Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the paper under that Craftsman 3.7 wasn’t that old. 2009 local paper.

Still had a unsharpened Oregon 76 3/8 chain for back up and a 1/3 used 76 still on it in good shape.

Cool part on the 50/50 drawing I see here. It was the thin ring 3700 topend.
When I seen that bare piston without seeing ring yet I knew. :cool:

:cheers:

c37tttttttttttttt.jpgc37tttttttttttttttttt.jpgc37ttttttttttttt.jpgc37ttttttttttt.jpgc37ttttttttt.jpgc37ttttt.jpgc37ttttttt.jpgc37tt.jpgc37ttt.jpg

Don't have red yet but I have my lime green and a gray one. Red is on my wish list just because!
I got 2 red thin ring ones here now. One been gone through.

Red thin 3.7, grey the 3.0 that is really 3.4 and 4000 I bought for parts but is a runner.

All my saws in these can go.

Well the paper under that Craftsman 3.7 wasn’t that old. 2009 local paper.

Still had a unsharpened Oregon 76 3/8 chain for back up and a 1/3 used 76 still on it in good shape.

Cool part on the 50/50 drawing I see here. It was the thin ring 3700 topend.
When I seen that bare piston without seeing ring yet I knew. :cool:

:cheers:

View attachment 1066932View attachment 1066933View attachment 1066934View attachment 1066935View attachment 1066936View attachment 1066937View attachment 1066938View attachment 1066939View attachment 1066940
Seems to be the case more often than not. My 3.7 was like new, still had the stenciling on the bar. Stored in its case. Here’s the story on crftsman saws. Just like now homeowner/occasional user would go to Sears and buy a saw. Use it a few times, then back in the case in the shed. Sat a few years, stale gas, no start. Buy another. Except now, Sears or the box store doesn’t sell a saw like these. Now consumer saws are throw away, with some exceptions. I’ve posted it here before these saws were expensive in ‘85. $300 or so. Nice find. There’s more hiding out there.

Anyone here ever overbore a 5200/5400 cylinder? I have one with a decent gouge in it and was considering going to a 54 or 55mm piston from a different saw.

Any info would be great if you have done this.
A project for Todd. I think the biggest hurdle will be the wrist pin setup

Anyone here ever overbore a 5200/5400 cylinder? I have one with a decent gouge in it and was considering going to a 54 or 55mm piston from a different saw.

Any info would be great if you have done this.
Think me and @Todd Loosli already told you clean that one up over on poulan group. Just hoping the rings wasnt hurt.

Again price boring and plating a blind cylinder sometime. Thats if you can even get anyone to do the blind cylinder anymore. They are getting tougher to find.

Seems to be the case more often than not. My 3.7 was like new, still had the stenciling on the bar. Stored in its case. Here’s the story on crftsman saws. Just like now homeowner/occasional user would go to Sears and buy a saw. Use it a few times, then back in the case in the shed. Sat a few years, stale gas, no start. Buy another. Except now, Sears or the box store doesn’t sell a saw like these. Now consumer saws are throw away, with some exceptions. I’ve posted it here before these saws were expensive in ‘85. $300 or so. Nice find. There’s more hiding out there.
One guy I got 3 from might have been like that. 1 3.7 red thin, 1 3.7 red thick and a red top handle micro.

Still have the thin ring one.

c37.jpg

Yep I wont look at those.

Plus the grey 3.7 poulan too.
I kept my thin ring saw. I’ve had many of all the others 34,30,3800. I don’t take the roper saws either. I’ve always thought a tight 3.7/3700 ran right with a 4000, definitely a difference from the 34/3800 saws. Having had both I couldn’t tell a difference. Sold the 4000 saws. Maybe with a 24” bar. I ran a 28” on my 3.7. We were cutting a big maple at my grandma’s years ago and the 2100xp would not start (bad intake block found later). I put it on the craftsman and went to work. Manual oil pump helps with the long bar and I let the saw dig.

Think me and @Todd Loosli already told you clean that one up over on poulan group. Just hoping the rings wasnt hurt.

Again price boring and plating a blind cylinder sometime. Thats if you can even get anyone to do the blind cylinder anymore. They are getting tougher to find.
I know but I just cant put it back like that. Last resort if I have to but I also enjoy the build. Plus how cool would it be to have more CC on tap?

I know but I just cant put it back like that. Last resort if I have to but I also enjoy the build. Plus how cool would it be to have more CC on tap?
Do a search for U S Cylinder or something like that. Places that do that or they used to. Last i looked it was 300-400 to do.

Do a search for U S Cylinder or something like that. Places that do that or they used to. Last i looked it was 300-400 to do.
We had a thread about this again not long ago on FB. US Chrome not even accepting cylinders from private individuals anymore. Most go through a dealer they use.

This was from another thread in Jan.

usc.jpg

A retired faller in Ontario decided to let it go since he wasn’t falling for a living. He stil had his work saws that hopefully he will remember me when he decides to let them go
Well if you ever decide to let go of that beautiful 5400 let me know!! I know it’s not for sale just saying!!

Latest posts

Back