Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut up some wood at a friends. Need to work on my sharpening skills. My saw still cuts to the right still. Looked at the teeth and could even see they were uneven. I need to take more time to get them good or I may drop them off to be sharpened and then try my best to keep them even after that. Saws ran great though.

Cut up some wood at a friends. Need to work on my sharpening skills. My saw still cuts to the right still. Looked at the teeth and could even see they were uneven. I need to take more time to get them good or I may drop them off to be sharpened and then try my best to keep them even after that. Saws ran great though.
Practice makes perfect.

Rakers set with a progressive gauge?

Just got the husky progressive gauge. I had issues before with a standard raker gauge. The progressive gauge helped get the rakers down and improve the cut but I’m still not filing the teeth on the one side enough. Small stuff I don’t see it but large cuts it’s noticeable.

Just got the husky progressive gauge. I had issues before with a standard raker gauge. The progressive gauge helped get the rakers down and improve the cut but I’m still not filing the teeth on the one side enough. Small stuff I don’t see it but large cuts it’s noticeable.

Ahh right. You'll get it then :)

Anyone ever try making an outer felling spike for the 3700? I like the feeling of the dual spikes vs the single.
I believe that I've seen husqvarna spikes modified for that, Dukes saw shop sells a modified version for 3400s. It doesn't appear to be in line with the inside one.

Anyone have a poulan 2000 or other poulan top handle they’re willing to sell? I keep seeing them pop up for sale but no where close. Would love to get a cheap one and put a small bar on for limbing

I believe that I've seen husqvarna spikes modified for that, Dukes saw shop sells a modified version for 3400s. It doesn't appear to be in line with the inside one.

Saw the ones on sawsalvage but they’re sold out and I only see an outer spike. I know some people have fabricated their own set for things but haven’t seen any in the 3700.

Anyone have a poulan 2000 or other poulan top handle they’re willing to sell? I keep seeing them pop up for sale but no where close. Would love to get a cheap one and put a small bar on for limbing

I had one I rebuilt and sold to my neighbor who shouldn't own a chainsaw for $50. It ran like a scalded dog. Think I had a video.
Poulan 2000 Running Link I will check if he still wants it, I have only heard him fire it up once. It was in great shape

Tried getting the 4218 going again. I think it’s purely the carb settings but it’s definitely being the most difficult saw I’ve had to get going. I got it started but can’t keep it running. Only fiddled for a couple minutes before I ran out of time. Wanna sell it once it’s running well (fingers crossed).

I used to use 325 in oregon LG, then stihl RS, then tried LPX years back and fell for that over all of them. But always wished they had it in LGX. They listened.

Now to see if it will be my new favorite in 325 or not.

Set up on a 3.3 335 chrome bore to test out to see.

View attachment 858960

Giving LGX a try after running LPX for awhile on my 372. Curious as to the difference in performance. Sending 4 chains off to be sharpened. Can’t remember which 2 I have for the 3700. I know one is the Oregon safety chain.

Was going to run a couple of my biggest saws today, and video them, but ran out of sun there by the woods and need to find my tri-pod. Will try tomorrow. Got couple large gnarly Burr Oak logs I want to buck up and eventually "noodle cut" them. They are way to big to handle. I cut a a couple rounds off of it last fall. Was all I could do to roll them. I hate makin firewood out of trees like this. Lotta work for an old man. :yes: I don't often use these bigger saws anymore, but might be nice to fire them up and give it a go. Its been long time for the 655bp & 5200. I did run the 385xp some this spring.

The 385xp and 5200 are both 85cc and have 30" bars on them. The 98cc 655bp has a 36" on it. Forgot how heavy these saws are, lugging them around today. Been used to my 3000 & 4000 saws. Didn't fire any of them up to see if they still run.... Just wiped the dust and grunge off and will hope for the best.

101_0005.JPG

Gregg,

Was going to run a couple of my biggest saws today, and video them, but ran out of sun there by the woods and need to find my tri-pod. Will try tomorrow. Got couple large gnarly Burr Oak logs I want to buck up and eventually "noodle cut" them. They are way to big to handle. I cut a a couple rounds off of it last fall. Was all I could do to roll them. I hate makin firewood out of trees like this. Lotta work for an old man. :yes: I don't often use these bigger saws anymore, but might be nice to fire them up and give it a go. Its been long time for the 655bp & 5200. I did run the 385xp some this spring.

The 385xp and 5200 are both 85cc and have 30" bars on them. The 98cc 655bp has a 36" on it. Forgot how heavy these saws are, lugging them around today. Been used to my 3000 & 4000 saws. Didn't fire any of them up to see if they still run.... Just wiped the dust and grunge off and will hope for the best.

View attachment 859574

Gregg,

Damn fine saws you got there

View attachment 859574

Gregg,

If they’re getting too heavy for you to carry around I’m sure some of us would be willing to take them off of your hands.

Hey, I'm hoping someone here is knowledgeable enough with Zama carbs to end my frustration.
Someone gave me a 3800 that had been sitting in their garage for who knows how many years and wouldn't run. Took me all of about 10 minutes to figure out that the fuel line had a big crack in it, and the carburetors diaphragm is stiff. Quick and simple fix, except I'm having an awful time trying to identify this Zama carb to get the right kit for, as it appears to be missing the normal identification numbers.
It's a C3A, and the only other numbers on it are a vague "W3 18Q". Can't find a single thing on it online.

Speaking of this 3800, are these considered any good? Worth holding onto once its up and running again?

Hey, I'm hoping someone here is knowledgeable enough with Zama carbs to end my frustration.
Someone gave me a 3800 that had been sitting in their garage for who knows how many years and wouldn't run. Took me all of about 10 minutes to figure out that the fuel line had a big crack in it, and the carburetors diaphragm is stiff. Quick and simple fix, except I'm having an awful time trying to identify this Zama carb to get the right kit for, as it appears to be missing the normal identification numbers.
It's a C3A, and the only other numbers on it are a vague "W3 18Q". Can't find a single thing on it online.

Speaking of this 3800, are these considered any good? Worth holding onto once its up and running again?
I think they were either S31's or S19's but not positive.
Personally I'd try to graft a Walbro HDB-8c carb from a 3700 on it, but not sure if intake is the same.
I think the 3800's were decent, but I think the 3700's with chrome cylinder and thin rings are more durable. My .02c

They did run a Zama C3A-W3 carb on the yellow PP375 too, but I remember that both the rebuild kits were obsoleted. The PP375 model is a later Poulan 3700 copy.

Also, I think I used a common Stihl GND-21 kit to get the correct diaphragms for it.

I attached a parts list that I requested from Zama corporate in Tennessee. Search for an old thread “PP375 Zama” that I posted 5 years ago.

“ The ZAMA rebuild kit is a RB-33 (Poulan #530-35285), but it is also NLA. Note that the ZAMA IPL has the diaphragm kit GND-23 listed as equivalent to a Poulan #530-035284, instead of OhioGregg's correct #530-035282 above.

The W3 metering diaphragm is a bit different than the ZAMA C3A-S series used on some Stihls, but I think every thing else is the same. The common Stihl diaphragm kit is an GND-21, and I will check to see if it's metering diaphragm could also be made to work on the C3A-W3, as only the outer periphery is different.

Edit, the metering diaphragm in the $4 ZAMA GND-21 kit works fine. No need to hunt down the obsolete -23 kit. “

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Zama C3A-W3 Parts List (for PP375).pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 10
Back