Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to check RPM to see where they're at out of curiosity and to see how close I was by tuning by ear only to what spec says. With the 3700 that's harder as there's no clear spec for MAX RPM, but on my stihl 041 I have a spec for what the claimed MAX rpm should be and it's 100% stock. I'll adjust by ear and monitor the max RPM to see where the 3700 lands but I won't be able to easily test in the cut to see the RPM so I likely won't try. My Husky isn't stock either so I'm not going to touch it but it seems to be running well.

Side note, what grade fuel does everyone use in their Poulans? I use high test for everything but was pondering switching for the poulan only to standard 87 due to its lower compression. My husky is fairly high (180-200) so that'll keep high test. No clue what the stihl is. Probably 150'ish.

I checked and the stihl says only use regular low octane fuel. The poulan 3700 says use regular. I may need to start making 2 batches of 2 stroke fuel... Had been trying to avoid that but that should improve performance on the older saws.

I can get non ethanol regular in WV, but it’s 50 cents a gallon more, and I make 5 gallons at a time. I use Stihl synthetic at about 45 to one in every thing. I go through 5 gallons so fast it never has time to go bad. My new Stihls and my old Homelites seem to like it.

Idle about 2900 rpm and Max roughly 11,400. My ears started to bleed so I stopped. I was a little rich and leaned it out as I was probably 10,500 starting out and it was really noticeable that it was too rich.

Got vid at idle. Full throttle is a little tricky for video by myself. Also found I had to put the lead on the spark plug itself or else I got odd readings.

I'll load video later.

Here's pics of the setup. As best I can tell I'm still 4 stroking at this setting.

Attachments

• 2BC5C045-2E8C-4899-AAB1-CD1B631441EF.jpeg
    2BC5C045-2E8C-4899-AAB1-CD1B631441EF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 49FA9196-A42F-4676-991D-759910BD7C3B.jpeg
    49FA9196-A42F-4676-991D-759910BD7C3B.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 12
Screenshot. 48.6 hz x 60 = 2916 rpm.

It fluctuated up to 50 hz. Max rpm was roughly 190 hz (11,400 rpm). High speed is just under a full turn out. About .9 of a turn out roughly.

Side note this is with using 91 still at about 28:1 ratio. I'm switching it to regular. The tune shouldn't change much I think.

Attachments

• CE315A07-6507-4BFA-BBB6-6781548838E4.jpeg
    CE315A07-6507-4BFA-BBB6-6781548838E4.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 9
Tried my Stihl and struggled to get max rpm. The plug is at an odd location. I read that it may work better to use a wire to wrap around the spark plug wire but I couldn't get a reliable max using the lead. Idle I could get and was roughly the same as the 3700 at around 3000 rpm. Ears blead more so I stopped.

Well, the 4218 won again. It started after I closed the adjustment screws all the way off. After it died I opened them up some and it ran for about 30 seconds. Smoked like a pig then died again. I checked my plug and it isn't wet so that's a bit closer. Couldn't get it going again though. I'm going to leave it as my patience is very thin with it right now. Odd that my newest (albeit cheapest quality) saw has given me the most grief. I had fewer issues with cheaper and smaller poulans like my 2055.

Got the 4218 going. I'm not convinced there isn't a vacuum leak I'm struggling to get a good idle and it starts to fluctuate. I'm almost done with it. I really don't need it. Probably part it and be done with it.

Hey guys, how often do you find these modern caps swell up to the point you need a wrench to open them? I got this saw (used) two and a half years ago and I’m now on my second cap that has swelled.

B13D0B72-89C6-4734-BD2B-3A8D99C1C235.jpeg

My poulan 4218 has done that. I'm really surprised how poorly made it is. I wish I kept my 2775 vs it. Oh well. I'm gonna part this then maybe keep my eyes open for a good minor rebuild instead.

Got the 4218 going. I'm not convinced there isn't a vacuum leak I'm struggling to get a good idle and it starts to fluctuate. I'm almost done with it. I really don't need it. Probably part it and be done with it.

If you were looking for a good plastic Poulan for whatever it's pretty hard to beat a PP295. Lots of power for a 46 cc saw and very light.

I've seen them around. I'm just frustrated at this design that the 4218 has. It really is crap. I guess it's the stratosphere or whatever. It sucks that with the saw cost vs what I've put into it I'm probably at like $60 for it all but I've had enough. I got it in a good deal for a 3416 I gave my dad so if I sell the bar/chain plus a few other things like the sprocket and flywheel I'll close that distance back to $0 (which I'll use for another saw or a 20" bar for my Stihl)

Back