Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for a new sprocket and chain. Even your drive links have worn in the sprocket. What does the bar nose sprocket look like?
You mean this nose sprocket?! (Keep in mind - this was a no-run saw I just bought!)

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
It does not, they are separate functions.

I assume you have taken off the outlet oil tubing to the bar pad & checked for any obstructions.

Sounds like you need to replace the pump body, as the two midget sized check valves are blocked or faulty.
Thanks for the idea's.
Yes it appeared nothing was blocked but I'm going to take it back apart and have a closer look, maybe run the pump through my ultrasonic cleaner.
I'll report back, thanks again!

Nice saw, just courious, what is the purpost of the full wrap handle over stock? and what year is this saw, sure is nice. If I ever see one Ill be sure to consider one. What is the going price on a comprable 5200. Anyway very nice machine
Good morning. I believe the 5200 was made in the mid 1970's and is 85cc's. I have a Poulan 8500 with a full wrap as well. There are a lot of variants and differences with this chassis so I recommend learning as much as possible if you're on the hunt for one. The full wrap handle makes the saw easier for me to use and is more versatile. It's really a personal preference depending on one's performance needs. I try to equip my saws with full wraps wherever possible, especially larger cc saws. Regarding price, I got a nice deal on mine but have no idea what range the market will bring. To me, running condition, care, and cosmetics factor in heavily. Max.

Patrick , the sprocket nose teeth have been worn down flat . They normally have rounded teeth and are about twice as long .
Guessing the fact that the chain was on the bar backwards (when I got the saw) contributed to that wear. So that would also cause the chain to stop quickly when throttle is released? Since chain is resting on the nose of the bar, right?

Guessing the fact that the chain was on the bar backwards (when I got the saw) contributed to that wear. So that would also cause the chain to stop quickly when throttle is released? Since chain is resting on the nose of the bar, right?
All of the above. If you have it running, I would go with a new sprocket, bar and chain. I am guessing that will resolve your problem. The chain is resting on the bar instead of the sprocket.

Only other thing to check is the clutch spins freely inside the chain brake.

All of the above. If you have it running, I would go with a new sprocket, bar and chain. I am guessing that will resolve your problem. The chain is resting on the bar instead of the sprocket.

Only other thing to check is the clutch spins freely inside the chain brake.
The clutch drum (and connected sprocket) spins freely when I spin by hand or run the saw with bar/chain off. Rolls really smoothly, no binding. First order is to get new diaphragms installed and see if it runs properly, then go with a new bar/chain. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know if carb kit resolves the power problem, them I'll look into new bar/chain.

The clutch drum (and connected sprocket) spins freely when I spin by hand or run the saw with bar/chain off. Rolls really smoothly, no binding. First order is to get new diaphragms installed and see if it runs properly, then go with a new bar/chain. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know if carb kit resolves the power problem, them I'll look into new bar/chain.
You've got to get a new clutch sprocket also or it will ruin your new chain

You've got to get a new clutch sprocket also or it will ruin your new chain
Got it...thanks! Depends on if I decide to keep this one or sell after I get it running, and tell the next guy to replace those things. I just picked up another saw too (Stihl MS210), so running out of room.

Yes .
The small diameter 7 tooth sprocket nose bars work better on the older lower rpm saws .

Merry Christmas everyone. We've had a great year with some ups and downs, good days and sad days. As my favorite Canadian comedian I watch on TV and YouTube says, Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together. Red Green.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Got a surprise yesterday. Decided to repaint the rear handle on my S25CVA with the Operator Presence Lever. Had a almost empty rattle can of Sublime Green and was able to get two coats applied, Had a new can and used it for the final coat. Lo and behold, its lighter than the old can. Same code#. It is definitely noticeable from the rest of the saw. Damn. The old can was spot on for color.

Got a surprise yesterday. Decided to repaint the rear handle on my S25CVA with the Operator Presence Lever. Had a almost empty rattle can of Sublime Green and was able to get two coats applied, Had a new can and used it for the final coat. Lo and behold, its lighter than the old can. Same code#. It is definitely noticeable from the rest of the saw. Damn. The old can was spot on for color.
Grrrr

Just bought a 1982 Countervibe 3.4.(parts saw). Tore carb apart to clean, dont have a kit yet, will not idle even with idle speed turned way up, screws at 3/4 turn low and 1/2 to 3/4 turn high. only runs at about 1/8 open on butterfly, but revs normally.Seems rich, adjusted, cleaned needle.check valve flat,not stuck,clean. Probably excessive auto oiler.Good fuel lines, acceptable vent.Decent compression, piston looks more than good.Cant see anything that obvious to where it would not idle.Wondering if previous may have switched low and hi screws. Edit:Any saw I can't figure whats wrong is deemed a parts saw, lol. EDit #2: Finally deduced the PO inserted the wrong plate gasket in the carb.Guess I know now why she didn't idle since the idle circuit was effectively blocked off,lol.Went to cut wood, put cylinder cover on,saw starts,stalls, guess I'm pinching the gas line, put it away before i started throwing saws around the yard.

Well at least it wasn't house paint. We couldn't tell it until the paint dried, want to talk about not being happy. I feel you pain on that.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Yep matching up car paint the same way. Same code and mix off just hair. Boy did that pizz me off on a brand new IROC hood back in the day because of acid rain crap.

Back