Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a little more time on the PP295 yesterday/today. I rebuilt one more carburetor and installed it and the saw seems to behave now.

Tim - I did test the check valves on both carburetors and they were fine. The check valve really only comes into play when the saw is idling, at high speed the valve has to be open in order for the high speed circuit to pass fuel.

Mark

Anyone run a poulan pro 5020?
Grabbed one at a yard sale for $20
That's a Great Deal!,

No powerhouse, but with a sharp chain I was able to pair it with my MS261 and cut all day.

If you like your saws perfectly tuned, you'll have to re-adjust the High & Low jet screws as they will rattle a little loose with every use.

Mad3400

That's a Great Deal!,

No powerhouse, but with a sharp chain I was able to pair it with my MS261 and cut all day.

If you like your saws perfectly tuned, you'll have to re-adjust the High & Low jet screws as they will rattle a little loose with every use.

Mad3400
Thanks!

That's a Great Deal!,

Mad3400
Thanks!

Well I didn't have enough saws all tore apart at once so I worked on a craftsman 3.3 ( old version) today at lunch. Had already deep cleaned it and removed the carb so it was a quick carb rebuild/ install. Fired up quick and revved nicely. That's the good news.
The bad news is it leaks fuel. I was out of time but at a glance it looked like it was leaking at a seam on the bottom. Any one have experience with this?
I love the way it sounds and feels so if I can get the leak stopped I will be looking for an air filter and air box cover. Chainsawr has one ( cover) for $8 which is fair but haven't checked shipping. Imo he's a little goofy on shipping at times.

Did a little test drive at lunch. Ran like a scalded hound after. 2 pull start. No leaks but the front av mount popped out of it's holes the first time I pulled up on the rear handle a bit. One thing after another. Really like the way it started and ran tho.

Would like to thank the fellas thank gave a thumbs up to buying/repairing the craftsman version of the 3.3 and 3.7. Have both going now and I am quite pleased. Still going to add a couple new things, choke rod on the 3.7 & and air box cover on the 3.3 but they run great.
Bucked up a decent sized shagbark today with the 3.7 today and it did very well. Wouldn't be ashamed to take it anywhere. Screenshot_20220730-205200.png

Would like to thank the fellas thank gave a thumbs up to buying/repairing the craftsman version of the 3.3 and 3.7. Have both going now and I am quite pleased. Still going to add a couple new things, choke rod on the 3.7 & and air box cover on the 3.3 but they run great.
Bucked up a decent sized shagbark today with the 3.7 today and it did very well. Wouldn't be ashamed to take it anywhere. View attachment 1006706

I raced in shag bark many years ago at a IN gtg. Just brought that up since you list IN.

meingtg.jpg

I raced in shag bark many years ago at a IN gtg. Just brought that up since you list IN.

View attachment 1006767
Yep lots of that round these parts! Lots of benefits to shagbark hickory. Awesome btu, longevity in the stove and most of all you get plenty of practice sharpening chain when you cut it!! Two tanks , sharpen_ two more tanks, sharpen_ repeat!!!! Lol

I’m looking for help identifying an older Poulan saw. The clutch cover says 306A, but the ID tag says 245A.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
245A because of the tin muffler, tall tank & high handlebar. Early saw w/ points ignition.

Pry that rusted muffler cap off & pull screen & baffles to see how bad the piston & bore are scored up, it is likely the reason why it was parked.

245A because of the muffler, tall tank & high handlebar. Early saw w/ points ignition.

Pry that rusted muffler cap off & pull screen & baffles to see how bad the piston & bore are scored up, it is likely the reason why it was parked.
I did take muffler off, the cylinder and piston don’t look bad. It has no starter assembly, maybe the rope broke and never got it fixed?

Latest posts

Back