Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too!! I cant find any info that shows a different drum ever available,,, other than some seem to have needle bearings instead of the original bushing... I may take the drum off the PP180 I have here just to see if they are the same size...
Thanks for replying!!

Here is a pic of the clutch off my 2300 Cva parts saw. I also have the sprocket ,which isn’t in bad shape. A little worn. Is this what ur looking for?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Interesting,, maybe they did change the drums also, if that's an original... Does that clutch/assembly have a wide flat washer between the drum and the clutch? May have to swap the complete set... its hard to tell with out trying it....
Thanks for the pics...

They do work good, this warmed up 365 is my most used saw. If you find a Super 380 clutch cover decal, get two, my 380 needs one too. Lol
I sold my 380 back in 2015. Got 295 for it. Sure was a sweet saw.
I'm not a collector and both the saw and I were getting old. As a volunteer Firefighter one wet stormy night I was called out to cut a huge Oak blowdown that blocked the highway. When I arrived from the East several Guys had arrived from the West on the opposite side of the tree. I heard two Chainsaws cutting. The lightening was flashing rain pouring.
By truck light I began cutting from my side. Trying to cut the pieces Small enough to be removed. The Chief saw how fast the PP380 was moving. He had the other saws shut down. I kept ahead of the guys and made quick work of the tree. At the Station everyone wanted a closer look at the PP380. Turns out the other saws were Sthil 029. No way could they keep up with the PP. I own a few Sthils including a mm modded well tuned 029 with Rim drive 3/8 chain. Very sharp. It's heavy and used seldom but it's still more powerful than the Sthil 026. Can't touch the Echo cs590. At 73 years old the 590 is about the biggest saw I want. My favorite all time saw is the little light Echo cs352. My other most liked Poulan was a little old saw without a working brake. Just a simulation brake bolted to the handle. Im thinking it was a 2150. It was light. About 10 pounds. No AV. Maybe 37 cc. I bought a Husqvarna clutch cover and installed a brake. Red cover painted green. Mine had a MM well tuned, good chain and bar and onr day out cut a guy running a small Sthil with flip caps. No memory of Sthil model. Maybe 170 or 180. That's been several years ago. But I do remember the guy on the Sthil. I'd given him a tree from here on the farm for firewood. We were limbing it and his expression was priceless. I'm one of those guys that remembers back in the day you said the word Poulan and was proud. Life changes. Blessings to those new guys coming up. They will never know my world and ill never know much of theirs. Only 5 years ago, and it seems much longer. Saws keep getting better, I guess. Sure would love it if people could go buy a brand new PP380 again just like the one I had Good luck.

That was a good story. Love when the poulans come in for the save.

Years back I got a call from 2 guys that was trying to cut a pastors small fruit tree down. The owner of the stihl had just had it serviced too. The saw wouldnt stay running for them. No clue on the chain.

Friend that called me ask if I could come and help. I picked a lime green one for sure, Poulan 3450. Just so they knew poulan was saving the day. Cut that tree down and up like cutting butter.
I was smiling ear to ear. Even laughing with the friend about poulan coming in for the save over the poor stihl.

Now I did have 2 others for back ups in floor board in case something did go wrong. I wasnt going to go down like the stihl did if I had a issue. :drinkingcoffee:

Might have been this one that was pulling 180psi stock with base gasket. A logger bought it from me for limbing etc with 22"

p3450137.jpg

Interesting,, maybe they did change the drums also, if that's an original... Does that clutch/assembly have a wide flat washer between the drum and the clutch? May have to swap the complete set... its hard to tell with out trying it....
Thanks for the pics...
First off,,, thanks to everyone that provided info to this thread!!! I found a complete original, numbers matching 1st generation clutch, drum, washers set for this saw online for about the price of shipping!!! So its back in rotation, if I'm ever able to go wood scrounging again!!!!
Only hitch, its a 14" bar/chain, and I thought it was 16" like all the other small saws I have... Chain is pretty warn so I may look into a 16" bar when its done...

Attachments

• PB150117.JPG
    PB150117.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 23
Here’s a quick story. Last fall driving back to the shop from a service call when I notice something grey kind of on the shoulder/ditch. Reversed and stopped to find an old craftsman 3.3 grabbed it and brought it to the shop. Score. Now with this covid stuff happening figured I’d have a look at it. Replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned carb, gas tank, new impulse and fuel lines. Muffler modded it. Runs like a top. Just waiting for my bar to come in the mail now. Had a blast doing this poulan and now have the poulan itch. What should be my next poulan to get. Would love a pro saw around 60cc if anyone has any recommendations thanks782430AD-DAC2-4DFD-BE7A-7B93C85DD61C.jpeg830CE2BC-7FFD-4352-8964-547333BBC671.jpeg

Here’s a quick story. Last fall driving back to the shop from a service call when I notice something grey kind of on the shoulder/ditch. Reversed and stopped to find an old craftsman 3.3 grabbed it and brought it to the shop. Score. Now with this covid stuff happening figured I’d have a look at it. Replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned carb, gas tank, new impulse and fuel lines. Muffler modded it. Runs like a top. Just waiting for my bar to come in the mail now. Had a blast doing this poulan and now have the poulan itch. What should be my next poulan to get. Would love a pro saw around 60cc if anyone has any recommendations thanksView attachment 818337View attachment 818338
Good looking saw. Has a chainbrake, which most don't. For a 60cc saw there are a lot of options. You have the Poulan 3450 Type 3, 3750, PP380, an older saw(PP375) built on the 3700 frame. Poulan 365. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

120 psi I think is a little low for that saw. I would like to see closer to 130 psi.
I have a friends 2007 PP4218avx and just checked the cold compression .
1st pull 65 psi . 2nd pull 95 psi . 3rd pull 122 psi . 4th pull 139 psi . 5th pull 149 psi . 6th pull 156 psi . 7th pull 161 psi . 8th pull 165 psi . 9th pull 166 psi .

Latest posts

Back