Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a 5400 this week from the original owner, even has original Poulan 28" bar on it. Piston was scored lightly but the rings were free and not damaged, so I pulled the jug and it had some light transfer on it. I scotch brite padded the piston and cylinder by hand a bit to smooth it out, put it back together and put new fuel line in. Then I cleaned it up a bit. Runs good, tons of compression so it should be good to go. (ignore the Poulan 6000 in the first pic, it's not mine, just working on it for a guy.)

View attachment 803828View attachment 803829View attachment 803830View attachment 803831
Nice find Nate. The 5400 is one that has eluded me so far.

Thanks Tim.

I’ve got a Sunbelt big bore 3400 kit, but note that these are “patchwork kits” at best because of the different than OEM sized piston & rings.

The white paper box is labeled Poulan 3400, yet the piston/cylinder is 3700 bore sized at 1.876” & it uses custom thick rings. WTF? It should be labeled a “Poulan 3700 thick” , lol.

However, the piston casting & machining quality, plus the chrome replate on the bore look very good. It will be a good runner if I ever put it on a saw.

You could never find the correct size Sunbelt replacement rings if you wanted to...kind of like all the little red barn AFM pistons. The 3800 rings will work for spares, after file fitting the proper 0.071” end gaps though.

6A198CA8-E5AC-4587-B758-A4C6EEC47BEB.jpeg

I think what you have is a 3800 cylinder and piston set. Could you Photo the exhaust port, that would tell what the cylinder is.

If you find the white box and its contents offensive I would be happy to take them off you hands so you have more shelf room, really I would!

Ken
Kind of a mishmash. 3800 has an aluminum bore and the 3700 a chrome bore. Hotshots has a 3700 sized bore and chrome cylinder but thick rings.

Kind of a mishmash. 3800 has an aluminum bore and the 3700 a chrome bore. Hotshots has a 3700 sized bore and chrome cylinder but thick rings.
And that is why I deleted my post apparently after you had quoted it, but well before you had replied, I had already deleted it. LOL

It is a beautiful day to be alive!!!
It a beautiful day to be in the woods!!!

This is the pair I will be running today. It is entirely possible that my battery powered Dremel may have seen these saws. Lol, base gasket deleted, mufflers modded, carb intake isolater cut to match intake ports. Exhaust ports have been helped a little. :)

Screenshot_2020-03-06-08-56-07.png

The Red Poulan blowing sawdust, I believe it still has original banana bar on it. 70 DL Oregon chisel on it.

Thanks Tim.

I’ve got a Sunbelt big bore 3400 kit, but note that these are “patchwork kits” at best because of the different than OEM sized piston & rings.

The white paper box is labeled Poulan 3400, yet the piston/cylinder is 3700 bore sized at 1.876” & it uses custom thick rings. WTF? It should be labeled a “Poulan 3700 thick” , lol.

However, the piston casting & machining quality, plus the chrome replate on the bore look very good. It will be a good runner if I ever put it on a saw.

You could never find the correct size Sunbelt replacement rings if you wanted to...kind of like all the little red barn AFM pistons. The 3800 rings will work for spares, after file fitting the proper 0.071” end gaps though.

View attachment 804008

That's neat Randy.

I did a little digging and that company is still in business making hydraulic cylinders but they had an interesting bit about Sunbelt's history history and that they did remanufacture chainsaw cylinders. I wonder if they made them for other companies models. I see they started as a Homelite dealership.

https://www.sunbeltparts.com/about.html

This is the first real cuts of this 3400 after I opened the exhaust port to look like a 3700. It is running on a fuel mix @ ruffly 43 to 1, 50% or so of the fuel is generic camp fuel under the name of Crown available at Walmart , the other part of the fuel is non ethonal pump gas, for lube I run Walmart oil TC-W3, bought in gallon jugs. I run this oil in all my gas powered 2 strokes, and have done so for 30 years.

This is a photo of the carbon that the white gas/camp fuel mix has losneed up and blown out the exhaust. I just simply topped this tank of fuel off with from my RC engine fuel jug when I did the base gasket delete and exhaust port opening. I have ran all my gas powered RC engines on Camp fuel for many years. It cleans all the cap off the Poston and cylinder head in short order and the engines come alive. The 3400 is running stronger after just 4 torches cut. The plastic cover and muffler side were clean and dry before using the saw this morning.

Screenshot_2020-03-06-10-58-10.png

If you are buying pre mixed fuel take a look at using Crown camp fuel and any oil of your choice. By the way , before many of you were even suckling air, AMACO was selling white gas exclusively for our auto use. Camp fuel has unlimited shelf life, pure fuel, non of the trash additives that auto fuel has today. Every can is a fresh gallon of clean, dry, pure white gas that is 80 octane.

NONE, actually NONE of our chainsaws are high enough compression to justify anything above 80. My old Skills 1661 manual calls for 72 to 82 octane.

Your milage may vary but according to the pressure on the consumption peddle.

Ken

Latest posts

Back