Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Steve I'll do a video or some pictures and you will see how easy it is .

This is not my idea, someone posted it over a year ago.

Yes you can do different diameters by using a different circle. When you get done grab it with small needle nose pliers to hold it together. Then you place it in the housing and your done. Easy easy.

I second that motion on the springs. Be nice if there was an easy way to to wind one. We've also used those vice grips and zip ties once wound up. Hands gets the cramps after awhile.

Steve Sidwell
There is a special tool for winding springs. I bought one but haven't used it yet. Got tired of my hands cramping up after winding and finding that the coil wasn't tight enough to fit.

I brought this vintage Poulan 201 back to life last night.I had to use a brake line off of a bicycle for a pull line because everything else pulled loose.
She’s barely been used and starts second pull cold start.

Attachments

• 19C0638E-E005-429C-A258-416C6E541C09.jpeg
    19C0638E-E005-429C-A258-416C6E541C09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 4B2B6E4B-9AE4-4934-A1B8-0B8C63A401FD.jpeg
    4B2B6E4B-9AE4-4934-A1B8-0B8C63A401FD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
That spring winder looks pretty slick.

I made this up (not my idea) some time ago and it works well. Finishing nails with some vinyl tube over them. Some of the tube will slip off when the spring is pulled out with pliers or clamped lightly with needle nose vice grips making removal easier.

The downside is the space required to swing the spring around when your winding it in.

The ID of the circle is 2-3/4" and has worked for anything I've used it on.

DSCF4237.JPG

I'm looking at 2 3700's. One for $75 and the other for $100 with a 26"bar, if the guy measured it correctly. Also looking at a running 2800 for $30. What is a guy to do?

Steve Sidwell
There has been one in Waycross for a couple of months for $75 . It is a factory bow but now has a bar . It looks pretty nice .

Here's one in Elberton, Ga but not my style.
9b1e19f53865fd280299a0923646b9f5.jpg

Steve Sidwell

View attachment 764515

Thanks, but I have not had much time for saws. Cbfarmall and I did make it up to Baraboo in August and took a bunch of Poulan Sandcast saws to display.
Well it's nice to see you Mark. I don't check out the Poulans much, I only have two. A Sears badged 25, and a barn find Super 68. I got the Super 68 at a farm auction for $40. Got it home and it started, idled, and revved great. I stopped in an old Stihl dealer in WV and he cut me a 31" loop of 1/2 for $30. I figured you would appreciate this one.

I was playing with some plastic saws today putting together a decent one from a few and I noticed something. I have 4 different bar cover/ adjusting things and there all broke in the same place. What causes this? Any idea on how to fix them would epoxy hold ? I'm new to thses saws in general. I just started burn wood for heat so I needed a saw and I like to tinker so I picked a few of these up cheap to learn on.

20191219_185158.jpg 20191219_184614.jpg I figure it has something to do with the way the chain was tightened. I just got these so the were broken when I got them. How do you tighten the chain correctly on these cheap poulan. One is a 3314, 4218 I pretty sure there all the same. Thank you

They were very likely broken by tightening the cover without having the adjuster pawl in the bar hole. I don't know of anything that will stick polyethylene or polypropylene..
Maybe someone else has had some luck with something.

You might be able to pop rivet some thin metal on both sides of the hole. Keep the heads on the inside.

Back