Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't sit around and wait on me if you seriously want it. I'd just say good for you. I'll grab it if I get close to there but it's a bit of a drive so I'd have to be going that direction anyway. Now if he would come north a little to meet..........!!
I think it would be a bit of a hike for me too. I haven’t seen it pop up on FB Marketplace, so I’m guessing it’s not anywhere near the Bremerton area in Washington. Wicked cool saw, though! If I had seen it in my area, it would be sold already. 😎

Hello Poulan peoples. I’m on a search for a NOS piston and rings for a 5400 Counter vibe. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Poulan peoples. I’m on a search for a NOS piston and rings for a 5400 Counter vibe. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried Lil Red Barn Power Equipment Supply? They have A LOT of pistons and rings. You could also measure your piston and rings and get something the same size that looks similar.

I would probably rather wait for a blue moon to rise than buy a LRB piston. I know that many have had great success with their piston kits but I absolutely avoid dealing with them like the plague unless I'm terribly desperate. (Personal grudge/grumpy old man.....). I'd take a good used part over LRB to be honest!

I'll just wait patiently for a different piston to drop out of the sky :). I'm not opposed to AM, just not those guys. I'm surprised that Proline doesn't have a 5400 piston kit. They seems to have a lot of options these days.

The saw still has great compression and the rings are fine, but there is some wear on the piston. Maybe there is more going on than just a well used top end but it looks like it just got hot.

So...if anyone has a good used part then let me know 👍

I would probably rather wait for a blue moon to rise than buy a LRB piston. I know that many have had great success with their piston kits but I absolutely avoid dealing with them like the plague unless I'm terribly desperate. (Personal grudge/grumpy old man.....). I'd take a good used part over LRB to be honest!

I'll just wait patiently for a different piston to drop out of the sky :). I'm not opposed to AM, just not those guys. I'm surprised that Proline doesn't have a 5400 piston kit. They seems to have a lot of options these days.

The saw still has great compression and the rings are fine, but there is some wear on the piston. Maybe there is more going on than just a well used top end but it looks like it just got hot.

So...if anyone has a good used part then let me know 👍
Since that’s the case, you could try out the controversial idea of honing your cylinder and cleaning up the piston with scotch bright. You can even try scotch brighting the outside surface of the ring, if you can’t find replacement rings. Some are firmly against honing, but I’ve had success with it so far. Of course, this is just in case you can’t find a NOS set.

I posted this on some other thread.
I had been busy with a 5400 that found it's way to my door, ill blame the post office. It was very dirty and just started to get a little bit of straight gassed but I got it cleaned up and new rings, bearings ect. It's back to PXL_20230313_151818456.jpgPXL_20230313_151828210.jpgbeing a good runner.

Yes if the bore is 2.063 or very close it is a 5200 borye. 1.945 or so make it a 4200. A picture or two would be great help to get it correct.
If you remove the 2 small screws on the front of the muffler you can pull the box out and measure the bore. Insert a small stick in and mark the edge of the cylinder and measure it.

Back