do it and type of oil to use. Thanks again.

Your clutch could be getting weak, or you could have a small air leak, crank seals etc, carburetor adjustment is one turn out to start on H & L , idle so chain does not spin. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help. I am hoping that it is nothing more than the carburetor settings. I hopefully will have time today to check it out some more. Is there any particular way preffered to check for air leaks, and any places in common to look for them?

Why can't I start my 25DA?
I've been chasing a problem with this saw for weeks. After a lot of futile diagnosis it turned out that there was a fuel delivery problem. The saw was running out of fuel after using it for several minutes. I thought it was a too restrictive fuel filter which ended up being wrong so I went further. The saw had the original seals so I did a pressure test and it was leaking from the PTO side so I changed both sides. I checked the points which look great and I gapped the coil. I also put a carb kit in the walbro carb while I was at it and saw that the screen looked plugged with a sort of grayish crap. The gas tank, I guess, was the source of this material because it had some corrosion in it. I opened the gas tank and cleaned it as well as I could. After putting it back together it started right up and, after tuning the high/low, it ran great BUT still quit after running for a few minutes. I thought maybe that fine screen in the carb blocked up again so I took it apart again and the screen looked fine. I tried running it again but I can't get it started now. The top of the Reed valve looks wet and it will pop off briefly and die. I was thinking maybe it flooded so I pulled the rope with the throttle wide open which generally works but didn't. The plug was dry so I have no idea wtf is going on.
Here is what I can offer thus far:
New fuel line.
New fuel filter.
New crank seals.
New P&C with only a few hours running.
When I did have it running it ran great.
If anyone can offer a troubleshooting flow chart I'd greatly appreciate it. Seems like I'm chasing my tail at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been chasing a problem with this saw for weeks. After a lot of futile diagnosis it turned out that there was a fuel delivery problem. The saw was running out of fuel after using it for several minutes. I thought it was a too restrictive fuel filter which ended up being wrong so I went further. The saw had the original seals so I did a pressure test and it was leaking from the PTO side so I changed both sides. I checked the points which look great and I gapped the coil. I also put a carb kit in the walbro carb while I was at it and saw that the screen looked plugged with a sort of grayish crap. The gas tank, I guess, was the source of this material because it had some corrosion in it. I opened the gas tank and cleaned it as well as I could. After putting it back together it started right up and, after tuning the high/low, it ran great BUT still quit after running for a few minutes. I thought maybe that fine screen in the carb blocked up again so I took it apart again and the screen looked fine. I tried running it again but I can't get it started now. The top of the Reed valve looks wet and it will pop off briefly and die. I was thinking maybe it flooded so I pulled the rope with the throttle wide open which generally works but didn't. The plug was dry so I have no idea wtf is going on.
New fuel line.
New fuel filter.
New crank seals.
If anyone can offer a troubleshooting flow chart I'd greatly appreciate it. Seems like I'm chasing my tail at this point.

Have you checked your points? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6bfc000cbe71&usg=AOvVaw2VkAHQS5hCu7b9SifwANrv

New fuel line.
New fuel filter.
New crank seals.

Start from scratch, the three things needed for any engine to run are
Compression
Spark
Fuel,
If it starts on spray & quits , most likely a fuel delivery issue, I would peek at the P/C again though

I looked at the float lever. I read that it should be even with the area casting surrounding the well it sits in.
I will also check the spark again. Thanks
The one I had a war with didn't have the float level set right and it was acting like yours

Latest posts

Back