Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the sluggish AS site is now fixed & we can post up pics again...

Passing on a tip for a workaround for the Poulan 306 & 245 series felling spikes, or dawgs as some call it.

The intermediate sized Stihl 045/056 spike #1115 664 0500 can be quickly mounted by only drilling one hole & grinding back the lower tab at the rear. Stihl spikes are usually available for less than $10 shipped.

I can’t seem to find the Poulan #530002378 spikes anymore at a decent price, and l like to keep one mounted on my firewood bucking saws to help from bashing/beating up the front of the saw cases.

The Poulan mounting nuts & bolts are an oddball #12 size.

View attachment 687263
Thanks for the tip. And yes, those 12-24 nuts & bolts are a pecker to find. They're not much smaller (0.216") than 1/4", and I guess that over time, 1/4"-20 just overtook applications where 12-24 was used. They are still out there if you dig hard enough on eBay.

I guess I'm a bit more of a nerd than you guys.
  1. Found a picture of the OEM dog on the internet.
  2. Took the bolt hole center-center measurement from the clutch cover on my saw.
  3. Imported the picture (from step #1) into AutoCad and scaled it accordingly based upon the center-center dimension.
  4. Traced the OEM dog.
  5. Tweaked it to my liking (slightly longer spikes).
  6. Exported a DXF file and sent it to the sheet metal fab shop that we have here at work.
  7. They laser cut 6 of them for me from a scrap piece of 14ga galvanized steel.

I attached the DXF file if anyone is interested. (I had to zip it up first because this forum would not let me upload the raw DXF file.)

Attachments

• Poulan 306-245 Dog.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 6
Guess I’m not as frugal, or have more money than time, but you guys rock.

Here’s a $15 buffer tool that would take me a while to make...but you guys could easily make it with your plasma cutters, saw & a welder.
Works on 3400 & 4200 series saws.

69242DBA-9EB5-409E-9804-4CBA2E711AE3.jpeg

I know there's a lot more satisfaction in rolling your own!

Put the min together on PP445 #4 and she now is a runner. Sounds good.
Now to get all the missing pieces and put it together completely.

Did have a bad used ngk plug on bench I had to toss. It would just shut off like you flicked a switch off. Put another in it and ran fine idling etc forever. When I get her done a new Brazil or German bosch will go in.

Question for the day
You need to sharpen your chain and it's a little gummy.
Do you soak it and in what
Do you hand file or machine grind
What else do you do
How do you reoil the chain
Hope this is interesting

I've got a bucket of Mother Nature's finest - wasted gasoline. Cheap, foul smelling and effective. I soak ugly chains, bars, flywheels, clutches, drums, covers, cases, cylinder halves etc. Drop them in, put the lid on and leave 'em for a few days. I wash them in a tub of hot water and soap to finish them off. Afterward, I drop the dry chains in a plastic container and give them a generous spray of WD-40. Shake them off and hang them. If I am remounting them, I let the saw do the oiling. 20 seconds of idling and a couple blips. Some of the older pumps designs (Echo, Homelite,...) are gushers even at idle. The wood I cut is always pitchy. I tend to spray the font of the case and bumpers with silicone or WD-40. Helps with keeping the funk from sticking and makes wiping them down easier.

Hand filing is superior for me.

Looks like the sluggish AS site is now fixed & we can post up pics again...

Passing on a tip for a workaround for the Poulan 306 & 245 series felling spikes, or dawgs as some call it.

The intermediate sized Stihl 045/056 spike #1115 664 0500 can be quickly mounted by only drilling one hole & grinding back the lower tab at the rear. Stihl spikes are usually available for less than $10 shipped.

I can’t seem to find the Poulan #530002378 spikes anymore at a decent price, and l like to keep one mounted on my firewood bucking saws to help from bashing/beating up the front of the saw cases.

The Poulan mounting nuts & bolts are an oddball #12 size.

View attachment 687263
Acornhill has originals $16 with hardware . Or he did ...Good to know something else is out there

Guess I’m not as frugal, or have more money than time, but you guys rock.

Here’s a $15 buffer tool that would take me a while to make...but you guys could easily make it with your plasma cutters, saw & a welder.
Works on 3400 & 4200 series saws.

View attachment 687298

I know there's a lot more satisfaction in rolling your own!
To our Canadian neighbors .. What are we rolling ?

I used some 1/4 ID fuel line between the carburetor and the fitting on the tank. I shouldn’t have any issues with a fuel line that big, right?
Poulan 361

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1520 has some case bore chamfering info from ModifiedMark. You may want to do it first, to help the 6119 seals start in straight & easier.

Still can’t figure out how to go to an old page directly in the Stickies, but searching will do it.

You can use the bookmark feature for that. Too bad it's only a recent add on. Would have been great to have had it years ago. Anyway, you can just go to a particular page in a thread or a particular post and use the bookmark feature at the lower left of the post in the case of a single post. Or you could bookmark the first post of a page to bookmark the page, or the first post of a thread to bookmark the thread.

The bookmarks get stored in your profile area for indexing, renaming, etc. When composing a new post, the 'Insert Bookmarks' button appears at the lower left of the window to access your saved bookmarks for insertion into the body of the post like so...., MM's Case Bore Chamfer for SKF Seals (I believe the bookmark title shoulda referenced National Seals, but you get the idea.) A real handy dandy feature. Just hafta remember it's there and use it when ya run across somethin' worth saving.

Took the 4000 out for some wood gathering fun. Half a tank in and the little MRA tip on the bar let go:( never mind she went well till then. Finished off the job with the mac pm700 my mate was running the poulan at the time as he didn't like the vibrations off the riged mac (*****) any way he was in ear shot the whole time as I know the rules of lending saws and wives haha. He runs a stihl ms311 but it lost its muffler any way what he did have to say is the 4000 was really nice to run and the anti vibe was great and found it odd that there both around the same age saws.

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have a MRA style windsor bar lying about. I'm after a measurement across the bar tip so I can compare it to mine and determine the amount of wear on the bar. I'd like to get a new tip for it but at $60nz is half the cost of a new bar and chain and if it's too far gone I'll flag it n get a new 1 instead.

Latest posts

Back