Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friends 2007 PP4218avx and just checked the cold compression .
1st pull 65 psi . 2nd pull 95 psi . 3rd pull 122 psi . 4th pull 139 psi . 5th pull 149 psi . 6th pull 156 psi . 7th pull 161 psi . 8th pull 165 psi . 9th pull 166 psi .

Well I would say 120 psi is a long way off. I will have to look and see if I have one and check it too.

To all,
Tore my 245A down to nothing to see what is wrong. PTO crank seal was totally shot and the other was poor, renewed both. Looks like the top end got pretty hot at some point and scuffed the piston and cyl. Everything cleaned up well enough to use again. Honed the cyl. to a decent condition.
From my days (1970's) of building Arctic Cat racing sleds, I found that those chrome plated cylinders could take quite a beating and keep on ticking. The chrome very seldom peeled, even when severe porting work was done. There even was an outfit that could rechrome damaged cylinders for a reasonable price.
If this motor runs, I'll be happy. If it runs well, I'll be very pleased.
More later,
Ilovechainsaws

Try to remember to check today in a bit. :drinkingcoffee:

Did you send this freaking snow Roger? :cold:

I got a very slight scuffed one on the shelf too, I would bet it might pull that 120 I would think by feel.
We got about 8" of snow yesterday ourselves. I got out with the tractor and plowed the drive way so I could go to town today. Have fun.

I have a friends 2007 PP4218avx and just checked the cold compression .
1st pull 65 psi . 2nd pull 95 psi . 3rd pull 122 psi . 4th pull 139 psi . 5th pull 149 psi . 6th pull 156 psi . 7th pull 161 psi . 8th pull 165 psi . 9th pull 166 psi .

Goes right with Scott's above

This one hasnt been started since mid last year at least and IMO cant even be broke in. The yellow coating still on magnets of flywheel. Pulled 165psi

I didnt try the scuffed one as I had pulled the pulley etc from recoil at one time.

Here’s a quick story. Last fall driving back to the shop from a service call when I notice something grey kind of on the shoulder/ditch. Reversed and stopped to find an old craftsman 3.3 grabbed it and brought it to the shop. Score. Now with this covid stuff happening figured I’d have a look at it. Replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned carb, gas tank, new impulse and fuel lines. Muffler modded it. Runs like a top. Just waiting for my bar to come in the mail now. Had a blast doing this poulan and now have the poulan itch. What should be my next poulan to get. Would love a pro saw around 60cc if anyone has any recommendations thanksView attachment 818337View attachment 818338
Finally got the bar and chain in. Just in time for the weekend brap, brap.

Attachments

• 41204F60-8834-4029-A382-8BCB7FC1582E.jpeg
    41204F60-8834-4029-A382-8BCB7FC1582E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Different guides on that bow compared to mine.
eb740e25dafce58f2e5d5e1c56b83d6e.jpg

Steve Sidwell

Goes right with Scott's above

This one hasnt been started since mid last year at least and IMO cant even be broke in. The yellow coating still on magnets of flywheel. Pulled 165psi

I didnt try the scuffed one as I had pulled the pulley etc from recoil at one time.

I guess 120 psi means it is toast. Not even close to where it should be.

I am surprised you got a 150 out that. Yep a stuck ring is another possibility. I do not know how old the saw is.
I got craftsman leaf blower for free one time because it had very low compression. I tore it down to find a stuck ring. Freed it up and never cost me a cent. Still using it today.

New piston/ring and cylinder and never run, it should have more than120psi. Unless the ring gap is too big. That would need to be checked. Could be letting compression blow by. I'd drop a little oil down the plug hole and see if it would come up.

Steve Sidwell

New piston/ring and cylinder and never run, it should have more than120psi. Unless the ring gap is too big. That would need to be checked. Could be letting compression blow by. I'd drop a little oil down the plug hole and see if it would come up.

Steve Sidwell
Yep Steve it could be a dozen different things. New piston and rings and cylinder, makes you think it could be put together wrong.

Back