Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This lodge pole pine is the same way, 20 inch is a big one. I just run a 20" bar. All my long bars are on the 5400 and other 85cc saws

Yep same here Todd. When I go up to the mountains all I cut is lodge pole and hardly ever see anything that is 20". I have cut some large spruce with the brother in law that can get pretty big and then I will take my Poulan 475 and 505 with me. But I do not do those when by myself.

Was digging today for someone in need.

Checking my last 2 54cc saws before committing any of my 46.5mm pistons. Only used p I have left not sellers. 4 3450 330 cylinder in used left. One super nice. Have one 3.3 54cc 335 NOS p+c set. P would work but like to keep that set together.

Guy on the chainsaw repair group FB was wanting a nice set for a restore saw for a friend.

Forgot about these. Looks like 3 good 46.5cc 54cc pistons possibly.

Imo best set off those 3 above. Like new

Come across that new poulan 295 piston and cylinder set if someone ever needs one. I will never use it.

p33054.jpgp330544.jpgp33054444.jpgp330544444.jpgp33054x.jpgp33054xx.jpg

This lodge pole pine is the same way, 20 inch is a big one. I just run a 20" bar. All my long bars are on the 5400 and other 85cc saws
This was the smaller of the three I pushed over with the bobcat . The biggest was probably 34” . I don’t like fooling with them that big , that’s about all I can handle with my bobcat .

Green Lust/Gary, nice job! I like how you converted your 3.7 to a bow. Looks like a NOS elevated chain catcher on the bottom painted red, and I like the red on the bow as well. Right way to do it. Looks sharp. Let me ask a question or two: did you notch the case and the drive cover? How's the oiler performing? Why did you choose that 3.7 to convert? Did the Ever Sharp option on the other saw play a role? Nice clean saws, and enjoy! Max.

So I went out with one of my girls for a little afternoon in the woods. Small fire, hot dogs, pellet gun, a bit of firewood etc. Took a 3400 and an XL-1. XL-1 started wandering all over the place and racing. Turned out that all 4 nuts on the cylinder had backed off...again. First saw down. Grabbed the 3400 and it was running strong. But within 5 min. of cutting it was bogging heavily. Literally drowning in fuel. Case full gurgling and fuel streaming out of the venturi. Second saw down. Hmmm. I had already dropped the tree and wanted to tidy up beside the trail, so I tore it down on the tailgate. After it worked itself out of the deep end of fuel, it ran strong. Inside of the carb was spotless, needle sound, spring in place, check functioning. It was streaming bubbles in the tank though. I'll have to go through it again. I don't know if it is popping off too easily, heat, pressure or what have you. Weird, but this carb has had some difficulties. One the bright side, I did finish up the tree and it oiled really well.

Two Saws Down Day April 26 2020 (10).JPGTwo Saws Down Day April 26 2020 (14).JPG

Green Lust/Gary, nice job! I like how you converted your 3.7 to a bow. Looks like a NOS elevated chain catcher on the bottom painted red, and I like the red on the bow as well. Right way to do it. Looks sharp. Let me ask a question or two: did you notch the case and the drive cover? How's the oiler performing? Why did you choose that 3.7 to convert? Did the Ever Sharp option on the other saw play a role? Nice clean saws, and enjoy! Max.
Yes I notched the case and cover . I may not run this one I just like the way it looks. I have several bows on 3400’s and 4000’s they all oil well so I can’t imagine this would be any different. Yes the ever sharp is why I left a bar on it . Thanks Max

Good find! Looks like a nice 3700 bow saw with the vented air filter cover. It should have the heavy duty recoil starter pulley with the metal inset. Others can chime in on the way to positively determine if it's truly a 3700 in terms of rings and cylinder diameter. I'd take a find like that every day of the week! Max.

Good find! Looks like a nice 3700 bow saw with the vented air filter cover. It should have the heavy duty recoil starter pulley with the metal inset. Others can chime in on the way to positively determine if it's truly a 3700 in terms of rings and cylinder diameter. I'd take a find like that every day of the week! Max.
Yep you have covered. The only other thing would be to pull the muffler and verify two thin rings.

Figured I share a project of mine with you fellows.

The 86-523 check valve assembly that is very common to the HDB, HDC and SDC is getting harder to find. It is rare for anything in that assembly to fail except for the actual check valve. I know it is a pain to pull the tiny retainer and change the screen, but you can get the old check valve out and a new one in while you are at it.

I made some measurements on the nylon insert nitrile material used for those checks. Cobbled up a punch from an antiques stopper hole cutter at work. Had to taper file the inside bore as the OD was within 0.0015" of the diameter of the OEM check. The ones I punched are within + 0.001" thickness and - 0.003" diameter of the of the new one. Probably good enough. Those original checks don't last forever. Especially being 40+ years of age and having sat in ethanol, carb cleaner and compressed air.

Some samples punched out cleaner than others. A bit of shadowing in the photos, but some of the nylon will have to be carefully trimmed off.

OEM kit across top

Walbro 86-523 (1).JPG

All are uniformly round, but some punched out cleaner than others. Clean up the stray nylon.

Walbro 86-523 (2).JPG

OEM top. Redneck below.

Walbro 86-523 (3).JPG

Latest posts

Back