Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laughed alittle putting saw on the shelf. Seen it was going beside the other made up recoil I did for fun.

After putting the right handle on the recoil I put together from parts. Least another recoil extra now.

Then some pics I was helping folks on the different pulleys. 3 of them in this pic. Explained which way you could mix match with same flywheel and which needed a change of fly.

M.O. arrived PP445 is SOLD

psawszzzzz.jpgpsawszz.jpgpsawszzzz.jpgpsawszzz.jpg

Hi all, I’m kinda new to the poulan 4200 game. Can someone school me a little? Does anyone do mods to these saws or are they kinda just ready to go the way they are. Can’t seem to find any info on mods other then making a 4200 a 5200. Thanks

Checked with a member that had Husqvarna /Poulan dealer access. No PP5020 or PR5020 service manual.

Just worked on a brand new one. So glad to see them change from that crap yellow epa line they tried.

Another one that would start but not stay running. Easy peasy for me to tune for him.

Also removed last years mix he put in it and put some e-free of mine.

Plus confirmed the side tensioner I seen in ad sells pics.

p5020r.jpg

Anybody here ever used the piston and ring kit for the 3700's from lil red barn? Thinking I'd like to buy a set before the are NLA.
Can I remove the base gasket for any gains? Got some thermabond to use as gasket. Common trick for dirt bikes in the 80's.
Thanks.

Anybody here ever used the piston and ring kit for the 3700's from lil red barn? Thinking I'd like to buy a set before the are NLA.
Can I remove the base gasket for any gains? Got some thermabond to use as gasket. Common trick for dirt bikes in the 80's.
Thanks.

If it's not an absolute need right now for a 3700 top end I'd bide my time and find OEM. Don't worry about the LRB stuff going NLA it will be around for ages. The other option is wait for the dukes 4000 kit.

But yeah is a gain to be had in the gasket.

Steve will let you know his thoughts on LRB lol.

Think Todd has 1 in a 4000 in a Duke cylinder and its fine. The duke man is going to have his own piston though.

Thanks.

I’m not Steve, but I do agree with Jethro, only as a last ditch effort.

I wouldn’t suggest buying anything from Lee at LRB unless I’m giving the saw to my saw killing brother-in-law...or flipping it on Ebay with full disclosure of what’s in there.

Those LRB Taiwan made 3700 & 4000 pistons do not use the original high performance thin rings, rather they are fat metric 1.5mm thick substitute rings with excessive end gaps, so performance & compression is reduced when compared to OEM.

Then there is the wrist pin to con rod fitment tolerance issue & the WP bearing to piston issues...and no bearings are included.

I had asked this question last September (2019), but all I heard were crickets, lol.

“Any Poulan experts know the differences between the 530039088/530039111 and the 530039141/530047198 combination CDI type coil/FW packages for the late S25DAs?”

The 39088 coil is from the CVA’s IPL and the 47198 FW is from the yellow PoulanPro IPL, which also shares the same FW with the later plastic micro 2300.

Thanks, is Stephen (acorn hill) still around sometimes?

Got my question answered, thanks!

I'd stay away from LRB. You're better off finding a good used one. You WILL pay in the short run on those AM piston kit he has. As stated before, if you can hold off, a 4000 piston/cylinder kit is in the works from Dukes. I can't wait to see it when it's finally finished.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

I’m not Steve, but I do agree with Jethro, only as a last ditch effort.

I wouldn’t suggest buying anything from Lee at LRB unless I’m giving the saw to my saw killing brother-in-law...or flipping it on Ebay with full disclosure of what’s in there.

Those LRB Taiwan made 3700 & 4000 pistons do not use the original high performance thin rings, rather they are fat metric 1.5mm thick substitute rings with excessive end gaps, so performance & compression is reduced when compared to OEM.

Then there is the wrist pin to con rod fitment tolerance issue & the WP bearing to piston issues...and no bearings are included.
The piston kit for the 3400 includes the wrist pin and bearings, BUT they won't fit the rod, way too small. So, you are kind of correct cause you can't use them.

The piston kit for the 3400 includes the wrist pin and bearings, BUT they won't fit the rod, way too small. So, you are kind of correct cause you can't use them.

Was talking about the 3700/4000 pistons, but I don’t think the 3400 is even hard chrome plated, but it should be.

The 3400 was nice and polished hahaha. Shame he went to all this work for an unusable product
Yep, what a shame!

Is it starting to get cold enough down there for running the wood stove?

We are up to 97F (36.1C) today & per the weatherman it feels like 107F (41.7C) with the high humidity.

That’s just too daym hot to do anything outside but swim in the pool...

Edited for Celsius!

Yep, what a shame!

Is it starting to get cold enough down there for running the wood stove?

We are up to 97F today & per the weatherman it feels like 107F with the high humidity.

That’s just too daym hot to do anything outside but swim in the pool...

Wow yeah that's crazy hot.

Yeah the fire been going since end of March.
Been chilly the last few weeks had some good frosts and the ski bunny's are happy. Nothing like proper cold you guys get think our coldest in timaru this year was -4 or 5 so 23f. Inland gets more like proper cold but we all get the howling miserably chilly southerly :)

If it's not an absolute need right now for a 3700 top end I'd bide my time and find OEM. Don't worry about the LRB stuff going NLA it will be around for ages. The other option is wait for the dukes 4000 kit.

But yeah is a gain to be had in the gasket.

Steve will let you know his thoughts on LRB lol.

Think Todd has 1 in a 4000 in a Duke cylinder and its fine. The duke man is going to have his own piston though.
Nope, not in a hurry. Saws at 125psi and runs good, bit figured it'd be better to grab something now before eeverything becomes NLA.
Kinda like to keep it stock as it'll be lucky to run a couple hrs a year so extra power really not req'd.
I have that craftsman 3700 I bought for parts. Havent check compression yet. If it's in better shape then the Poulan maybe I'll swap it over and get the 4000 kit for that to toy around with.
Thanks guys.

In case anybody is wondering, gasket material doesnt make a good airtight seal for vacuum and pressure testing. Working on an old McCulloch 10-10 that I wanted to test to see if it was worth the effort. Couldn't get a good seal so ended upgrabbing a thin piece of rubber and made what I needed. Didnt leak a bit and ended up getting it running.

Back