Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bought a Craftsman 3.4, equivalent to Poulan 3400, and trying to rebuild it. compression 120 psi. took jug off for measurements:
measured ring gap - 0.101"
ring pin width - 0.060"
per my calculations the ring gap for 1.8025" measured cylinder should be between : 1.8025"*0.004+0.060" (0.0672") and 1.8025"*0.008+0.060" (0.0744")
ordered rings from Greece and measured ring gap. It is 0.101”; same as existing rings. am I missing something or are these rings too small? is this gap acceptable? is this the standard gap for the 3400?
help greatly appreciated.

When I put my poulan 361 crank and rod together, I found that I left one roller out. I’ve heard that Mcculloch cart people leave one out. I see no noticeable up and down play. So is it okay with one missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is enough clearance for a needle bearing to get crooked but I bet the extra space between the needles would allow them to slap against each other or somehow otherwise self destruct. Given the rpm of a chainsaw it makes absolutely no sense to leave out a needle bearing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Poulan S25 series starter housing baffle question:

How do you go about “cleanly” removing the three blind aluminum rivets holding down the flywheel air baffle plate inside the starter housing?

I’m assuming they’re just straight shanks & not the screw in helix types, and I plan on reusing the rivets.

Some older IPLs show that Poulan 530015241 screws are used instead of the rivets, but I’ve never seen them.

Good news. I was able to strip the black paint off the original 4200 cover. Now my next cosmetic Delema. An ugly grey starter cover.
87A8168F-994D-4F31-8183-AEEADABAF3F1.jpeg
Try to match some paint maybe ? Be nice to find a used green one.

Back